Bears sign S Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

WindyCity

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What? Impossible! :D

@beardown3231

I don't know their process, but I strongly suspect aren't watching one player ever rep and making an assessment of his play at end of each game which is what a coach does, which is what a scout does, which is what I do when I make an assessment.

They are using short cuts.  Probably computerized ones, algorithms and what not.  So they can do lots of grades with few actual eye balls doing the work.

46 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@beardown3231

I don't know their process, but I strongly suspect aren't watching one player ever rep and making an assessment of his play at end of each game which is what a coach does, which is what a scout does, which is what I do when I make an assessment.

They are using short cuts.  Probably computerized ones, algorithms and what not.  So they can do lots of grades with few actual eye balls doing the work.

Exactly. I thoroughly enjoyed your write-ups much more

I was a bit worried when I saw the headline, hoping we didn't throw big money at him. But $3.5 for 1 year? Great value.

HCD is a more of a playmaker than Amos, that being said his bad games are WAY worse than Amos' usually.

Over 16 games here is the lazy general expectation of each -

HCD - 8 ok, 3 bad, 2 fantastic, 2 good, 1 god awful

Amos - 10 ok, 2 bad, 1 fantastic, 2 good, 1 god awful

Jackson is the deep safety that is crucial to the defense. His play allowed Fuller to play off man and AMukamara to be so aggressive at the line, he is their back up and any floating balls are at risk for an INT from him.

Amos didn't have a ton of responsibilities for man coverage or to key on the best WRs, that aided him in his pass coverage. HCD will reap the same benefits. Amos will hurt you less than HCD, but HCD can save you on a few more plays. I actually like Amos more as a player, but HCD was the better signing IMO strictly because of value. I'm not really high on him but he is a much better placekeeper than several many others, and if he starts to suck then Bush gets his audition for the bigger deal next offseason.

HHCD being more of a coverage safety should give Jackson more space to roam Ed Reed style. I’m less worried about the run defense aspects of his game because our entire front 7 is stock full of really good run defenders. 

If he balls he’s gonna get a mega deal next offseason and we’re gonna get a 3/4 as a comp pick in 2021. If he struggles then he’s off the books by this time next year. I think he’s overrated nationally and him needing to take a 1-year deal this offseason supports that, but this deal is an ideal low risk high reward addition for us. 

5 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Where are all these so called Packer fans claiming Amos iZ gUna B a HuGe pLaYmAkeRz at??? Lol. I mention how bad HHCD play was recently in a bears thread and everyone loses their mind. 

So you call countering your opinions with our own facts to back our opinions "loosing our minds".   I suppose we're all "Fake News" too huh?

Amos is a very consistent performer who became a perfect fit in Vic Fangio's offense.  He and Ed Donatell have a rep for developing very good Safeties.

But some of those same guys who left SF as FAs did not do as well playing in other schemes with their new teams and in Amos' case his play got much better after he was paired with Eddie Jackson.  GB isn't getting the pair of 'em,  just Amos and a playmaker type he is not.

I'm thrilled former Bama teammates Jackson and Clinton-Dix will be playing together again and even more thrilled Ha Ha chose to come to Chicago for far less money than he may have been worth.  Having players like that is how you win championships.

45 minutes ago, soulman said:

So you call countering your opinions with our own facts to back our opinions "loosing our minds".   I suppose we're all "Fake News" too huh?

Amos is a very consistent performer who became a perfect fit in Vic Fangio's offense.  He and Ed Donatell have a rep for developing very good Safeties.

But some of those same guys who left SF as FAs did not do as well playing in other schemes with their new teams and in Amos' case his play got much better after he was paired with Eddie Jackson.  GB isn't getting the pair of 'em,  just Amos and a playmaker type he is not.

I'm thrilled former Bama teammates Jackson and Clinton-Dix will be playing together again and even more thrilled Ha Ha chose to come to Chicago for far less money than he may have been worth.  Having players like that is how you win championships.

This makes literal 0 sense. Lol. 

HaHa took far less money to come to Chicago? Now THAT sounds like some "fake news". He didn't get **** for offers based off the reflection of his recent play.

As far as him fitting into Chicago. He sure as hell better flip the switch in the way he plays, Chi is known for its tough, hard nose defense and he's been well known for the opposite. If there is one place he could've signed to hide his weaknesses, Chicago is probably the best fit!

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

This makes literal 0 sense. Lol. 

HaHa took far less money to come to Chicago? Now THAT sounds like some "fake news". He didn't get **** for offers based off the reflection of his recent play.

As far as him fitting into Chicago. He sure as hell better flip the switch in the way he plays, Chi is known for its tough, hard nose defense and he's been well known for the opposite. If there is one place he could've signed to hide his weaknesses, Chicago is probably the best fit!

What makes 0 sense?  What I read was posts by you coming from the perspective of a typical GB fan being countered by posts from Bears fans using their own facts and observations.  With the possible exception of one poster who I'm guessing is young and somewhat ill informed who was "losing their minds"?  So I'm only asking you to account for that statement.

As for taking less money, Spotrac estimated his MV on a new deal at $9 mil AAV pretty much in line with what Amos got.  Makes sense as they are fairly equal although somewhat different in their skills sets.  Might be a bit high but then GB exercised his $5.957 mil 5th year option in 2018 so something in the $7 mil AAV range would not have been out of whack.

And now account for his not having gotten ****e for offers?

We have no idea what Washington offered him but they obviously felt it was significant enough to compete with others because they said they wanted him back.  As far as I can tell Chicago was his first visit and he agreed to a 1 year deal for far less than his 2018 pay,  less than the $7 mil AAV or more he may have gotten on a longer term deal, and from his own words less than whatever Washington offered which may well have been a multi-year deal.

Sounds to me like he opted for a 1 year prove yourself deal expecting to turn that into a far better offer in 2020 than he was seeing this year.  Look at how well that worked out for Tyrann Mathieu.

He's gonna be challenged in Chicago playing as a SS if indeed that's how he's used but he could also be used as a Slot CB and a Dime Safety at times because we have a young SS whose a "banger" in the box but not as good in coverage so Ha Ha also provides us with added depth at FS should Jackson get hurt.  An injury kept him out of our playoff game and may have helped Philly to win since Bush who took his place is not a competent FS.

So we picked up a couple of versatile vet DBs in FA who in combination are costing us about $7 mil in cap space this year.  Very affordable.  They may not be top tier guys but both will be playing in a far better defense than they were in and for a DC with a rep for scheming his secondary very well.  And that secondary has two Pro Bowlers and another savvy experienced CB as well.  Add in our pass rush and they may both do quite well here anyway.

Bottom line is we would have loved to have kept both Amos and Callahan but they were overpriced for us so we found other options we could afford and we move on quite possibly with better versatility and depth than we had before and we still have the draft ahead of us.  I'm good with this.

In reading through comments on this signing I came across some other thoughts one of which rang a bell.

There were times last season when Fangio had Jackson moving up in coverage using his instincts to attack the ball as he did on that pick six against Detroit that proved to be a game winner.  That would leave us with Amos having to play deep coverage or no deep coverage at all.

Having HHC-D paired with Jackson gives us more opportunities to do that knowing C-Dix can handle deep coverage far better than Amos and it allows Jackson to play even more aggressively at times.  Let's face it the kid can be a royal terror and a TD machine when he can attack the ball.

Jackson isn't the best tackler in the world either but that can be improved via some coaching.  The kind of speed, range, and instincts required to be a major ball hawk can't.  With the DL and LBs we have our need for a pure hitter type box Safety isn't as great as it may be for other defenses.

C-Dix also has 14 picks in his career vs 3 for Amos.  If we can contain the run as well as we usually do having two Safeties in coverage who are skilled at creating turnovers is gonna be more valuable in the long run than a few missed tackles and we have Bush to handle a more typical SS role if needed.

With a front 7 like this in a league that is becoming more and more about passing the ball having two "FS" types at safety makes far more sense than having an in the box guy...if we keep stopping the run as well and Mack keeps being Mack then I expect us to continue to stifle the vast majority of offences.

HHCD

Plays super well: Bears get a high end season and then probably a high comp pick when he leaves in 2020.

Plays okay: you could extend him for a reasonable amount or let him walk.

Plays bad: you have no commitment to him beyond this season.

There is no downside to this move for the Bears as I cannot see him being worse on the field in 2019 than Bush.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Sounds to me like he opted for a 1 year prove yourself deal expecting to turn that into a far better offer in 2020 than he was seeing this year.  Look at how well that worked out for Tyrann Mathieu.

This is exactly what happened.  He didn't get a big money offer because people don't trust him to be fully committed right now.  Mainly because GB was really down on him and raising red flags.

So he is gambling on a one year deal.  If you are going to gamble on a one year under paid deal where you want to look really good and get paid where would you go?

A smart person goes to place he is going to look best.  Mathieu went to Houston which had star players on defense.  Smart.  It is way easier to look like a stud with studs around you.  There is a chain effect when someone beats their man.  

Dix did same thing.  He is going to play with best defense in the league on paper.  If he starts, which he should, and balls out he will get many multiples of what he could have got this year with his best offer.  

Only downside is if he get early before he puts some good tape together.  

Sad thing for Bears is he will only be here one year.  If he is here for two it means he played bad or got hurt.  Good thing for Bears is he may help them win a title on the cheap.  

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is exactly what happened.  He didn't get a big money offer because people don't trust him to be fully committed right now.  Mainly because GB was really down on him and raising red flags.

So he is gambling on a one year deal.  If you are going to gamble on a one year under paid deal where you want to look really good and get paid where would you go?

A smart person goes to place he is going to look best.  Mathieu went to Houston which had star players on defense.  Smart.  It is way easier to look like a stud with studs around you.  There is a chain effect when someone beats their man.  

Dix did same thing.  He is going to play with best defense in the league on paper.  If he starts, which he should, and balls out he will get many multiples of what he could have got this year with his best offer.  

Only downside is if he get early before he puts some good tape together.  

Sad thing for Bears is he will only be here one year.  If he is here for two it means he played bad or got hurt.  Good thing for Bears is he may help them win a title on the cheap.  

That's ok because there will always be bargains to be had in FA of every year, and if HaHa goes on to have a good season and in turn the Bears D has another good to great year, then you can expect other vets to want to come play here next year to do the exact same thing that Mathieu and Dix are doing.

Pace could also draft another S this year to groom behind Dix and Bush.

Archived