49ers sign Jordan Matthews WR

49erurtaza

My feeling with this signing is it's insurance in case we don't get the WR we're targeting in the draft. I remember before the combine, several people were talking about how the Niners are "all in" on the WRs of this draft. I think they like Matthews enough to give him a tryout, but he's by no means a lock or even a preference to make the roster. As soon as we draft the WR we want, Matthews will be battling with Bourne for a roster spot. 

6 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My feeling with this signing is it's insurance in case we don't get the WR we're targeting in the draft. I remember before the combine, several people were talking about how the Niners are "all in" on the WRs of this draft. I think they like Matthews enough to give him a tryout, but he's by no means a lock or even a preference to make the roster. As soon as we draft the WR we want, Matthews will be battling with Bourne for a roster spot. 

I agree with this, I think it's more if a competition move. If he regains his form I think he could be a powerhouse in the slot position. He's only 26, 6'3,  once ran his 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds and caught 225 passes during his first three seasons.

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'd caution optimism with Matthews. He was traded with a 3rd round pick for Ronald Darby a few years back to the bills who needed receiving help, did nothing while in buffalo. later signed with New England when they needed receiving help and was released before training camp even started, then resigned with the eagles when they also were in dire need of receivers and he was largely irrelevant-especially in the second half of the season. His injury history is another thing working against him, and not someone we can expect any ST contributions from. I think some of you are remembering him as the prospect coming out of Vanderbilt (where I loved him too) but so far he's proven to be a bust. His hands are terrible, injuries plague him, and needed a heavy amount of targets to just put up mediocre numbers. 

I get there's a need for higher success in the redzone but truth be told I hope when the season comes around we can do better. 

Your point is valid. He's production has tailed off dramatically after his promising third season. I just like his fit in this scheme, if he is able to stay healthy. He flashed a little in his return to Philly last season. Think he may have some solid play still in him, under the right circumstances.

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Ian Williams commented on this signing by saying "I can definitely see him blossoming into being that #1 receiver the 49ers desperately need."

cmon man lol 

I'm definitely not saying that...but I think he could definitely be a very good third WR

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Solid salary to be a camp body. 

For Matthews? yeah..but a part of me also thinks that Trent Taylor may actually be the odd man out of this WR group. I'd still bet odds on Matthews being the guy cut..but wouldn't be at all surprised to see Taylor get the short straw. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

For Matthews? yeah..but a part of me also thinks that Trent Taylor may actually be the odd man out of this WR group. I'd still bet odds on Matthews being the guy cut..but wouldn't be at all surprised to see Taylor get the short straw. 

Especially with James in the mix also, who I feel is just a better overall talent than Taylor. 

25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Especially with James in the mix also, who I feel is just a better overall talent than Taylor. 

Yup and I don't see them wanting to sneak James by anyone.

WR. Pettis, Goodwin, Bourne

WR. Matthews, James. (Bourne). 

sixth being a rookie and I could see us holding 6 with all the ST value on this sqaud between Bourne, James and Pettis. Also another glass unit too.

59 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think Trent’s back issues affected him more last year than most realize. I think he’ll come back this year and carve out a role for himself personally.

I agree. He showed some good wiggle at the end of last year. Hopefully the back injury is behind him (pun intended)

I think the combination of his short area quickness with Garoppolo's lightning fast release and pinpoint accuracy is a match made in heaven 

Good thing I didn't buy a #81 jersey after his rookie season lol waiting on breida to sign an extension currently

Archived