Raiders Defense

Rolni

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If we could somehow get Simmons or Brown this defense will be so dynamic.  Add Simmons and our back seven will look like the dog fight at the end of Top Gun when we play the Chiefs.  Bodies will be flying around all over the place and Mahomes would definitely think twice about taking off when we have that many big hitters ready to meet him on the edges.  I still wished we could have seen Abram and Joseph together.

Okudah would be jackpot

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 11:02 PM, BayRaider said:

Nice video but one thing I noticed is how urgent Collins is, impressed with his quickness and body control, knows when to spin when he feels the leverage and its not just a showy move. Crosby as we know is active and urgent 100% of the time and should only get better as his counters improve. The thing that strikes me is how Ferrell looks like a plodder, effort is there but he looks so slow to change direction, feel the leverage and rip or spin. Just doesn't seem natural to him, he hasn't got the urgency in those clips. That's not to say he's not going to be a very solid base end but he's never going to be confused with Crosby or a Bosa. I actually like the balance and Collins could be the difference maker. Whilst im aware it is only highlights, very impressed with Collins and he should make a big difference as he should draw doubles away from the ends.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Okudah - Randall - Abram - Mullen 

That'd be the best secondary we've had in a long, long time. 

And Randall being the aging veteran at what? 26? 27?

I hope Marinelli is already in Key, Hurst, etc ear during this down time. Need them to hit the ground running come TC

Edited by CaliforniaKid7
  • Like 2

Really, really digging our FA signings thus far, especially on D.

• DT - Collins is a legitimate interior pass-rusher who should start day 1. Another year under Rod and in a contract year again and I expect him to soar. Only 24.
  • DE - Nassib is a high-end rotational piece who can start in a pinch. All around defender who has a non-stop motor. Was a Captain for TB too iirc. Only 26.
  • LB - Littleton is a legit stud modern day LB. In the upper tier of pass coverage and a good tackler/blitzer. Only 26.
  • LB - Kwiatkoski looked like a very solid LB in relief duty for the Bears. Capable in pass coverage but bringa a physical presence to our LB corp. Only 26
  • FS -Randall is coming off a down year but showed flashes of great play. Brings exactly what we were missing in the secondary with speed, range and ball skills. Only 27.
  • SS - Heath is a good STer and a solid option as a 3rd Safety and is a physical former Captain. Only 27.

We got much faster, physical, versatile, deeper and younger. We likely have 4 new starters and 2 guys who will be heavily in rotation.

• Like 5

On 4/6/2020 at 4:42 AM, Darbsk said:

Nice video but one thing I noticed is how urgent Collins is, impressed with his quickness and body control, knows when to spin when he feels the leverage and its not just a showy move. Crosby as we know is active and urgent 100% of the time and should only get better as his counters improve. The thing that strikes me is how Ferrell looks like a plodder, effort is there but he looks so slow to change direction, feel the leverage and rip or spin. Just doesn't seem natural to him, he hasn't got the urgency in those clips. That's not to say he's not going to be a very solid base end but he's never going to be confused with Crosby or a Bosa. I actually like the balance and Collins could be the difference maker. Whilst im aware it is only highlights, very impressed with Collins and he should make a big difference as he should draw doubles away from the ends.    

Yes! Collins suddenness/burst is really impressive.  Everything he does it powerful and instant.  
I think his addition will really allow us to get more pressure and sacks, even if his sack total isn’t itself impressive.  Look at at how if he’s lined up on a G he forces the C to double down or at least roll towards him.  
This will do 2 things:  allow delayed LB blitzers to come flying through the C’s gap 2. And when he’s lined up on the c (I Think this is a huge point... Dallas got great results rushing Jay Ratliff as a 1Tech: before Marinelli was there) it forces a Guard to slide his protection inside and he can’t help out the OT and also it opens up the space the DE can rush through.  A DE with speed/bend like Crosby will always force a OT to respect the outside rush... but with that inside lane opened up the DE can work inside very easily.

And all of this comes because of Collins suddenness.  If left 1 on 1 he can blow by a guy so freggin fast that iOL have to slide protections inward,,, opening up space and freeing up DEs for more 1:1’s with OTs.

even if Collins only has 6 sacks he would realistically be the driving force for Crosby/Ferrell/etc to have big improvements in sacks.

this is also why if we add another pass rusher (I’m still in the bring d.jordan back camp though) I’d like a speedy/agile/bendy guy.  Like Okwara from ND.  He could slide into late round 2 cuz of his leg injury and lack of medical testing With covid.  I think his game is something we lack.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yes! Collins suddenness/burst is really impressive.  Everything he does it powerful and instant.  
I think his addition will really allow us to get more pressure and sacks, even if his sack total isn’t itself impressive.  Look at at how if he’s lined up on a G he forces the C to double down or at least roll towards him.  
This will do 2 things:  allow delayed LB blitzers to come flying through the C’s gap 2. And when he’s lined up on the c (I Think this is a huge point... Dallas got great results rushing Jay Ratliff as a 1Tech: before Marinelli was there) it forces a Guard to slide his protection inside and he can’t help out the OT and also it opens up the space the DE can rush through.  A DE with speed/bend like Crosby will always force a OT to respect the outside rush... but with that inside lane opened up the DE can work inside very easily.

And all of this comes because of Collins suddenness.  If left 1 on 1 he can blow by a guy so freggin fast that iOL have to slide protections inward,,, opening up space and freeing up DEs for more 1:1’s with OTs.

even if Collins only has 6 sacks he would realistically be the driving force for Crosby/Ferrell/etc to have big improvements in sacks.

this is also why if we add another pass rusher (I’m still in the bring d.jordan back camp though) I’d like a speedy/agile/bendy guy.  Like Okwara from ND.  He could slide into late round 2 cuz of his leg injury and lack of medical testing With covid.  I think his game is something we lack.  

Agree with all this, great point about opening the inside lanes for the ends. I cant say i really new much about Collins before his signing but im really looking forward to see what he can bring.

With the additions, they have added on defense in FA. I can't wait to see PG really use his bread and butter scheme with the Double a gap. Raiders lacked the LB's and Safety to really run it without putting themselves at a disadvantage. The addition of Nssib and Collins fit perfectly into the scheme. I would imagine they would want to have Ferrell at DE and have Nassib inside on passing downs. That is due to draft position and giving Ferrell the best chance to succeed. Collins slips into the 4th guy on the DL who is perfect at just shooting the gap and getting penetration.

With this defense its a lot of bluffing on who is coming are the LB's coming or is the safety that is on the LOS coming or the nickle CB coming. It gives you a lot of options on defense out of one formation. Can send a LB and a safety on the Blitz or both LB's drop into coverage while the Safety and Nickle CB blitz.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Abram get a lot of playing time at LB in this package so he can play close to the LOS. Maxx Crosby should have a huge season with the additions added because with this scheme it gives him an opportunity to play one on one with an OT that he may have not normally get with a RB chipping him or an OG double him which happened quite a bit his rookie year.

It's a great defense and really fun to watch when you're watching the coaching film on game pass. Can't wait to see it on the field. It was a huge reason why I was so happy about the PG hire when it happened. Should see a very very very different defense on the field in 2020

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

With the additions, they have added on defense in FA. I can't wait to see PG really use his bread and butter scheme with the Double a gap. Raiders lacked the LB's and Safety to really run it without putting themselves at a disadvantage. The addition of Nssib and Collins fit perfectly into the scheme. I would imagine they would want to have Ferrell at DE and have Nassib inside on passing downs. That is due to draft position and giving Ferrell the best chance to succeed. Collins slips into the 4th guy on the DL who is perfect at just shooting the gap and getting penetration.

With this defense its a lot of bluffing on who is coming are the LB's coming or is the safety that is on the LOS coming or the nickle CB coming. It gives you a lot of options on defense out of one formation. Can send a LB and a safety on the Blitz or both LB's drop into coverage while the Safety and Nickle CB blitz.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Abram get a lot of playing time at LB in this package so he can play close to the LOS. Maxx Crosby should have a huge season with the additions added because with this scheme it gives him an opportunity to play one on one with an OT that he may have not normally get with a RB chipping him or an OG double him which happened quite a bit his rookie year.

It's a great defense and really fun to watch when you're watching the coaching film on game pass. Can't wait to see it on the field. It was a huge reason why I was so happy about the PG hire when it happened. Should see a very very very different defense on the field in 2020

Great write up man. It is exciting because PG needs talent to really run this defense the way it's designed to run and we're so close to being able to accomplish that. We need one more boundary coverage guy and we can start seeing some improvement. Excited to finally watch some decent defense on Sundays.

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I can’t remember when we had a defense that would consistently surprise the defense with blitzers.  It’s been a long long time.  I can’t wait!  I’d also like to say a lot of people got on PG (and he did deserve some criticism) but he really didn’t have a whole lot of talent on defense to run his scheme.  He was forced to adjust to what we had and backed away from attempting to do his double A-gap blitzes.  He should have everything he needs this year to do it so it’s make or break for him.

Maxx Crosby should have a huge season with the additions added because with this scheme it gives him an opportunity to play one on one with an OT that he may have not normally get with a RB chipping him or an OG double him which happened quite a bit his rookie year.

100%.  Crosby is primes for a great year.  He’ll be playing the full season with the bulk/size he needs.  

1. with Nassib being able to play run downs and substitute in for him and Ferrell he’ll stay fresh.

2. Like I said before, Collins burst/suddenness will free him up for 1:1 with OT, as the G+C will have to pinch in and help each other.  Plus, the inside rush will open up the inside lane.  it puts tremendous pressure on the OT when they have to be worried with an inside move without much help from the G and the DE has speed and bend to go outside.

3.  The blitz packages we can dial up will keep him from constantly getting doubled or chipped.

4. The overall improvement in the pass rush will lead to him getting more sacks, the ones that aren’t pure quick wins.  He’s a hustle guy with long wingspan.  When the QB can’t just step up around the arc because there’s inside pressure and the other DE is getting pressure too.... it’s like all 4 walls are quickly closing.  Crosby is very good at getting sacks once he gets close to the QB.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Abram get a lot of playing time at LB in this package so he can play close to the LOS.

Yes!  This is how we need to play Abrams.  I could see him being used like Jamal Adams is by the Jets.  Lots of blitzing (and run blitzes).  Adding Randall’s ability to play Deep will allow us to move Abrams up more often.  I could see us using Harris or Joyner as a 3rd safety in some packages and using Abrams and Littleton as the LBs. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

How does Jeffrey Okudah compare ti Nnamdi or Charles Woodson. The Raider in me, would love to add a lock down corner for the next 10 years. If we only costed a 3rd to move up to 4th, would be very tempting.  

Wait how are we mixing up to 4 from 12 for only a 3rd?  
I think it’d cost AT LEAST 12,89,121 to get to 8, let alone 4.