Raiders Defense

Rolni

32 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

If we cut Smith though we only have

Conley- who didn't play much

Carrie- who is a FA

Hamilton- not good

McDonald- not good

With that being said, Smith would make like 8.5 million this year, and I'm not sure he's worth that. He did play much better at the end of the season, but  I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut. 

He is if it one less hole to fill. Bottom line unless the staff thinks they can get a guy for less you keep him. 

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Or they could just sign someone.

This.  There aren't many I love available, but if we: re-sign Carrie and draft a mid rounder CB, there's a few serviceable guys out there.  Probably cheaper than Smith too.  Smith played decent as the season wore on but you have to wonder what another year will do to his physical abilities.  Plus his trouble with the law.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SinCity said:

Never doubted Edwards ability - just his ability to stay on the field. As a rotational guy this is less of a problem, but if you are starting material, the fact you are an injury waiting to happen is a big issue. I personally would like to see us replace all starters on the D-line (Mack aside) and start again.

I think we get 2 new starters this offseason and MEJ gets his final shot in his contract year. Not sure if he'll get it at strongside DE or 3T.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

This.  There aren't many I love available, but if we: re-sign Carrie and draft a mid rounder CB, there's a few serviceable guys out there.  Probably cheaper than Smith too.  Smith played decent as the season wore on but you have to wonder what another year will do to his physical abilities.  Plus his trouble with the law.

yea give me tj, mcdonald, conley, 2 rookie cbs and a vet cb

we need to keep tj imo

11 hours ago, SinCity said:

1-gap simplifies for Ward some, but you still have to read the game identify rush vs pass etc so having the physical tools is not enough. After all, Bruce Campbell had the physical tools to be a franchise Left Tackle - just didn't have the mental capacity for the game (yes, I do realise this is an unfair comparison!) :)

I’m not saying Ward is gonna be a superstar but is better suited for the one gap system because of the speed.

8 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

he's been a DE a vast majority of the time

He's been a DE in base and a DT in the nickel.

But that's with a different coaching staff and a different scheme. The question i have is where would he fit better in Guenther's scheme (assuming it's the same as in Cinci). Imo, 3T looks more likely. He was always a bit of a tweener (DE/DT) but in a traditional 43, i don't know if he can be a DE.

20 hours ago, Rolni said:

I can see us cutting Sean and let Carrie test the market.

Bring in a veteran to start across Conley and ideally also a NCB who fits the scheme (Carrie could be an option).

Then draft a guy early and at least 1 late...

I just hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in the defensive backfield. The rise in quality of the defensive play was very clear when we upgraded the DC and adapted the scheme. I'm not saying Amerson/Smith/Carrie are Pro Bowl quality players but I think it would be prudent to at least see what they've got with Smith and Carrie in Paul Guenther's new scheme given the increases across the board Pagano achieved with very limited time and in mid season. I think we should look at bringing Amerson back too on a reduced $$$ if possible. 

CB is notoriously difficult to translate from college to pro though Conley to me looks very exciting, we don't need 3 shutdown corners just decent play and a good pass rush IMHO.

• Like 1

So if you cut smith too to couple with Amerson you should be able to pluck one solid FA CB with savings to couple with Conley. Then get a lower tier slot type CB. 

Johnson or Malcolm butler depending on price would be a nice get. and then draft a CB in first 4 rounds.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, Blazer026 said:

If we cut Smith though we only have

Conley- who didn't play much

Carrie- who is a FA

Hamilton- not good

McDonald- not good

With that being said, Smith would make like 8.5 million this year, and I'm not sure he's worth that. He did play much better at the end of the season, but  I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut. 

You also have a decent FA market and the draft. Smith was fading last season. He's another year older (slower), has legal matters to attend to and isn't worth the price tag. 

That said, Raiders may be in the market for CB early. Ward opposite Conley wouldn't be the worst idea. I like Ward more this year and Conley last.