Raiders Defense

Rolni

20 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Jon Gruden on Khalil Mack: “Obviously, we’ve got to get him signed somehow.” If Raiders can have elite play at interior pass rusher, “you’ll see the best of this guy.” Called on Mario Edwards Jr. to be that man to complement Mack.

So Edwards is a DT I guess.

Mack-Jelly-Edwards-Irvin/Tank seems to be the base

After re-watching a few Raiders games, I agree with Gruden's assessment on Edwards. He's very close to being an impactful interior rusher. Next season is make or break for him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

After re-watching a few Raiders games, I agree with Gruden's assessment on Edwards. He's very close to being an impactful interior rusher. Next season is make or break for him.

Agree. He has flashes of dominance at times. Trgovac is a great Dline coach who can hopefully pull it out of him. 

Also... more I listen to Gruden's comments. OT is on the top of his needs list. Rightfully so as they need to protect Carr. OT might be in play at 10.

Just now, big_palooka said:

Also... more I listen to Gruden's comments. OT is on the top of his needs list. Rightfully so as they need to protect Carr. OT might be in play at 10.

Hopefully not at 10. I do like McGlinchey in a trade back scenario, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. He has flashes of dominance at times. Trgovac is a great Dline coach who can hopefully pull it out of him. 

I think Trgovac can get more out of him than Jethro, who hasn't really done much for us as far as DL development IMO. Trgovac is one of the best in the business. We need consistent production and I think he can give us that. Another reason I want Vea.

On 19/03/2018 at 4:15 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Just a thought, not sure if anyone else has asked.

If Gilchrist and Joseph both prove capable, is Obi a good enough tackler to move to Nickel LB on passing downs? I feel like he's got adequate size and could be more of a weapon there than plugging a true LB with lesser coverage skills and maximize who we have available. I feel like we're actually fairly deep at safety- not spectacular, but definitely serviceable- and Obi would be my most likely candidate to move around the field.

Or no?

I can see that happening in certain sets. The way i see it is that the defensive formation is less rigid in the pass happy modern game than it has been ever before, with multiple receiver sets, more spread concepts and less traditional I formation and the like compared to the past and there's plenty of scope for the safety/linebacker hybrid and a number of teams have used them successfully, also seen much more 3 safety sets in play, which I see with Gilchrist in the fold.

One thing that I think needs to be thought about though is that although Obi has great size and athleticism, he isn't really a big hitter or particularly aggressive and doesn't really play like a LB, that's more like KJ though obviously Obi should be matched up with TEs more.

16 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

That is a little worrisome but perhaps explains why he started brightly last year then faded badly down the stretch. Ted Nguyen seems pretty accurate normally but i'm not going to assume anything, but if true I can see why we're bringing in the leadership and high effort guys.

Also, this is even more reason to add some competition inside in the form of one of the top few rounds.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

That is a little worrisome but perhaps explains why he started brightly last year then faded badly down the stretch. Ted Nguyen seems pretty accurate normally but i'm not going to assume anything, but if true I can see why we're bringing in the leadership and high effort guys.

Also, this is even more reason to add some competition inside in the form of one of the top few rounds.

Coaching I assume will help. Gruden's put together a no-nonsense staff to get these guys focused. 

Just a guess, but can't imagine staying focused last season was too easy. JDR set no example there. Players coach who got a little too loose. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Coaching I assume will help. Gruden's put together a no-nonsense staff to get these guys focused. 

Just a guess, but can't imagine staying focused last season was too easy. JDR set no example there. Players coach who got a little too loose. 

I disagree with this. Coaching can teach, execution improves, team improves, etc.

But coaching put forth as a continued excuse for the players who do not put in exemplary effort on their selves is a continued diminishment of those who do put in the work and find success because of it. Such as Khalil Mack. He clearly puts in the work, whether or not coaching "holds him back" on the stat sheet. Making excuses like this one for a guy like Edwards and it puts out the illusion that things didn't fall his way and great players aren't made out of Herculean effort. But they are, 10 times out of 10.

I believe Edwards hasn't put in the work like the tweet says, and in this contract year I'd bet we'll see that play out more clearly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

19 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I disagree with this. Coaching can teach, execution improves, team improves, etc.

But coaching put forth as a continued excuse for the players who do not put in exemplary effort on their selves is a continued diminishment of those who do put in the work and find success because of it. Such as Khalil Mack. He clearly puts in the work, whether or not coaching "holds him back" on the stat sheet. Making excuses like this one for a guy like Edwards and it puts out the illusion that things didn't fall his way and great players aren't made out of Herculean effort. But they are, 10 times out of 10.

I believe Edwards hasn't put in the work like the tweet says, and in this contract year I'd bet we'll see that play out more clearly. 

I would add that this source could well be a fired coach so like @Darbsk said let's not assume anything.

Also just the act of coaching on the field isn't all that coaches affect. They affect the environment and player focus as @big_palooka was pointing out.

I don't know the truth as it relates to this tweet but I do know that Mario is a 3yr guy with talent and 2 unfortunate early yr injuries and he has yet to give us value for the 2nd rd selection.

I hope everything lines up this yr including his effort.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:25 AM, NightTrainLane said:

I would add that this source could well be a fired coach so like @Darbsk said let's not assume anything.

Also just the act of coaching on the field isn't all that coaches affect. They affect the environment and player focus as @big_palooka was pointing out.

I don't know the truth as it relates to this tweet but I do know that Mario is a 3yr guy with talent and 2 unfortunate early yr injuries and he has yet to give us value for the 2nd rd selection.

I hope everything lines up this yr including his effort.

If someone will get the most out of him, it'll be Tgrovac. I'm excited to see if he can work with players like Ward and turn them into something. I'm really hoping we add Vea to the mix. He can really do a lot for this defense next year.