2019 NFL Draft V3

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

Matt Miller's latest mock has us passing up Q Williams because our young DTs played well. Another one of my points being validated.  @BayRaider and @NYRaider 

The Pick: LB Devin White, LSU

Here is where things get interesting. The Oakland Raiders have gone wild this offseason by trading for Antonio Brown, signing Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams and Lamarcus Joyner and bringing in Vontaze Burfict after the Cincinnati Bengals released him.

So where do they go with three first-round picks?

Speed at linebacker is still a need. Mike Mayock and Jon Gruden know they're too slow in the middle of the field. Adding Devin White and passing on Quinnen Williams is possible because the Raiders are so strong at defensive tackle with 2018 draft picks P.J. Hall and Maurice Hurst playing good ball.

White is close to perfect at middle linebacker and could have a monster impact from day one.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Smart to do due diligence on all positions. I’m hoping Carr gets one more season before we give up on him, but can’t fault them for looking at all their options.  It also doesn’t hurt in building more value on these QBs for trade options.

On 05/03/2019 at 10:13 PM, BayRaider said:

Exactly. ONLY flag is weight. And his weight is not even that bad. Give the man 10lbs. Piece of cake for a strength and conditioning coach. Burns is a strange case, I've always had him as a Top 10 guy yet no scouts see it the same way.

I don't think this is entirely correct, whilst his weight is a talking point for me it's how he anchors and holds the PoA against OL that counts. He hasn't shown that ability to hold up to big tackles at the point of attack, set the edge and use good leverage in the run game, something that is crucial and overlooked in a 4-3 DE and something I think Paul Guenther really looks for. He certainly has pass rush moves with athleticism and bend but I think he's probably more suited to 3-4 OLB or a LEO type role, I see Sweat being a much better fit for our defense as he's better at holding the PoA and using leverage although his pass rush isn't as polished.

I’d be totally fine taking a QB at 4 if the tape on all of them didn’t suck. I like Murray, but he won’t be there. Haskins tape makes me cringe... and Lock is Jay Cutler-esque. 

If we can get a 3rd somehow, I’m fine with Grier, or Ryan Finley in the 4th. Even if they don’t turn into starters we need a backup of the future anyways. 

21 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't think this is entirely correct, whilst his weight is a talking point for me it's how he anchors and holds the PoA against OL that counts. He hasn't shown that ability to hold up to big tackles at the point of attack, set the edge and use good leverage in the run game, something that is crucial and overlooked in a 4-3 DE and something I think Paul Guenther really looks for. He certainly has pass rush moves with athleticism and bend but I think he's probably more suited to 3-4 OLB or a LEO type role, I see Sweat being a much better fit for our defense as he's better at holding the PoA and using leverage although his pass rush isn't as polished.

This is a big part of the draft eval for me. Knowing what players fit our defense is more important than who "people" perceive as the best draft picks. The team took a chance on a smallish pass rusher last year in Key in the 3rd round.  I don't see them doing that with one of our 1st rounders ever.

1 hour ago, true2form said:

So you gave up on Mack after his rookie season? Or Nnamdi? Or just about every rookie ever?

How are you giving up on them? You can use more than 1 DT on the field together... Mack only had 4 sacks as a rookie but he had 75 total tackles, 16 TFL, and 12 QB hits. If we would've drafted an elite shut down CB like Revis to pair with Nnamdi is that giving up on him?

Hall and Hurst combined for 53 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 TFL, and 7 QB hits. That's not good, like, at all. Plus Quinnen, can play alongside either guy and there are situations that you can have all 4 on the field together. 

What's more valuable? A DT that can average 10-15 sacks per year or a DE that averages 5-8 sacks per year? 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Matt Miller's latest mock has us passing up Q Williams because our young DTs played well. Another one of my points being validated.  @BayRaider and @NYRaider 

Matt Miller thinks 10 TFL and 4 sacks while having the 30th best run defense in the league is good ball? So no team in the NFL should draft a DT this year because we had the worst group in the league, so if that's good ball, every other team in the league had amazing ball. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

How are you giving up on them? You can use more than 1 DT on the field together... Mack only had 4 sacks as a rookie but he had 75 total tackles, 16 TFL, and 12 QB hits. If we would've drafted an elite shut down CB like Revis to pair with Nnamdi is that giving up on him?

Hall and Hurst combined for 53 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 TFL, and 7 QB hits. That's not good, like, at all. Plus Quinnen, can play alongside either guy and there are situations that you can have all 4 on the field together. 

What's more valuable? A DT that can average 10-15 sacks per year or a DE that averages 5-8 sacks per year? 

Well I'd say you're giving up on the two players you just drafted for 3T if you draft a 3T.  Playing one of them at NT is fine, but I don't think any of them are NT. That's why we have Jelly and Hankins.

You make too many assumptions. I know everyone is hoping Q is in instant elite player before he hits the field, but you talk like it's a done deal.

What's more valuable?  A guy you throw into the DT rotation and hope he's everything you ever dreamed of or a guy who is guaranteed to better than what you already have at DE?

15 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Who tf is Matt Miller and how is this validation, it's just his opinion!

Validation that my opinion has merit. No some fan nonsense claiming we have to worst DT group in the NFL

Matt Miller on bleacher report . A simple search on Google could tell you that. Or if you even read this forum as he is talked about a lot

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Been saying this. Q. Williams, ould be a luxury pic. The whole BPA thing is a fallacy. Just something for fan speak, but in practice teams are taking the best player at a position they need.

I can see William sliding Outside the top five given the need for teams.

Archived