Redskins believe Alex Smith will be out all of 2019

49erurtaza

That's a career. I have no idea why everyone is so sympathetic towards him like he didn't make over $100m and barely peaked at higher than average the majority of his career. If he wasn't a 1st round pick he would have been regulated to a back-up job like a decade ago. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

That's a career. I have no idea why everyone is so sympathetic towards him like he didn't make over $100m and barely peaked at higher than average the majority of his career. If he wasn't a 1st round pick he would have been regulated to a back-up job like a decade ago. 

It's amazing how much Sam Bradford and Alex Smith both conned the league just for being 1st overall picks.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's amazing how much Sam Bradford and Alex Smith both conned the league just for being 1st overall picks.

Amazing that players like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton have gotten much more criticism than them despite them actually being consistently available and better peaks + long term than them.

1 minute ago, Malik said:

Amazing that players like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton have gotten much more criticism than them despite them actually being consistently available and better peaks + long term than them.

It's mostly because they've had the opportunity in the playoffs but haven't followed through. That sticks out in peoples mind's more.

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

They're picking smack dab in the middle of the draft so if they want a top tier guy they're going to have to move up (and give up a ton via draft picks) to get their guy

Wash has (2) 3rd rounders ( comp pick)  so combining them might be enough to jump ahead of Denver at # 10
A.Smith won't be playing, but for $ 20 M, he can surely mentor a young QB

11 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Why? It's a freak injury, if they signed Cousins and he had the same injury they'd be in a similar situation.

Probably worse, actually. No clue why I said that, you're right.

Such a brutal injury for Washington because of the guaranteed money involved. Obviously, his salary is fully guaranteed for 2019, but his salary is also guaranteed in 2020 for injury. If this truly is career ending, I'm not even sure that Washington can get away from him in 2020

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Such a brutal injury for Washington because of the guaranteed money involved. Obviously, his salary is fully guaranteed for 2019, but his salary is also guaranteed in 2020 for injury. If this truly is career ending, I'm not even sure that Washington can get away from him in 2020

Can they re-do his deal or reach an injury settlement that works better for both parties than the current cap-killing contract ?

37 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Can they re-do his deal or reach an injury settlement that works better for both parties than the current cap-killing contract ?

Over the cap wrote an article on it, and they also had some lack of clarity regarding the injury protection on the 2020 guarantee. I'm guessing that an injury settlement of some sort could be reached, though that's still going to be some a wash for the most part in 2020 I would have to imagine, as I don't know why Smith or his side would take that big of a haircut on what he is owed. After all, why should he? 

Assuming that Smith can't return in 2020 either, then they can't even really restructure Smith unless they are also going to keep him on the roster for that year. I suppose the option would be to extend him for a year or two and convert 14 of the 16 million base to bonus to lower the hit in 2020 (this would be about 10 million in dead cap if he's not playing), then cut him in 2021, which would leave them with about 20 million dead money total (10 million from the original signing bonus accelerated from the 2 years remaining, and then about 11 million from the restructure), and then they could spread that out over 2 years as june 1 cut. But in that way, they're really just spreading out the dead cap over 4 years. They are essentially carrying Smith as dead money for 19 / 20 / 21 / 22 (assuming a june 1 cut in 2021).

It would basically read at something like 20.4 "dead" in 2019 (I'm calling it "dead" because he's costing them cap room and can't play; it's not dead money in the traditional salary cap manner) which is his base guaranteed + prorated signing bonus. 2020 would carry about 10 million "dead"; this would be 2 million in base that wasn't converted, 5.4 in prorated signing bonus from initial contract, then 3.5 from the prorated portion of the restructure (basically 14 mil over 4 total years, assuming a 2 year extension). The next year, you'd cut him - this would escalate the remaining 10.8 million SB proration, and the 10.5 restructure bonus for about 21 million in dead money. They could then spread that out across 2 years as a june 1 cut, I believe. 

So honestly, rather than carry that kind of dead weight for that long, it probably makes more sense to draft a quarterback, and while you have him on a rookie deal, let Smith sit there this year. If they flat cut Smith in 2020 with the injury protection on the base, their dead money is about 33 million or so. May be better to just eat that in the single year, though that's a crazy cap hit for a season, than to  papercut yourself to death in 4 seasons. I don't know. 

Archived