NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

I kinda think Tua isn't a very good prospect at this time but don't disagree w/ your list. I think Eason will be the top guy when all said and done BTW. Still though, I think you agree, saying the 3rd best QB (right now) could never be a top 5 pick is a stupid comment lol

Honestly, it's a very wait and see thing for me, aside from Herbert at #1. 

Tua looked dreadful in the NCG. I didn't even see the box score so I ain't talking about that. His footwork, his progression on his reads, and his internal clock just all seemed bad.

Interesting that the Daniel Jones to the Giants rumors are the hottest right now involving QBs and Giants. All Giants beat writers, yes all of them, still maintain Drew Lock is the Giants preference at QB and it is for after pick 6. Also, there are the latest rumors that only the Giants and Dolphins have been talking to the Cardinals about trading for Rosen. Those seem more likely to me than Jones at 6. But I also thought for sure Odell wasn't going to get traded, so what do I know.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Honestly, it's a very wait and see thing for me, aside from Herbert at #1. 

Tua looked dreadful in the NCG. I didn't even see the box score so I ain't talking about that. His footwork, his progression on his reads, and his internal clock just all seemed bad.

As it should be for everyone.

Now you see why I feel Tua isn't a good pro prospect :) lol - He's going into his second full year. If he doesn't improve on a lot of things, he's going to make a ton of people sad when he gets drafted on a Thursday.

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Hopefully so much he falls to 7

There's like a 5% chance he gets past the Bucs at 5 and a 0% chance he gets past the Giants at 6. I can't come up with a realistic scenario where he doesn't go top 6. 

Just now, minutemancl said:

There's like a 5% chance he gets past the Bucs at 5 and a 0% chance he gets past the Giants at 6. I can't come up with a realistic scenario where he doesn't go top 6. 

2 QBs in the top 6

plus White, Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm New York I'm just gonna offer Pick 38 (or whatever it is) for Rosen, call it a day and be done with it.

I'm hoping that's the plan. I understand waiting until after they pick at 6 so teams trade up

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

Right now I got. 

1. Herbert
2. Tua
3. Fromm
4. Eason
5. Costello

But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Eason or Costello jump as high as #2.

22 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I kinda think Tua isn't a very good prospect at this time but don't disagree w/ your list. I think Eason will be the top guy when all said and done BTW. Still though, I think you agree, saying the 3rd best QB (right now) could never be a top 5 pick is a stupid comment lol

The key difference between 2019 and 2020 (and 2018 should be seen as on par depth-wise with 2020)?  Most of the 2019 1st round guys we are talking about - none of the lockdown Rd1 guys (Haskins or Murray) were even on the radar for top of draft.  It was Shea Patterson, or Lock, or Grier in the preseason of 2019.   And to say Grier and Lock failed to impress this year enough to solidify a Rd1 pick is a very fair statement.  For Grier's age, and the problems where Lock struggles, that's a HUGE problem.

The thing about Herbert, Tua and now Fromm (Eason gets a redshirt year in 2018, so harder evaluation, but it was there) - they've had early success at a young age, and a skill profile that has ppl excited for Rd1.  Should they fulfill that promise and progress in 2019, that means that they will be more like 2018's class, where Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield all showed consistent early production, and a much longer time period being viewed as a top-of-draft talent.

To me, the longer a player has the top-of-draft evaluation, the lower the bust risk.   To me, that's exactly what we saw with 2018's class, and we are seeing with 2020's class, should those be the top of the class and being seen as top of draft guys next year - it won't be a 1-year wonder phenomenon with a much higher risk of busting out.  On the other hand, the fact the list has changed so dramatically for 2019, it makes it far more likely that the 2019 Rd1 picks are being drively by insane need rather than by Rd1 evaluation, and so the comps to the very bad QB classes has real merit IMO.

Anyways, how that relates to Fromm - the fact that he's succeeded this early, even with flaws, against top teams, it speaks well to his Rd1 projection.  He's not a surefire pick yet, but unlike 1-year pop-up guys, he's going to have a body of work which is more reliable.  If he progresses next year, then he'll have earned a top-of-draft spot if he gets it.   That's a huge difference when we talk about guys like Fromm, Herbert & Tua (and yes, even Eason) than talking about this class, especially when we get past Haskins & Murray (who at least has a really good reason for why he only played 1 year).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The key difference between 2019 and 2020 (and 2018 should be seen as on par depth-wise with 2020)?  Most of the 2019 1st round guys we are talking about - none of the lockdown Rd1 guys (Haskins or Murray) were even on the radar for top of draft.  It was Shea Patterson, or Lock, or Grier in the preseason of 2019.   And to say Grier and Lock failed to impress this year enough to solidify a Rd1 pick is a very fair statement.  For Grier's age, and the problems where Lock struggles, that's a HUGE problem.

The thing about Herbert, Tua and now Fromm (Eason gets a redshirt year in 2018, so harder evaluation, but it was there) - they've had early success at a young age, and a skill profile that has ppl excited for Rd1.  Should they fulfill that promise and progress in 2019, that means that they will be more like 2018's class, where Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield all showed consistent early production, and a much longer time period being viewed as a top-of-draft talent.

To me, the longer a player has the top-of-draft evaluation, the lower the bust risk.   To me, that's exactly what we saw with 2018's class, and we are seeing with 2020's class.  On the other hand, the fact the list has changed so dramatically for 2019, it makes it far more likely that the 2019 Rd1 picks are being drively by insane need rather than by Rd1 evaluation.

Anyways, how that relates to Fromm - the fact that he's succeeded this early, even with flaws, against top teams, it speaks well to his Rd1 projection.  He's not a surefire pick yet, but unlike 1-year pop-up guys, he's going to have a body of work which is more reliable.  If he progresses next year, then he'll have earned a top-of-draft spot if he gets it.   That's a huge difference when we talk about guys like Fromm, Herbert & Tua (and yes, even Eason) than talking about this class, especially when we get past Haskins & Murray (who at least has a really good reason for why he only played 1 year).

Grier wasn't really in the conversation at the top. Drew Lock had shown quite a bit of success in 2017. I am curious to see if Colorado's Steve Montez can take that next step and put up big numbers, he throws a really pretty pass and has a good arm for sure.

Archived