Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Its just insane that something of this magnitude happens and the commissioner doesn't release some sort of statement. 

You're not wrong. If he does, he has to clarify that he actually cannot replay it based on the rule. Otherwise fans will riot.

1 minute ago, btfd16 said:

You're not wrong. If he does, he has to clarify that he actually cannot replay it based on the rule. Otherwise fans will riot.

I would think he'd be smart enough to do so. I also think a vast majority of people realize there is no way he can replay this game.

23 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think the worst part about this is Goodell literally not addressing it.

I think Saints fans would feel a lot better if he made a statement on it, at the very least. It seems like he's just hoping it will go away.

He actually just released a video:

1 hour ago, milanb said:

Not a questionable call. The ref got it right. But definitely THE low point in Boston hockey history, and right up there with Game 6 of the ‘86 World Series and Super Bowl XLII as one of the three worst (on field) moments in Boston sports history. 

3 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

It’s getting embarrassing now with these statements tbh.

What do they want Goodell to do? Release a comment about a single bad call in a game that had game changing bad calls for both teams? Throw the referees under the bus for one of the bad calls which didn’t actually prevent the Saints from having a great opportunity to win the game?

We’re four days on and it’s absolutely staggering to me that a 38 year old is demanding a statement about a single incident, while conveniently ignoring a similarly bad call against the Rams which cost them a sure fire opportunity to take the lead.

5 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

What do they want Goodell to do? Release a comment about a single bad call in a game that had game changing bad calls for both teams? Throw the referees under the bus for one of the bad calls which didn’t actually prevent the Saints from having a great opportunity to win the game?

We’re four days on and it’s absolutely staggering to me that a 38 year old is demanding a statement about a single incident, while conveniently ignoring a similarly bad call against the Rams which cost them a sure fire opportunity to take the lead.

Nothing he says short of "here Saints go to the Super Bowl" is going to be sufficient either.. It'll be predictable as hell. "Refs made a mistake, we are sorry, we will visit this issue during the competition committee, Rule 17.2.2 actually says missed calls aren't a part of the replay, etc"

6 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I think a lot of us just want closure. Its more than just the call. The one ref looked to try and pull out the flag and the other ref very blatantly told him not to do it. Why was there no conference? PI flags get thrown late all the time after 2-3 refs have a quick chat about it. This wasn't even close to a bang-bang play, its as blatant as PI gets. So why did 2 refs who had a clear view just shrug it aside and not even chat for more than a split second. There is not a single play in NFL history that has the combination of horrendous call with effective timing that this play had. Bad calls happen throughout a game and its hard to correlate their effectiveness on the outcome of the game, but this one happened to be a major decider due to the position of the game. Yes the Saints still could have won. Yes we made mistakes throughout the game. Yes we could have run off more clock. Yes there were more blown calls on both sides, but none of that changes the importance of this missed call on the outcome of the game. A lot of opposing fans are annoyed, but they would be equally outraged if that happened to their team, despite no one wanting to admit it.

6 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

I think a lot of us just want closure. Its more than just the call. The one ref looked to try and pull out the flag and the other ref very blatantly told him not to do it. Why was there no conference? PI flags get thrown late all the time after 2-3 refs have a quick chat about it. This wasn't even close to a bang-bang play, its as blatant as PI gets. So why did 2 refs who had a clear view just shrug it aside and not even chat for more than a split second. There is not a single play in NFL history that has the combination of horrendous call with effective timing that this play had. Bad calls happen throughout a game and its hard to correlate their effectiveness on the outcome of the game, but this one happened to be a major decider due to the position of the game. Yes the Saints still could have won. Yes we made mistakes throughout the game. Yes we could have run off more clock. Yes there were more blown calls on both sides, but none of that changes the importance of this missed call on the outcome of the game. A lot of opposing fans are annoyed, but they would be equally outraged if that happened to their team, despite no one wanting to admit it.

Look at the other angle. He is pointing at Sean Payton to get back because he is sprinting down the sideline. There was a conference after that. (Not trying to defend the ref it was a bad call)

4 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

Nothing he says short of "here Saints go to the Super Bowl" is going to be sufficient either.. It'll be predictable as hell. "Refs made a mistake, we are sorry, we will visit this issue during the competition committee, Rule 17.2.2 actually says missed calls aren't a part of the replay, etc"

As much as I would love for that to happen, I know thats never going to be the case lol. I think we just want to make sure that never happens again, cus honestly no one will realize what that felt like until it happens to you. Forget all the other what-ifs (run the clock more, score more TDs early, Brees INT in OT, etc), if that is called correctly we win the game plain and simple. That was a real moment that happened and we do feel cheated.

I agree that adding penalty reviews isn't necessarily the right thing. But maybe inside 2 min in each half things like that can be added on to "booth reviews". Or maybe each coach gets 2 penalty challenge flags per game as well? Idk the correct solution, but it was awful to feel that powerless and that wronged in the moment and days after. The Minnesota Miracle last year was depressing as heck and it had nowhere near the lingering effect that this game did. I would honestly feel better finding out that the ref was paid off or a Rams fan or something crazy like that and at least feeling validated, even if it doesn't change anything and the Rams still represent the NFC in the SB. But everyone starting to call us cry babies and telling us that it happens to teams all the time just makes it worse.

4 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

Look at the other angle. He is pointing at Sean Payton to get back because he is sprinting down the sideline. There was a conference after that. (Not trying to defend the ref it was a bad call)

Theres two parts. The pointing was at Payton, but he also looked at the other ref and kept motioning "incomplete" and also what looked like an "tipped" motion, which is strange since the ball was no where close to being tipped. 

Just now, saintsfan said:

Theres two parts. The pointing was at Payton, but he also looked at the other ref and kept motioning "incomplete" and also what looked like an "tipped" motion, which is strange since the ball was no where close to being tipped. 

What baffled me was how Tommylee Lewis didn't automatically hop up and start making an absolute scene. 

1 minute ago, btfd16 said:

What baffled me was how Tommylee Lewis didn't automatically hop up and start making an absolute scene. 

Not sure it would've changed anything, but that definitely helps when you sell it. Maybe he didn't know where the ball was? He's kinda a quiet player and his confidence has been a bit low since that fumble out the endzone weeks back, maybe that had something to do with it. Robey-Coleman did say that the ref said it was tipped too. If thats the case, there should have absolutely been a conference among the refs to confirm or deny that.

Archived