BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

@Whicker @wwhickok @BringinDaPain @PR @pheltzbahr @Counselor @Jlash @WFLukic @MD4L @RuskieTitan @bcb1213 @Ragnarok @SwoleXmad @Hockey5djh @SirA1

Before voting on schedule reduction, we need to talk about that item first. Cause if a majority goes with a 4 playoff team, it will automatically reduce the schedule size.

Prefer 8 

OK with 6

23 hours ago, Whicker said:

Hawaii should have missed the playoffs last year. Week 1 they made a major coaching error that cost them a winnable game. IMO, Hawaii should look back at that and say "damn, if I had just done a little thing different, I would have made the playoffs and maybe won a championship!"

Hawaii, IMO, is not at all a reason why a 7 seed should make it

So....because I made a large error week 1 I shouldn't be able to get back into the playoffs? As a rookie I started out 0-3 as I learned how to do writeups and deal with MAJOR injuries to my team (I basically had to convince people that Frank Clark was a pass rusher) and went 8-3 down the stretch to make it into the playoffs, sounds like post season drama to me.

23 hours ago, Whicker said:
23 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Well, would it create more drama, or would it decrease drama as fewer teams had a chance to get in to the playoffs and were eliminated earlier?

Do you have any examples of this?

Hawaii, 2018.

I would have went 0-3 and pretty much tanked after that because there's no way I would be able to crawl back into the playoffs.

It would be like college football when your favorite team gets two losses...you're naturally a little less invested because you know they have no shot at the national championship.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "math" side of not having 8 but does rewarding the top two seeds with byes really make a big difference over them playing teams that aren't as good. On the other side you have two less teams "buying" at the deadline, two less teams that really push for that final playoff spot, and two less write-ups that most people love doing...all so we can give two superior teams (that would more than likely win their first matchup, per your previous posts) a bye?

Also, since its kinda in the discussion, I wouldn't be opposed to going to conferences instead of divisions but i'm not sure how that would affect the schedule and/or balance. Just more of a "throw it against the wall" idea as I've always thought divisions reduce the diversity of the teams you play.

19 hours ago, Whicker said:
On 3/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, Whicker said:

The fact that this has been ignored is a little strange. This one has NOTHING to do with BDL or my team or your team or anything relevant to BDL. It instead uses objective data to show why a 12/32 aka 6/16 is a good playoff structure.

Also....I read this article which seems to be your main defense of your point. The article basically complains about the fact that there's 4 divisions instead of three (proving that the 4th division winner normally kinda sucks) not that reducing the number of wildcard teams would make the playoffs more interesting as you seem to be proposing.

47 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I hate to say this, I think with 8 playoff teams more people are invested, half the league is buying, half the league is selling at the trade deadline. Half of the teams make it and feel better about themselves, half feel like Rags. Cutting the amount of teams that makes the playoff reduces the trade deadline activity, Doesn't reduce the schedule (if we go to 6 teams), and increases the amount of people that feel like Rags.

As I said earlier in the thread, I will go through multiple games and show my point tomorrow when I'm not doing anything. 

But I disagree with this. 

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

Also....I read this article which seems to be your main defense of your point. The article basically complains about the fact that there's 4 divisions instead of three (proving that the 4th division winner normally kinda sucks) not that reducing the number of wildcard teams would make the playoffs more interesting as you seem to be proposing.

How is this the main defense of my point? I've made several points and this is one of many. 

The argument is that adding lesser quality teams to the playoffs is an overall negative. The concepts aren't going to translate completely linearly, but that main concept is the idea I was trying to convey 

17 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "math" side of not having 8 but does rewarding the top two seeds with byes really make a big difference over them playing teams that aren't as good. On the other side you have two less teams "buying" at the deadline, two less teams that really push for that final playoff spot, and two less write-ups that most people love doing...all so we can give two superior teams (that would more than likely win their first matchup, per your previous posts) a bye?

Yes. 

And I don't believe that's what will happen

39 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Hawaii, 2018.

I would have went 0-3 and pretty much tanked after that because there's no way I would be able to crawl back into the playoffs.

It would be like college football when your favorite team gets two losses...you're naturally a little less invested because you know they have no shot at the national championship.

Again, this will be addressed tomorrow 

Just now, Whicker said:

How is this the main defense of my point? I've made several points and this is one of many. 

The argument is that adding lesser quality teams to the playoffs is an overall negative. The concepts aren't going to translate completely linearly, but that main concept is the idea I was trying to convey 

The dude who wrote the article actually praises the divisional round as the top seeds would generally beat the lower seeds (as we see in the BDL). I agree that it would make the first round of the playoffs a little more competitive but I don't agree that adding lesser teams (or removing lesser teams in our case) is an overall positive for league activity but again, I'll wait until you elaborate on your points tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

So....because I made a large error week 1 I shouldn't be able to get back into the playoffs? As a rookie I started out 0-3 as I learned how to do writeups and deal with MAJOR injuries to my team (I basically had to convince people that Frank Clark was a pass rusher) and went 8-3 down the stretch to make it into the playoffs, sounds like post season drama to me.

No. 

It's about the season as a whole. It's not about week 1. I just happened to use your week 1 mistake as an example. It's not about you. It's not about Hawaii in specific. It's not about a missed gameplan or any specific instance. 

I don't know if I'm just viewing this the way I'd feel, but people should miss the playoffs and be able to look back and identify exactly why. I know why my team sucked two years ago, and I looked to fix it. I know why I lost last year, and I'm trying to fix it. 

Archived