2019 NFL Combine

squire12

Two positions the GBPs simply have to kill off: EDGE and TE. Get them done. Somehow.
Draft. FA. Walkoff the street guys. Players generated in a petri dish somewhere. I dont care, but do it. I'm sick and tired of hearing about these positions.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Two positions the GBPs simply have to kill off: EDGE and TE. Get them done. Somehow.
Draft. FA. Walkoff the street guys. Players generated in a petri dish somewhere. I dont care, but do it. I'm sick and tired of hearing about these positions.

AaaaaaAAAAaaamen.

I would put safety squarely in third place as far as needs are concerned, but there's another one that I'm tired of trying to fix and failing at it since Collins went down.  

I don't understand the obsession over the 40 time.  I can't recall the last time I seen a TE in gym shorts or a lineman in gym shorts line up in a sprinters stance during a football game.  

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Did you mean Edge and Safety?

We have Jimmy Graham at Tight End. 

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

First, you don't have to convince me Hockenson shouldn't be taken top 10.  I wouldn't take a tight end until 30th overall no matter what they did. 

However, 40 yard dash time really doesn't matter for tight ends.  Bubba Franks ran a 4.66 40 yard dash time when in reality he probably played the equivalent of a 4.9 40 yard dash.  He was slow. 

With tight ends, it's more about their playing speed.  You took issue with Austin Sefarian-Jenkins slow 40 time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ih92jyppc

Does any of that look slow to you? 

Same thing with Hockenson.  Does literally any of this look remotely slow to you? 

idk man .. 1:57-2:02 was pretty slow ... 

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't understand the obsession over the 40 time.  I can't recall the last time I seen a TE in gym shorts or a lineman in gym shorts line up in a sprinters stance during a football game.  

It's the one they put on tv because it's the most visually interesting.  People talk about it because it's the thing we can talk about while it's still happening (we have to wait for cone and shuttle times to leak out.)

Just now, SSG said:

1. Nobody cares about the lineman's 40 time. They care about the ten split.

2. There's an incredibly strong correlation between pro-bowl TEs and 40 time. There's one TE who made an All-Pro team with a 40 time slower than 4.70 since 2002 (when I stopped being able to find 40 times). That was Marcedes Lewis in 2010.  Slow TEs don't stand out.

I mean, no measurable can be so good that it guarantees that a guy will be a good player.  A measurable can be so bad, however, that it means a guy is very likely to not be a good player.  So when tight ends run a 4.9 or an OL runs an 8+ second 3 cone, you can just leave those guys off your board.

Archived