Eagles pick up Nick Foles option of 20 million (Nick Foles ops out)

49erurtaza

40 minutes ago, showtime said:

They're doing that to trade him, I'm assuming?  If so, what teams would be the most likely to want Foles and what would they offer to get him?

It’s a mutual option - Foles can accept or he can decline and get a 2M option and hit the FA market.  

The thing is that by offering the 20M PHI then gets a comp pick value back if he declines. Given Case Keenum got 36M/2 last year and Foles might be the top FA on the market (only Teddy B would seem to generate similar interest and that’s on age / future projection), it’s no lock that Foles will renew the option.   The deadline for the option was coming up in the next week so unless PHI was willing to let Foles walk with no comp pick factoring in this seems like the team decision - trade him if he picks up the option, get a comp pick if he declines.  

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It’s a mutual option - Foles can accept or he can decline and get a 2M option and hit the FA market.  

The thing is that by offering the 20M PHI then gets a comp pick value back if he declines. Given Case Keenum got 36M/2 last year and Foles might be the top FA on the market (only Teddy B would seem to generate similar interest and that’s on age / future projection), it’s no lock that Foles will renew the option.   The deadline for the option was coming up in the next week so unless PHI was willing to let Foles walk with no comp pick factoring in this seems like the team decision - trade him if he picks up the option, get a comp pick if he declines.  

I think you're mostly on the right track, but the bolded is wrong. 

Eagles would have got a comp pick even if they didn't pick up the option and just let him walk.

The main reason for picking up the option is to get 2 million dollars back.

He is 100% getting traded. They are going into the offseason already way over the cap with a ton of starters needing deals (Graham, Tate, Ajayi, etc.). Even letting all 3 of them go...they will still need to restructure contracts and do some releasing to be able to field a team next year. 

10 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

If this is to trade him and get a 2nd round pick this year instead of a 3rd round comp pick next year, then it makes complete sense.  If this is to have him compete for the starting job, then it’s really stupid.  I’m assuming it’s not for the latter though

Lol dude the latter isn’t even a remote possibility 

What will the tag number be? $25 million? I think that hurts their ability to trade him. I'm sure they have a plan to clear $40 million in cap space so that they can tag him but I don't know if there will be a lot of teams willing to part with even a 3rd round pick knowing they have to have $25 million on the books for him in 2019. There will be other options out there like Teddy, Tannehill, Flacco, Taylor who would come cheaper and not cost a draft pick. Foles has shown he could do it on the big stage but he hasn't proved he can carry an organization to the big stage which is what you expect for that price. Should be interesting.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think you're mostly on the right track, but the bolded is wrong. 

Eagles would have got a comp pick even if they didn't pick up the option and just let him walk.

The main reason for picking up the option is to get 2 million dollars back.

I keep forgetting that declining the option somehow still doesn’t count as a cut in contract.   But yeah I stand corrected - dumb rule but the league still hasn’t closed that loophole.   

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What will the tag number be? $25 million? I think that hurts their ability to trade him. I'm sure they have a plan to clear $40 million in cap space so that they can tag him but I don't know if there will be a lot of teams willing to part with even a 3rd round pick knowing they have to have $25 million on the books for him in 2019. There will be other options out there like Teddy, Tannehill, Flacco, Taylor who would come cheaper and not cost a draft pick. Foles has shown he could do it on the big stage but he hasn't proved he can carry an organization to the big stage which is what you expect for that price. Should be interesting.

I dont think Howie is trying to Fleece another Organization  into an absurd Trade but limit Foles options.

Yes I do believe  they will do everything  in there power to trade Nick to a Team/ Destination of his choosing "FOR LESS" if it means Keeping  him out of the NFCE as a Giant or Redskin.

People Don't need to get caught up in Franchise Tag Compensation being needed or expected to trade him, it's just a calculated ploy to get something, anything  of value back in return for what will be the #1 QB on the Market. That's all.

ZERO CHANCE, He is a Eagle in 2019. Only question is , for how much and is it the Jags??

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I’m pretty sure that if a team trades for him and then signs him to a long term deal, the cap hit from the franchise tag goes away. I think the $25M cap hit would only be if the team chooses not to extend him. I may be wrong, though.

Archived