Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

I feel like you're one of the Vikings fans who still complain about 2009..............

I could care less about 2009. I just hate the Saints. City smells like PISS. Their stadium is a pile of poop and should be torn down.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Whitworth has literally been in their shoes. Or did you forget about this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/10/10743904/steelers-bengals-joey-porter-foul

Well, maybe if Burfict hadn't been a dirty POS and Pacman didn't shove a coach trying to attend to a player (AB) INJURED by Burfict being a dirty POS, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Aw hell, who'm I kidding? Of course we wouldn't, the Bengals would've won. 

These two calls are apples and oranges. 

19 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Oh well a Rams player said it, so that’s it than. Case closed.

That should be it.

Lets just say the refs did get the call right and the Saints run the clock down, kick the field goal and win 23-20. What will the talk be? Rams got screwed on the previous drive where Goff facemask was grabbed and the refs missed that call that wouldve set the Rams up 1st and GL on the 1yd with a chance to go up 24-20 where they Saints couldnt win by just kicking a field goal they would need a td so that entire drive they had wouldve changed. There is no guarantee the Saints score a td either because they struggled in the game scoring tds in the redzone. That wouldve been the story so still there wouldve been questions about a call that changed the game. 

At the end of the day it comes down the dont grin when you win and get the blues when you lose. The Saints got the blues because they were the one to lose. The Saints didnt get their first penalty called on them until 5:26 left in the 3rd quarter. There was an obvious facemask call that was missed near the end of the 1st half on Cooks when Goff threw that big pass to him to set up Gurley for that td. Everytime they show that highlight you see Cooks facemask being grabbed as he was being tackled. So again the refs missed alot of calls both ways. The Rams overcame all of that and the Saints didnt. Thats what Whitworth was saying. The Saints lost so they point to the missed DPI. Had the Rams lost they wouldve pointed to the missed facemask on Goff on the previous possession. The Saints fans wouldve said the Rams still had a chance to make a stop when the Saints got the ball. Rams fans are saying the Saints still had a chance to stop the Rams when the Rams got the ball. Both teams had chances to overcome the bad officiating crew and the Rams were able to do so and the Saints didnt. 

Ill say it again, if anyone is to blame its Sean Payton. I agree he shouldve upset by that bad call. The Saints players shouldve been upset, the fans shouldve been upset. Payton as the leader of the New Orleans Saints shouldve gotten his team refocused after that bad call. Instead he spent minutes after that call still cursing out the refs about that call. Reminds me of LeBron James after JR Smith had that blunder in Game 1 on the Finals last season. Instead of pouting, LeBron shouldve been upset quick but refocused and gathering his team letting them know there is still OT and time to beat the Warriors. Instead LeBron actions showed the team its panic time and there is no way to recover from that in that game. Payton actions showed the Saints no way they were going to recover from that and the Saints literally did nothing on offense or defense to stop the Rams from winning that game. 

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

That should be it.

Lets just say the refs did get the call right and the Saints run the clock down, kick the field goal and win 23-20. What will the talk be? Rams got screwed on the previous drive where Goff facemask was grabbed and the refs missed that call that wouldve set the Rams up 1st and GL on the 1yd with a chance to go up 24-20 where they Saints couldnt win by just kicking a field goal they would need a td so that entire drive they had wouldve changed. There is no guarantee the Saints score a td either because they struggled in the game scoring tds in the redzone. That wouldve been the story so still there wouldve been questions about a call that changed the game. 

At the end of the day it comes down the dont grin when you win and get the blues when you lose. The Saints got the blues because they were the one to lose. The Saints didnt get their first penalty called on them until 5:26 left in the 3rd quarter. There was an obvious facemask call that was missed near the end of the 1st half on Cooks when Goff threw that big pass to him to set up Gurley for that td. Everytime they show that highlight you see Cooks facemask being grabbed as he was being tackled. So again the refs missed alot of calls both ways. The Rams overcame all of that and the Saints didnt. Thats what Whitworth was saying. The Saints lost so they point to the missed DPI. Had the Rams lost they wouldve pointed to the missed facemask on Goff on the previous possession. The Saints fans wouldve said the Rams still had a chance to make a stop when the Saints got the ball. Rams fans are saying the Saints still had a chance to stop the Rams when the Rams got the ball. Both teams had chances to overcome the bad officiating crew and the Rams were able to do so and the Saints didnt. 

Ill say it again, if anyone is to blame its Sean Payton. I agree he shouldve upset by that bad call. The Saints players shouldve been upset, the fans shouldve been upset. Payton as the leader of the New Orleans Saints shouldve gotten his team refocused after that bad call. Instead he spent minutes after that call still cursing out the refs about that call. Reminds me of LeBron James after JR Smith had that blunder in Game 1 on the Finals last season. Instead of pouting, LeBron shouldve been upset quick but refocused and gathering his team letting them know there is still OT and time to beat the Warriors. Instead LeBron actions showed the team its panic time and there is no way to recover from that in that game. Payton actions showed the Saints no way they were going to recover from that and the Saints literally did nothing on offense or defense to stop the Rams from winning that game. 

Rams fans so sensitive right now it’s impressive 

20 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Rams fans so sensitive right now it’s impressive 

We have a right to be but nothing I said though was wrong. No matter who won that game, either that missed Goff facemask wouldve been talked about as the impact of that game or the missed DPI wouldve been talked about as the impact of that game. With people saying both teams still had chances after those calls to still go out there and win it.

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Well, maybe if Burfict hadn't been a dirty POS and Pacman didn't shove a coach trying to attend to a player (AB) INJURED by Burfict being a dirty POS, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Aw hell, who'm I kidding? Of course we wouldn't, the Bengals would've won. 

Actually Jeremy Hill was the one at fault for fumbling. If he doesn’t fumble we chew out the game clock. But everyone likes to blame Burfict and Jones because it’s more fitting. 

5 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Porter wasn't even close to the injured player. They're not at all apples to oranges. Whitworth's team got screwed by a bad call. The Saints got screwed by a bad call. Both cost them the playoff win. But I don't remember Whitworth throwing a temper tantrum after the game.

52 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Actually Jeremy Hill was the one at fault for fumbling. If he doesn’t fumble we chew out the game clock. But everyone likes to blame Burfict and Jones because it’s more fitting. 

True, if Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble, then none of that stuff happens. That's a pretty "unique" take on it.

7 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I could care less about 2009. I just hate the Saints. City smells like PISS. Their stadium is a pile of poop and should be torn down.

I had changed my password and wasn't planning on posting here again, but I recovered it just to respond to this post, and it's the last thing I'll ever say here.

I feel sad for you. I mean, don't get me wrong. I know what it's like to feel upset over a football game. But it's one thing to be mad about a football game 6 days later. You're here NINE YEARS LATER and you're still there, wallowing in your anger and bitterness. How miserable your life must be!

Here's the thing though: Saints fans will get over this long before the Vikings fans get over their misery, even though you've had a nine year headstart.

Why? Because we've been to the top of the mountain. We've cried our tears of unrestrained joy and felt the sublime, surreal experience of "Oh my God, I can't believe it finally happened!"

When Bobby McCray and Remi Ayodele flattened Brett Favre, I pumped my fist. When Reggie Bush pulled a contortionist act to hit the pylon and score the TD, I high-fived all my friends. When Favre threw the interception to Tracy Porter at the end of regulation, I laughed. When Pierre Thomas returned the opening kickoff of overtime out to midfield, I was running right there with him, my arms spread with glee, knowing that we were about to finally take the biggest stage in sports. When Thomas converted the 4th down later in that drive, I felt the pride swelling in me. And when Drew leapt over the pile, arms outstretched like a black-and-gold clad Superman, or an ethereal angel being come to take us to the promised land, I knew it would happen.

It was destiny.

When Garrett Hartley's kick split the uprights, I was soaring as high as the football.

And two weeks later, I sat with the crowd in Miami, five of my closest friends with me, eating the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had in my life and watching my team on its way to The Greatest Joy. When Tracy Porter returned that interception, my heart burst through my chest. And when Vilma broke up the final pass attempt to truly seal the game, it burst through again.

31-28 and 31-17. Two sets of numbers emblazoned forever on my heart, my mind and my soul. Those are the scores of the games you see. The game we beat the Vikings in to get to the Super Bowl, and the score of the Super Bowl.

I bought the Blu-Ray set of the entire playoff run. It's beautiful. Once a year or so, I take it out and watch it and experience those moments all over again, as if it were yesterday. My beautiful sons are 7 and 5. They are too young to remember the Saints Super Bowl win, but I tell them about it often. They ask to hear the story of how it all happened. I tell them again. They can't get enough of The Greatest Story Ever.

But you won't ever get to feel that. Your Vikings are simply, sadly, the biggest chokers in sports history. That's all they'll ever be. You have had so many chances and you blew them all. From Fran Tarkenton to Gary Andersen to Brett Favre to getting disposed of by the Eagles like a wayward piece of garbage on the freeway.

And now you have Kirk Cousins.

And that is your destiny. You'll never know that feeling. And that makes me happy.

And also sad for you at the same time.

This is the last post I will ever make here. I hope you find peace someday.

51 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

I had changed my password and wasn't planning on posting here again, but I recovered it just to respond to this post, and it's the last thing I'll ever say here.

I feel sad for you. I mean, don't get me wrong. I know what it's like to feel upset over a football game. But it's one thing to be mad about a football game 6 days later. You're here NINE YEARS LATER and you're still there, wallowing in your anger and bitterness. How miserable your life must be!

Here's the thing though: Saints fans will get over this long before the Vikings fans get over their misery, even though you've had a nine year headstart.

Why? Because we've been to the top of the mountain. We've cried our tears of unrestrained joy and felt the sublime, surreal experience of "Oh my God, I can't believe it finally happened!"

When Bobby McCray and Remi Ayodele flattened Brett Favre, I pumped my fist. When Reggie Bush pulled a contortionist act to hit the pylon and score the TD, I high-fived all my friends. When Favre threw the interception to Tracy Porter at the end of regulation, I laughed. When Pierre Thomas returned the opening kickoff of overtime out to midfield, I was running right there with him, my arms spread with glee, knowing that we were about to finally take the biggest stage in sports. When Thomas converted the 4th down later in that drive, I felt the pride swelling in me. And when Drew leapt over the pile, arms outstretched like a black-and-gold clad Superman, or an ethereal angel being come to take us to the promised land, I knew it would happen.

It was destiny.

When Garrett Hartley's kick split the uprights, I was soaring as high as the football.

And two weeks later, I sat with the crowd in Miami, five of my closest friends with me, eating the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had in my life and watching my team on its way to The Greatest Joy. When Tracy Porter returned that interception, my heart burst through my chest. And when Vilma broke up the final pass attempt to truly seal the game, it burst through again.

31-28 and 31-17. Two sets of numbers emblazoned forever on my heart, my mind and my soul. Those are the scores of the games you see. The game we beat the Vikings in to get to the Super Bowl, and the score of the Super Bowl.

I bought the Blu-Ray set of the entire playoff run. It's beautiful. Once a year or so, I take it out and watch it and experience those moments all over again, as if it were yesterday. My beautiful sons are 7 and 5. They are too young to remember the Saints Super Bowl win, but I tell them about it often. They ask to hear the story of how it all happened. I tell them again. They can't get enough of The Greatest Story Ever.

But you won't ever get to feel that. Your Vikings are simply, sadly, the biggest chokers in sports history. That's all they'll ever be. You have had so many chances and you blew them all. From Fran Tarkenton to Gary Andersen to Brett Favre to getting disposed of by the Eagles like a wayward piece of garbage on the freeway.

And now you have Kirk Cousins.

And that is your destiny. You'll never know that feeling. And that makes me happy.

And also sad for you at the same time.

This is the last post I will ever make here. I hope you find peace someday.

It’s a shame. You’re a good poster why leave? Specially with a fan base that has few posters as is. You shouldn’t let the call or anyone saying to you affect your stay here. Shame really. 

Archived