Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

On 1/20/2019 at 6:55 PM, wackywabbit said:

After a sequence of terrible clock management play calls, the Saints got the kick the go ahead FG, and had a chance to stop the Rams from a tying FG, and had a chance to win on offense in OT, and had a chance to stop the Rams from getting into FG range....

I'm sure there were bad calls/no calls that left the team with near 0 chance to win.

Payton's questionable playcalling decisions is not an excuse for Vinovich and his crew to completely drop the ball.

2 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

I don’t know if anyone already mentioned this, but referee Ben Drieth called an atrocious roughing the passer penalty on Ray Hamilton of the Patriots in the 1976 Divisional Round and breathed new life into the Raiders who were on their way to losing the game. 

Many say that robbed the Patriots of a Super Bowl because they had a really great team that year. 

Anyways, 25 years later, the Patriots and Raiders met again in the Divisional Round with a controversial call playing a large role in the game. This time, the Pats got their due, as well as their first Super Bowl Championship three weeks later. 

As Patriots radio play-by-play man Gil Santos (who called both games) said so eloquently after Adam Vinatieri beat the Raiders in OT in 2001; “take THAT, Ben Drieth!!!”

I forgot about that. That was a bad call against New England. 

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The "Tuck Rule" was the worst call in history.  The 2nd worst was that sorry excuse for a "roughing the passer" call against Tom "Tampon" Brady.

Bitter much?  

As a Red Sox fan who hates the Yankees, I know how much it sucks being on the wrong end of a very one-sided rivalry. I feel for you. 

The “Tuck Rule” was called as it was laid out in the rule book. Then they changed the rule. I think you’re still upset that the Patriots beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game that year.  And in ‘04.  And in ‘16.

The roughing the passer last Sunday was a bad call. The Patriots got a big break.

Let me ask you... have the Steelers ever had a bad call go their way?  I can think of a few. Can you?  Care to share your thoughts on that with the rest of us?

Also, calling people names isn’t nice. You shouldn’t say such things about other QBs - especially given some of the things that could be said about Big Ben. 

God bless. 

4 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

Bitter much?  

As a Red Sox fan who hates the Yankees, I know how much it sucks being on the wrong end of a very one-sided rivalry. I feel for you. 

The “Tuck Rule” was called as it was laid out in the rule book. Then they changed the rule. I think you’re still upset that the Patriots beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game that year.  And in ‘04.  And in ‘16.

The roughing the passer last Sunday was a bad call. The Patriots got a big break.

Let me ask you... have the Steelers ever had a bad call go their way?  I can think of a few. Can you?  Care to share your thoughts on that with the rest of us?

Also, calling people names isn’t nice. You shouldn’t say such things about other QBs - especially given some of the things that could be said about Big Ben. 

God bless. 

Bitter? No. That roughing the passer call is why he got a nickname from me.

Also, as far as what youre referring to with Ben, i haven't ever condoned his actions or defended him on such matters.

Also, everyone gets favorable bad calls. But the question was what was the worst bad call, those are 2 (one a while ago and one recently) that came to mind.

Lets not pretend like NE has never lost to Pittsburgh. I am definitely not bitter 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Bitter? No. That roughing the passer call is why he got a nickname from me.

Also, as far as what youre referring to with Ben, i haven't ever condoned his actions or defended him on such matters.

Also, everyone gets favorable bad calls. But the question was what was the worst bad call, those are 2 (one a while ago and one recently) that came to mind.

Lets not pretend like NE has never lost to Pittsburgh. I am definitely not bitter 

The ref made the call - not the player. 

And you are right. The Steelers HAVE beaten the Patriots before. This season, actually.

Congrats.

Glad you’re not bitter. Lots of Steeler fans are...  I have a Pats logo on the back window of my truck and I get honked at and flipped off whenever I drive through western Pennsylvania. They look real angry, too. 

1 minute ago, rfournier103 said:

The ref made the call - not the player. 

And you are right. The Steelers HAVE beaten the Patriots before. This season, actually.

Congrats.

Glad you’re not bitter. Lots of Steeler fans are...  I have a Pats logo on the back window of my truck and I get honked at and flipped off whenever I drive through western Pennsylvania. They look real angry, too. 

Youre right the 'nickname'was a bit harsh lol. As for Steelers fans, yeah we really dont like NE. Perhaps some are envious, some are just jerks, some of us, as much as we don't like them, can talk about them with the respect for their success. 

I get annoyed at the perception that officials 'coddle' Brady. Its not Bradys fault though so I shouldnt have suggested it was. My mother in law im a NE fan...let me tell you, its awesome lol.

I tell NE fans here all the time i hate them, in jest, lol. But come on, a team doesnt accidently win 5 SBs, it takes talent. We 'hate' the Patriots because theyre a rival, that is difficult to conquer. But some of our greatest games have been against NE, yeah wr have lost most of them, but it doesnt make them any less intent.

Ill say this about fans that flip you off just because of who you support and idc what teams they favor, theyre morons.

22 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Youre right the 'nickname'was a bit harsh lol. As for Steelers fans, yeah we really dont like NE. Perhaps some are envious, some are just jerks, some of us, as much as we don't like them, can talk about them with the respect for their success. 

I get annoyed at the perception that officials 'coddle' Brady. Its not Bradys fault though so I shouldnt have suggested it was. My mother in law im a NE fan...let me tell you, its awesome lol.

I tell NE fans here all the time i hate them, in jest, lol. But come on, a team doesnt accidently win 5 SBs, it takes talent. We 'hate' the Patriots because theyre a rival, that is difficult to conquer. But some of our greatest games have been against NE, yeah wr have lost most of them, but it doesnt make them any less intent.

Ill say this about fans that flip you off just because of who you support and idc what teams they favor, theyre morons.

Great post. 

I also see that you’re a hockey fan too. Let me tell you about the Boston Bruins - Montreal Canadiens rivalry sometime. THATS a one-sided rivalry chock full of VERY questionable calls that would make ANYONE puke. 

Thanks for the banter, and I’ll see ya ‘round. 

G’night, brother. 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:43 AM, Elky said:

Payton's questionable playcalling decisions is not an excuse for Vinovich and his crew to completely drop the ball.

And to be fair, no one is saying questionable playcalling if Brees doesn't throw that first pass at Thomas ankles. If he catches that it's very likely a 5-7 yard gain and puts them in 2nd and 3.

Regardless, you can't just dismiss arguably the worst call/no-call of all time because a HC decided to pass the ball on 1st down.

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think the worst part about this is Goodell literally not addressing it.

I think Saints fans would feel a lot better if he made a statement on it, at the very least. It seems like he's just hoping it will go away.

Not saying you're wrong, but I was thinking the opposite. I think anything he says or does is going to bring it all back and Saints fans will hate him even more for the vague answer that wouldn't fix anything. Would have to ask a Saints fan.

I think Florio did a giant disservice by posting the rule about the replay from the point of the PI. He posted article 1 and 3, but completely ignored article 2 where it states referee mistakes are not included. A lot of people ran with it, Michael Thomas, the lawyer etc. Heck, before I read the full rules, it scared the hell out of me. Although I knew he would never do it.

1 minute ago, btfd16 said:

Not saying you're wrong, but I was thinking the opposite. I think anything he says or does is going to bring it all back and Saints fans will hate him even more for the vague answer that wouldn't fix anything. Would have to ask a Saints fan.

I think Florio did a giant disservice by posting the rule about the replay from the point of the PI. He posted article 1 and 3, but completely ignored article 2 where it states referee mistakes are not included. A lot of people ran with it, Michael Thomas, the lawyer etc. Heck, before I read the full rules, it scared the hell out of me. Although I knew he would never do it.

Its just insane that something of this magnitude happens and the commissioner doesn't release some sort of statement. 

Archived