Clay Matthews Signs with Rams

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

How does signing Clay help the Ram's offense score more than three points in the SB?.....

I keep seeing comments like this, but we were the second highest scoring offense in the regular season with 527. The defense on the other hand were mid-range with 384. We needed a lot more focus on the D than the O. The SB ironically was a terrible night for the strongest part of our game, but a good one for the weakest part of our game. I'm sure we will draft some offensive players, but there's no need to panic on that side of the ball. 

15 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

I keep seeing comments like this, but we were the second highest scoring offense in the regular season with 527. The defense on the other hand were mid-range with 384. We needed a lot more focus on the D than the O. The SB ironically was a terrible night for the strongest part of our game, but a good one for the weakest part of our game. I'm sure we will draft some offensive players, but there's no need to panic on that side of the ball. 

We were also the 2nd highest scoring team in the Super Bowl this year.... so there's that.

3 hours ago, Special Teamer said:

Rams: Don't sign really anybody noteworthy for ~15 years.

Rams: Sign ~3 household names in 2 consecutive offseasons.

DoleINGout: "such a rams move"

The LA Rams that is... not the St. Louis Rams. They've gone Hollywood.

3 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Well when you get outscored by 15 different soccer teams that same day, people are going to poke

48 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Well when you get outscored by 15 different soccer teams that same day, people are going to poke

Hey the Rams still scored more than I did in high school...so that's something...

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Clay Matthews, aka, "the feral barbie doll" has been missing in action for the last 2-3 years.  Hopefully for the Rams' sake he can contribute, but it doesn't surprise me that the Pack got rid of him.  He is a shell of what he once was.  Maybe not a bad deal if they aren't paying him much, but they shouldn't expect too much out of him.

Clay's sacks during the last five seasons playing OLB in Green Bay:

2018 - 3.5

2017 - 7.5

2016 - 5

2015 - 6.5

2013 -  7.5

It has been a long, long time since Clay has been a premiere edge rusher even though he was paid and appeared in commercials like he was still a top performer over the past several years. (He did have 11 sacks in 2014 when playing ILB).

Perhaps Donald's push in the middle will create some clean up opportunities for him, but Clay has not been able to consistently win 1 on 1 battles with Tackles for years now.

32 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Clay's sacks during the last five seasons playing OLB in Green Bay:

2018 - 3.5

2017 - 7.5

2016 - 5

2015 - 6.5

2013 -  7.5

It has been a long, long time since Clay has been a premiere edge rusher even though he was paid and appeared in commercials like he was still a top performer over the past several years. (He did have 11 sacks in 2014 when playing ILB).

Perhaps Donald's push in the middle will create some clean up opportunities for him, but Clay has not been able to consistently win 1 on 1 battles with Tackles for years now.

Personally I'm not relying on Clay for much. I'm sort of hoping he's a 2 down ILB who rotates in at OLB as a backup.

But having said that, it'll be interesting to see Clay as the 3rd best pass rusher (and playing with the best defensive player in football), as well as being possibly the 8th or 9th best player on the defense.

Archived