Giants do NOT tag S Landon Collins, set to be a FA

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Collins had a great season and should have gotten more DPOY consideration in 2016. He’s a big hitter and pretty fun to watch. The issue is that even calling him average in coverage is generous. He’s ended both of the last two seasons on IR. I also suspect the Giants don’t like his locker room presence (he had the Twitter beef with Apple). That being said, He’s still young, very talented, and a clever coordinator that could utilize his strengths would make him a great addition. I’ve always wondered how he’d look as a weakside linebacker 

He's the best in the box safety in the NFL bar none. I think average in coverage is a pretty apt description. He is also a team captain, leader, home drafted talent and should have won DPOY in 2016. He was that good. Not even transition tagging him and letting him walk for nothing is inexcusable. Kansas City is going to love him and we are going to be stuck with Curtis Riley and Sean Chandler as safeties next year.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

He's the best in the box safety in the NFL bar none. I think average in coverage is a pretty apt description. He is also a team captain, leader, home drafted talent and should have won DPOY in 2016. He was that good. Not even transition tagging him and letting him walk for nothing is inexcusable. Kansas City is going to love him and we are going to be stuck with Curtis Riley and Sean Chandler as safeties next year.

The Giants retention rate of their top draft picks has been putrid the past decade, so seeing another one walk is disappointing. I think another part of it is safeties have somewhat been devalued. Everyone thought Eric Reid and Honeybadger were going to cash out, and their contracts were very reasonable. Maybe someone like Adrian Amos could be brought in at a more reasonable price?

Edit : I’ll add that most of the players the Giants have let walk, they made the right decision

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The Giants retention rate of their top draft picks has been putrid the past decade, so seeing another one walk is disappointing. I think another part of it is safeties have somewhat been devalued. Everyone thought Eric Reid and Honeybadger were going to cash out, and their contracts were very reasonable. Maybe someone like Adrian Amos could be brought in at a more reasonable price?

Edit : I’ll add that most of the players the Giants have let walk, they made the right decision

Michael Thomas played really well in place of Collins at the end of the year. We will absolutely be signing/drafting player(s) at the position as well, as reports are the Giants have already targeted cheaper replacements. The main problem is that he is a fan favorite, captain, home grown, and a playmaker. I really think Michael Thomas could be a good starting SS for us. But there is no chance he will have the impact that Collins does. It's really upsetting as a fan to watch him go for nothing.

I'm almost positive either Amos or Tre Boston will be signed this offseason. If they get anywhere close to 10 million a year though, I'm going to lose my mind.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Would be an amazing fit next to the super rangy Hooker too, provided Hooker can stay healthy. 

He would be an amazing fit in IND. And they have the cash to sign him... along with any other FAs they want.

9 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Doesn’t seem like they have the talent on the roster to be letting someone like him go. Am I wrong?

No, you're right. The only way this makes sense though is if Gettleman is building the team from the inside out, like he claimed he would. If he spends big money (not necessarily all on 1 or 2 guys, but lots of money in general) on DL and OL, I'll understand this move. Otherwise, I'm lost.

Archived