Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Saint

GDT - NFCCG Rams (13-3) @ Saints (13-3): Get loud.

Recommended Posts

Fellas, I think I have some newfound... I mean I won't call it respect but how about "understanding" for... Vikings fans?

I still despise the Vikings more than any out of division team, mind. However, I was thinking about the 09 game and - Bounty stuff aside, lol - we definitely had some controversial calls go in our favor, I can't list them off the top of my head but maybe if I say "This isn't Detroit man, this is the Superbowl" three times, a Vikings fan will appear and gladly offer their commentary. My point is that each and every one of us are 100% guilty of glossing over these controversial/close calls and usually as rebuttal brush them aside and say something like "well maybe AP shouldn't have fumbled every other handoff" or "Favre could have run for the first down instead of throwing across his body" (this better sound familiar). I know we feel like a great injustice has been done to us, but nobody is going to remember or care.

The Vikings must have felt the exact same way in 09 (again Im just talking officiating here) so now when we all reminisce and take for granted that Superbowl win, I totally understand that resentment from the Vikings that no one remembers, or even worse: no one cares about the officiating. Nobody remembers that Pierre Thomas sorta-fumble on that one 4th down play, EVERYONE knows the Tracy Porter pick 6 (and a personal favorite: the Lance Moore two point convert) two weeks later. That I can't remember the other calls sorta proves my point. Regardless of what the Rams do here, this no call is gonna be a footnote in history and we'll be the old curmudgeon gatekeepers of "the truth".

I'm sure none of us will be able to resist bringing this up over the next two weeks (or several years), but just having a little historical perspective at the same time will do us all good.

Edit: new page eh, didn't want this post to have that much pressure :S

Edited by Fray32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fray32 said:

Fellas, I think I have some newfound... I mean I won't call it respect but how about "understanding" for... Vikings fans?

I still despise the Vikings more than any out of division team, mind. However, I was thinking about the 09 game and - Bounty stuff aside, lol - we definitely had some controversial calls go in our favor, I can't list them off the top of my head but maybe if I say "This isn't Detroit man, this is the Superbowl" three times, a Vikings fan will appear and gladly offer their commentary. My point is that each and every one of us are 100% guilty of glossing over these controversial/close calls and usually as rebuttal brush them aside and say something like "well maybe AP shouldn't have fumbled every other handoff" or "Favre could have run for the first down instead of throwing across his body" (this better sound familiar). I know we feel like a great injustice has been done to us, but nobody is going to remember or care.

The Vikings must have felt the exact same way in 09 (again Im just talking officiating here) so now when we all reminisce and take for granted that Superbowl win, I totally understand that resentment from the Vikings that no one remembers, or even worse: no one cares about the officiating. Nobody remembers that Pierre Thomas sorta-fumble on that one 4th down play, EVERYONE knows the Tracy Porter pick 6 (and a personal favorite: the Lance Moore two point convert) two weeks later. That I can't remember the other calls sorta proves my point. Regardless of what the Rams do here, this no call is gonna be a footnote in history and we'll be the old curmudgeon gatekeepers of "the truth".

I'm sure none of us will be able to resist bringing this up over the next two weeks (or several years), but just having a little historical perspective at the same time will do us all good.

Edit: new page eh, didn't want this post to have that much pressure :S

I've said it a bunch, but you just can't whine about the refs.  They suck for everyone, and everyone's day will come.  It's why I was irritated at Rams fans this year who thought the league was out to get them. 

Don't feel bad for winning a game and getting some good calls, but don't whine when you're on the other end.  We deserved to beat the Vikings in 09, they made too many dumb mistakes.  And the Rams deserved to beat us yesterday, because we made too many dumb mistakes.  We settled for field goals, some playcalling was questionable, we missed some throws, we rarely got to Goff, Suh and Donald and co dominated up front.  

As a team you have to be prepared to beat the other team and the refs.  If you can't withstand a few bad calls, you haven't decisively beaten your opponent.  It's like a fight, don't leave it in the judges hands, you won't always like the result.  Deliver the knock out or roll the dice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I've said it a bunch, but you just can't whine about the refs.  They suck for everyone, and everyone's day will come.  It's why I was irritated at Rams fans this year who thought the league was out to get them. 

Don't feel bad for winning a game and getting some good calls, but don't whine when you're on the other end.  We deserved to beat the Vikings in 09, they made too many dumb mistakes.  And the Rams deserved to beat us yesterday, because we made too many dumb mistakes.  We settled for field goals, some playcalling was questionable, we missed some throws, we rarely got to Goff, Suh and Donald and co dominated up front.  

As a team you have to be prepared to beat the other team and the refs.  If you can't withstand a few bad calls, you haven't decisively beaten your opponent.  It's like a fight, don't leave it in the judges hands, you won't always like the result.  Deliver the knock out or roll the dice.

 

I'm really only pissed that the Rams fans are trying to downplay the effect of that call using the "coulda still won" and bringing up other bad calls in the game, like the Saints didn't have their own fair share.  Just admit that that they lucked out with the crap call and be happy with the win ya know?  Trying to justify why it shouldn't upset people that something so blatant was missed is stupid.  Like that missed call should upset all fans, of all teams, not just Saints fans.  That is the type of call no fan should have to endure period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had a problem with the Vikings fans until they started talking Katrina smack and then made it a huge thing for like the next 5 years where you literally could not read any Saints article on the web without 10,000 of them showing their hatefulness and ugliness in the comments.

But I'm not stupid enough to think that's all of them either. Actually one of my very best friends in the world is a Viking fan. Wonderful guy. It's easy to demonize people from afar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t do the same thing to the Rams that some Vikings fans did to us is all I’m saying.  It sucks and we’ll probably never get over it completely, but don’t be like they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raves said:

I'm really only pissed that the Rams fans are trying to downplay the effect of that call using the "coulda still won" and bringing up other bad calls in the game, like the Saints didn't have their own fair share.  Just admit that that they lucked out with the crap call and be happy with the win ya know?  Trying to justify why it shouldn't upset people that something so blatant was missed is stupid.  Like that missed call should upset all fans, of all teams, not just Saints fans.  That is the type of call no fan should have to endure period.

I feel the way I feel because my thought process is that if the Saints wouldve won despite that bad call, thats the only way everything that happened after that bad call mattered. The fact that the Saints went on to the lose the game, nothing else mattered except for that call.

I didnt see the Superdome emptying out soon after that bad call happened. Im sure not many Saints fans stop watching the game after that bad call happened. There was still a football game going, time didnt stop, the game didnt end, the Saints still had a chance to win. Had the Saints won nobody would be kicking and screaming over that call. I think that call wouldve been talked about BUT the Saints wouldve been celebrating the fact they overcame it. Now all of a sudden the Saints didnt get the win, nothing else that happened after that bad call matters. They are kicking and screaming. That makes me upset because it puts a tarnish on what Goff did down the stretch. It puts a tarnish on what Zeurlein did down the stretch. Goff is 2nd behind Brees in 4th quarter/OT comebacks this season. Goff just had his 1st post season 4th quarter/OT comeback in his career. Zeurlein made the longest field goal in post season history in the Superbowl era. Saints fans and the media are treating it like it doesnt count BUT let Brees and the Saints win that game. Let Lutz make that long field goal. Now all of a sudden that 4th quarter/OT comeback this season counts. Lutz longest field goal kick counts after that bad call. Thats why Im so upset. Cant have it both ways. Its not legit because the Saints didnt win. Its legit had the Saints still won the game. 

We can sit here and talk about justice too. Well if the Saints wouldve still won its justice for that bad call. Well the refs missed a face mask on Goff the previous drive, but nobody will talk about justice for the no call on the Saints the next drive. So you can throw justice out too. If you are going to count the game as legit had the Saints overcame that bad call and still won, count the game as legit even though the Saints didnt win after that bad call because they still had their chances. I will look at this game as the Rams overcame their adversities throughout the game. The Saints didnt overcome their adversities throughout the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Fellas, I think I have some newfound... I mean I won't call it respect but how about "understanding" for... Vikings fans?

I still despise the Vikings more than any out of division team, mind. However, I was thinking about the 09 game and - Bounty stuff aside, lol - we definitely had some controversial calls go in our favor, I can't list them off the top of my head but maybe if I say "This isn't Detroit man, this is the Superbowl" three times, a Vikings fan will appear and gladly offer their commentary. My point is that each and every one of us are 100% guilty of glossing over these controversial/close calls and usually as rebuttal brush them aside and say something like "well maybe AP shouldn't have fumbled every other handoff" or "Favre could have run for the first down instead of throwing across his body" (this better sound familiar). I know we feel like a great injustice has been done to us, but nobody is going to remember or care.

The Vikings must have felt the exact same way in 09 (again Im just talking officiating here) so now when we all reminisce and take for granted that Superbowl win, I totally understand that resentment from the Vikings that no one remembers, or even worse: no one cares about the officiating. Nobody remembers that Pierre Thomas sorta-fumble on that one 4th down play, EVERYONE knows the Tracy Porter pick 6 (and a personal favorite: the Lance Moore two point convert) two weeks later. That I can't remember the other calls sorta proves my point. Regardless of what the Rams do here, this no call is gonna be a footnote in history and we'll be the old curmudgeon gatekeepers of "the truth".

I'm sure none of us will be able to resist bringing this up over the next two weeks (or several years), but just having a little historical perspective at the same time will do us all good.

Edit: new page eh, didn't want this post to have that much pressure :S

Wow you are literally the first saints fan I’ve heard admit that ever.. while I’ll agree that any one call doesn’t decide the outcome of the game it sure feels like it doesn’t it? Two other blown calls in that game were the phantom pi on leber and the “catch” I believe by Henderson. Both of which were on the overtime drive that setup the game winning field goal. What saints fans feel right now is what we’ve felt for nine years and sadly have not gotten over. It might be different if we’d won one before or since then but that may have been our best chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I feel the way I feel because my thought process is that if the Saints wouldve won despite that bad call, thats the only way everything that happened after that bad call mattered. The fact that the Saints went on to the lose the game, nothing else mattered except for that call.

I didnt see the Superdome emptying out soon after that bad call happened. Im sure not many Saints fans stop watching the game after that bad call happened. There was still a football game going, time didnt stop, the game didnt end, the Saints still had a chance to win. Had the Saints won nobody would be kicking and screaming over that call. I think that call wouldve been talked about BUT the Saints wouldve been celebrating the fact they overcame it. Now all of a sudden the Saints didnt get the win, nothing else that happened after that bad call matters. They are kicking and screaming. That makes me upset because it puts a tarnish on what Goff did down the stretch. It puts a tarnish on what Zeurlein did down the stretch. Goff is 2nd behind Brees in 4th quarter/OT comebacks this season. Goff just had his 1st post season 4th quarter/OT comeback in his career. Zeurlein made the longest field goal in post season history in the Superbowl era. Saints fans and the media are treating it like it doesnt count BUT let Brees and the Saints win that game. Let Lutz make that long field goal. Now all of a sudden that 4th quarter/OT comeback this season counts. Lutz longest field goal kick counts after that bad call. Thats why Im so upset. Cant have it both ways. Its not legit because the Saints didnt win. Its legit had the Saints still won the game. 

We can sit here and talk about justice too. Well if the Saints wouldve still won its justice for that bad call. Well the refs missed a face mask on Goff the previous drive, but nobody will talk about justice for the no call on the Saints the next drive. So you can throw justice out too. If you are going to count the game as legit had the Saints overcame that bad call and still won, count the game as legit even though the Saints didnt win after that bad call because they still had their chances. I will look at this game as the Rams overcame their adversities throughout the game. The Saints didnt overcome their adversities throughout the game.

 

14 hours ago, Raves said:

I'm really only pissed that the Rams fans are trying to downplay the effect of that call using the "coulda still won" and bringing up other bad calls in the game, like the Saints didn't have their own fair share.  Just admit that that they lucked out with the crap call and be happy with the win ya know?  Trying to justify why it shouldn't upset people that something so blatant was missed is stupid.  Like that missed call should upset all fans, of all teams, not just Saints fans.  That is the type of call no fan should have to endure period.

Totally agree Raves. Quoted your post for emphasis as we have now seen Rams fans come onto our board with this "justification".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

THANK YOU!!!

 

My man, let the Saints have their time to grieve. We would be just as upset on the other side of this and while we all may not agree on the specifics, let's not rub it in on their subforum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joeybrowner47 said:

 

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

THANK YOU!!!

 

I silently and begrudgingly nod in both your respective directions

Edited by Fray32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem has never been with fans that took issue with the missed 2009 calls. They happened. 

My issue is with the fans that somehow tie the 2009 calls in with bountygate like the Saints did something to give themselves an unfair advantage and thats why they won and that’s why it taints the SB. That’s nonsense. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dome said:

My problem has never been with fans that took issue with the missed 2009 calls. They happened. 

My issue is with the fans that somehow tie the 2009 calls in with bountygate like the Saints did something to give themselves an unfair advantage and thats why they won and that’s why it taints the SB. That’s nonsense. 

 

In 2009 the Saints did get ALOT of generous calls and as Wingo put out about that Vikings/Saints game, Saints fans could care less about everything they were pointing out on those calls in questioned and yes some of those calls was very obvious. Yes I agreed the Vikings got screwed that game but I also acknowledged the Vikings shouldnt have end been a position to be in OT had they not fumbled 6 times and threw 2 ints. My consistency have always been steady on you dont put the game in the refs hands. The Saints had chances before and after that bad call to beat the Rams. They didnt. I just dont want what was a great game to be tarnished. Both teams had a great seasons. Someone had to lose and it sucks one team lost the way that it did but its not like the Rams werent getting screwed in that game. Again they just managed to overcome the bad calls and the Saints didnt. 

Edited by stl4life07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JonStark said:

My man, let the Saints have their time to grieve. We would be just as upset on the other side of this and while we all may not agree on the specifics, let's not rub it in on their subforum. 

Im not rubbing it in. Im actually upset because Ive been waiting 18 freaking years to see the Rams back in the Superbowl and all I hear is the Rams are frauds and the wrong team didnt get in. 2009 when the Saints won and again they had ALOT of questionable calls in that game when I talked about it to alot of Saints fans because I live in Louisiana, EVERYONE thought I was hating on them and wasnt giving them any props for winning. In fact I told everyone that you need some luck and the Saints got lucky calls and lucky breaks. I never diminished what they accomplished and acknowledged it and was happy they finally got a Superbowl. I didnt say the league wanted to give them a Superbowl because of what happened with Katrina. I never said or even believed any of that like I know some did for a fact. So now over a decade later, some of those Saints fans that I know and Im hearing people across the world saying the Rams are frauds trying to diminish what the Rams have worked hard for. Saying that the league just wanted to give Los Angeles a Superbowl because they are a big market team and fixing to move in a big stadium soon. My friend telling me all season long that he believes the Rams are going to get all the breaks along to way because the league wants to give the a Superbowl. Now that same friend was at the game Sunday and to his credit he did admit the refs didnt screw the Saints, they screwed themselves for not putting the game away when they had the chance. They let the Rams hang around long enough and it came back to bite them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×