Article: The NFL won't have a Mount Rushmore of 4 WR's, just 1 Patron Saint;

mdonnelly21

For those NFL Enthusiasts regarding the history, you should absolute give this article a read.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/9/18077916/larry-fitzgerald-jerry-rice-all-time-receiving-yards-list?fbclid=IwAR1sBJEfQ708cBJmMXYs3b6lEDbmzH-pBrPdku2K2PnWBlrnnDbOEfmyOQ8

The numbers they discuss regarding Jerry Rice are unbelievable, even in this pass happy ERA would be crazy. 

Imagine Antonio Brown doing what he has done for the last 5 seasons for the next 10. :o 

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Current WR gloves = stickum 

Legit question for you or anyone else: have you ever used stickum? 

I’ve used nice football gloves (although how they compare to NFL quality gloves, I can’t say for sure) and they are obviously incredibly sticky, especially when they’re new. But I’m curious how sticky stickum actually is.

The only 2 thats legit got a chance at him as of right now is AB and Julio.  That can change with the new group coming in but julio or AB will catch him 1st if they stay healthy and in the league awhile.    For AB i think it depends if he gets with a good QB and team if he leaves the Steelers or if he stays and they replace Ben soon and hit on a new good QB.

As for Julio it all depends how long he wants to play and if he can stay healthy for that long.  Ryan is the type of QB who will play until his 40's doing well like Brees, Manning, and Brady. Very smart QB who is a precision pocket passer and doesn't need the crazy athleticism for his game to work.  So as long as those 2 are paired up he can reach 1300 to 1500+ a year for a good bit longer.  Julio would have to play about 8 more years at his current pace to pass him and break the record.  That would put Julio at around age 37 which is doable but not sure if he want's to play that long or longer to do it lol.   I'll say this if Julio and Ryan both play 7 to 8 more years together and put up their numbers their doing on avg which would be hard to do agreed they would both around the same time pass the all time passing leader and receiving leader together it would be really close.

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

The only 2 thats legit got a chance at him as of right now is AB and Julio

At his current rate, DeAndre Hopkins is also in the discussion...

...this being said, the record is less about the ability of each guy and more about longevity. Jerry Rice was putting up 1,000+ yard seasons at 40. In todays' NFL, even productive WRs are put out to pasture at 35. Guys like Rice, Fitzgerald are exceptions, not the rule of law.

Nobody is catching up to Rice because nobody is going to look at keeping a 35+ WR to be a #1. Everyone gets replaced, nobody is going to put in the seasons to catch these numbers.

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...this being said, the record is less about the ability of each guy and more about longevity. Jerry Rice was putting up 1,000+ yard seasons at 40. In todays' NFL, even productive WRs are put out to pasture at 35. Guys like Rice, Fitzgerald are exceptions, not the rule of law.

Nobody is catching up to Rice because nobody is going to look at keeping a 35+ WR to be a #1. Everyone gets replaced, nobody is going to put in the seasons to catch these numbers.

Yep, that's why the records will never be broken.  At his peak, Rice was the greatest thing we had ever seen at the WR position and could literally do it all.  The fact that he was still a top 10 WR at age 40 is a testament to just how great he truly was.  

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

There's this guy named Jon Gruden

If they really wanted a "Mount Rushmore"

• Jerry Rice - Undisputable GOAT
  • Terrell Owens
  • Randy Moss
  • Calvin Johnson - Shorter career, but most physical freak to ever play the position while putting up great numbers in his prime.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

If they really wanted a "Mount Rushmore"

• Jerry Rice - Undisputable GOAT
  • Terrell Owens
  • Randy Moss
  • Calvin Johnson - Shorter career, but most physical freak to ever play the position while putting up great numbers in his prime.

I agree, with this although I think you can maybe state a case for Fitzgerald over CJ, based on longevity, if you are going based on Peak/Prime though no question. 

I don't feel like Rice, T.O and Moss can really be disputed. 

Archived