Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

27 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Nope   Would you prefer coincidence, oh professor of English?

Yes, since that is what we English professors would call "correct."

Also, there is no need to use passive voice there. "English" is the more important part of the statement so active voice, as I used, is more appropriate.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Reminder - we don't talk about fan bases. Next one WILL get a warning.

- ET

giphy.gif 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

This is as close to angry as I’ve ever seen ET. I dare someone to cross him tonight.

Dare???  Dare you say?!?!?

giphy.gif 

Not sure if I can stop myself.....

giphy.gif 

TEXANS FANS ARE KIND AND AFFABLE!!!!

giphy.gif 

AND I ENJOY CONVERSING WITH THEM ONLINE! 

200.gif 

OpenElectricBadger-max-1mb.gif 

the_most_hilarious_come_at_me_bro_memes_ 

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

I've seen a bunch of posts like this. So let's clear one thing up. If Vinovich saw that play on the field he would have been wrong because that is absolutely NOT where is should be looking. All the refs have specific responsibilities. His there is to look at the QB, not down the field. He should be reprimanded if he saw it. There are 2 or three other officials whose responsibility would have put that in their vision. It is on them. It is not on Vinovich. Just because you wear the white hat doesn't mean you are responsible for every missed call.

I don''t know if this was directed at me in any way but in my defense I wasn't saying anything about the actual play or whether or not I thought he had seen the play. My problem was Vinovich saying he had not yet seen the play, which I find very hard to be believe given how much exposure it had received at the time. There is no way he had not seen a video of the play.

You do make a valid point though.

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I don''t know if this was directed at me in any way but in my defense I wasn't saying anything about the actual play or whether or not I thought he had seen the play. My problem was Vinovich saying he had not yet seen the play, which I find very hard to be believe given how much exposure it had received at the time. There is no way he had not seen a video of the play.

You do make a valid point though.

That depends on when the interview was. If he goes right there then he may not have seen it yet.

Here is a little context on the Brady shoulder pad hit getting 15 yards.

At about 7:48 left in the 3rd quarter Mahomes is hit the same way by a Patriot. Romo immediately calls for roughing and Mahomes is trying to sell it to the ref.

Maybe Mahomes did too good a job at selling overhand chops near the head as roughing?

Its easy to get a call wrong and it’s simple to correct it with 15 seconds of replay.

Absolutely horrible call. But as I said in the game thread as it was happening, equally as horrible was Payton's endgame playcalling. After the Ted Ginn catch, they should have ran it three times and kicked the FG. Would have left the Rams with no timeouts and about a minute to get into FG range. Payton outsmarted himself, and the Rams ended up having about twice as much time and a TO. And they still needed a 48 yard FG from Zuerlein to get to OT.

This was a horrible non-call, but there have been others that were just as bad.  As a Vikings fan, I would say that the non-call on Drew Pearson's push off on what became known as the "Hail Mary" was just as flagrant.  I would guess that there are fans of a number of other teams who can point to other big plays that were missed by the officials.

I mean, this was pretty bad:

renfro2.PNG

Also this:

DwAlaTGX4AA4D-k.jpg

This one:

super-bowl-xl-pass-interference-3-screen

So was this: 

0ap2000000113876_video_cp.jpg

This: 

s-l300.jpg

And of course this: 

012002pats12.jpg?w=620

The non-call in the Rams/Saints game was bad. But it's not the worst call in NFL history. Honestly, I'm not sure if that exists. There have been so many controversial calls/non-calls. Playoffs or not. I think it's just nature to be prisoner of the moment with a lot of people. 

20 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Where you are wrong is that call results in a first and goal at the 9 with 1:49 on the clock and no TOs left for the rams.  It's a kick a fg with no time remaining situation.  The Rams offense would never have touched the ball again.

Neither of us can know. 

In my mind, Payton would call three passes in a row, either scoring a TD with time remaining, or burning all of 15 seconds. That's their usual MO. 

I don’t know if anyone already mentioned this, but referee Ben Drieth called an atrocious roughing the passer penalty on Ray Hamilton of the Patriots in the 1976 Divisional Round and breathed new life into the Raiders who were on their way to losing the game. 

Many say that robbed the Patriots of a Super Bowl because they had a really great team that year. 

Anyways, 25 years later, the Patriots and Raiders met again in the Divisional Round with a controversial call playing a large role in the game. This time, the Pats got their due, as well as their first Super Bowl Championship three weeks later. 

As Patriots radio play-by-play man Gil Santos (who called both games) said so eloquently after Adam Vinatieri beat the Raiders in OT in 2001; “take THAT, Ben Drieth!!!”

Archived