The Official UnOfficial Free Agency & Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

On 2/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, Kiltman said:

Dude looks talented, seems versatile too.
Hate to spend a 1st on a RB, but he has the potential to be the second best RB in the division.

If we don't take him, how far does he drop? We do have 2 2nds and a boat load of additional picks as well. Not to mention we still might get something for Foles. A 2nd and a 3rd might be enough to move up from late 2nd to early 2nd and pick him then. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If we don't take him, how far does he drop? We do have 2 2nds and a boat load of additional picks as well. Not to mention we still might get something for Foles. A 2nd and a 3rd might be enough to move up from late 2nd to early 2nd and pick him then. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

He won't get past the Colts (34th)/Raiders (35th)/49ers(36th) at the very top of the 2nd.  I think the Ravens or Texans could take him at 22/23 overall. Raiders are the team most likely to draft him, imo, at 24th or 27th overall. I'm hoping David Montgomery looks better at the combine, so some teams (not ours) move Jacobs to RB2.

Edited by Jeezla

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Have the Eagles ever drafted a RB in the 1st? Having a hard time remembering  one?

Better chance we acquire Fournett via trade for Foles then that occurring  IMO. Which is also slim.

The only 3 positions Howie has ever drafted in the 1st round are OL, DL and QB. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Have the Eagles ever drafted a RB in the 1st? Having a hard time remembering  one?

Better chance we acquire Fournett via trade for Foles then that occurring  IMO. Which is also slim.

I looked it up

Of the 133ish RBs we've drafted in any round..

We picked a RB 14ish times (there are 4/5 others listed just as Backs from pre-55 era) In the 1st round.
Only had two since the 60s

1st5qGTndr.png?1

Right now Shady is our highest drafted RB since 94

2ndHfeFH8o.png?1

Our next highest? Is currently coaching our RBs (Duce was the 71st overall pick in the 3rd)
3rdHEO8zXJ.png?1

I think when it comes to Howie and the current Legacy regime (Banner/Reid to Howie/Doug), they probably don't value RB too high like we all think.

But we probably look a little too much into it. They inherited Duce, so didn't really need one at the start. Then they took Westy in the 3rd when they were just looking for depth and struck gold. Then they just needed depth (missed pretty much on that) until a starter was needed . Hit on Shady and went back to not really needing one until Chip traded him. Signing FAs or doing trades since then has pushed the need a bit. But that's seemingly over with. 

I think at this point, we are in probably our strongest need point at RB in since the mid-90s.
Can't afford to bring FAs, can maybe do a trade, but doesn't seem likely. Sproles is old and fragile, Clement regressed, and Ajayi was already trending down with habitual knee issues.
We need a solution.

So I think if Jacobs is sitting there, they would take him. He's versatile enough and has little tread on him. Controlling him for 5 years would be nice, since paying RBs seems to be something the league isn't about doing really.

Pass on Jacobs, he's a hard in between the tackles runner but I think we can do better. He has 1 gear, he's probably a 4.6 guy. 

Unless we're getting away from RPOs I don't see him excelling in this offense. He's a downhill guy, that jump cut will work every now and then but its not make a NFL guy miss 

47 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

He should be available with one of our 2nd rounders. I would like that.

The more I think about it, the more I think picking Goedert with our first pick was a mistake. He was too much of a luxury pick.

A bit yeah, I think it was further questionable when they traded for Tate and limited Goedert because of it.

But he looked really good this year. Excited to see what the offense could look like where he's the 3rd option after Ertz and Alshon. with the backs and Nelly picking up what's left.

As much as they say they had no interest, stopping him from going to the Cowboys was big. As much as Dak isn't good, Zeke/Cooper/Goedert is a pretty good set of options.

looking at the board they seemingly were out on Guice. Justin Reid, BJ Hill and Hubbard would've made sense. Not sure how any of them looked this year.

Jacobs is definitely better than Holyfield. 

4 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Pass on Jacobs, he's a hard in between the tackles runner but I think we can do better. He has 1 gear, he's probably a 4.6 guy. 

Unless we're getting away from RPOs I don't see him excelling in this offense. He's a downhill guy, that jump cut will work every now and then but its not make a NFL guy miss 

Looks like a 4.5 guy to me.

Know who else has 1 gear? Shady McCoy, Leveon Bell, Kareem Hunt, David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte, etc.

If our FO thought Jay Ajayi was a great fit for our O, then Josh Jacobs is ideal. He can do everything Ajayi can do, but better, and he's probably got the best hands/route running combo out of any RB in this class.

Edited by Jeezla

18 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I looked it up

Of the 133ish RBs we've drafted in any round..

We picked a RB 14ish times (there are 4/5 others listed just as Backs from pre-55 era) In the 1st round.
Only had two since the 60s

1st5qGTndr.png?1

Right now Shady is our highest drafted RB since 94

2ndHfeFH8o.png?1

Our next highest? Is currently coaching our RBs (Duce was the 71st overall pick in the 3rd)
3rdHEO8zXJ.png?1

I think when it comes to Howie and the current Legacy regime (Banner/Reid to Howie/Doug), they probably don't value RB too high like we all think.

But we probably look a little too much into it. They inherited Duce, so didn't really need one at the start. Then they took Westy in the 3rd when they were just looking for depth and struck gold. Then they just needed depth (missed pretty much on that) until a starter was needed . Hit on Shady and went back to not really needing one until Chip traded him. Signing FAs or doing trades since then has pushed the need a bit. But that's seemingly over with. 

I think at this point, we are in probably our strongest need point at RB in since the mid-90s.
Can't afford to bring FAs, can maybe do a trade, but doesn't seem likely. Sproles is old and fragile, Clement regressed, and Ajayi was already trending down with habitual knee issues.
We need a solution.

So I think if Jacobs is sitting there, they would take him. He's versatile enough and has little tread on him. Controlling him for 5 years would be nice, since paying RBs seems to be something the league isn't about doing really.

How dare you make me remember Tony Hunt.....

19 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Jacobs is definitely better than Holyfield. 

Looks like a 4.5 guy to me.

Know who else has 1 gear? Shady McCoy, Leveon Bell, Kareem Hunt, David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte, etc.

If our FO thought Jay Ajayi was a great fit for our O, then Josh Jacobs is ideal. He can do everything Ajayi can do, but better, and he's probably got the best hands/route running combo out of any RB in this class.

Disagree 

McCoy, Bell we seen run away from defenders 

Gordon (can't believe you even mention him)

Lynch, Forte (maybe in their later years) 

By 1 gear meaning he's going to get up to top speed right away but not enough burst at the second level. 

Ajayi was a 1st and 2nd down runner and a guy they thought to acquire for a reasonable price (no more than 15 carries in 2017). Ajayi has more burst than Jacobs iyam. 

I'm talking about a 20+ carry guy.   

Jacobs injury history is a concern too... ankle, shoulder, hamstring. 

I'm not really high on any RB in this draft. I think Jacobs, Harris and Montgomery are all pretty overrated. If I had to pick a running back in this draft it'd be Snell, Hill or Weber - however, I think we're probably better off signing a low risk/low cost free agency and hoping that next years class is as good as it looks for RB (Dobbins, Taylor, Garris, Etienne, Akers, Swift, Sermon, Dillon, Carr).