2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

NY Post: Thursday night, the Blue Jays struck out 15 times, the Padres 15 times, the Braves 14 times. Wednesday, the Angels struck out 14 times.

Friday against the Yankees, though benefiting from the DH, the Rockies struck out 17 times. That night, the White Sox struck out 16 times, the Rangers 15. The impossible has become the new homer-or-strikeout analytics standard.

At the end of last season, even the Commissioner’s Office recognized MLB games were taking on water as a game in fundamental disrepair, a home run-or-strikeout derby often against shifts to which batters comply, surrender.

So what did teams do during spring training to try to fix that? Nothing. The only significant change is that routine fly balls now appear as routine home runs. The Game has grown even more bereft of anything other than homers or strikeouts.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

NY Post: Thursday night, the Blue Jays struck out 15 times, the Padres 15 times, the Braves 14 times. Wednesday, the Angels struck out 14 times.

Friday against the Yankees, though benefiting from the DH, the Rockies struck out 17 times. That night, the White Sox struck out 16 times, the Rangers 15. The impossible has become the new homer-or-strikeout analytics standard.

At the end of last season, even the Commissioner’s Office recognized MLB games were taking on water as a game in fundamental disrepair, a home run-or-strikeout derby often against shifts to which batters comply, surrender.

So what did teams do during spring training to try to fix that? Nothing. The only significant change is that routine fly balls now appear as routine home runs. The Game has grown even more bereft of anything other than homers or strikeouts.

As much as I detest it, they are 100% going to ban the overshift rather than make any meaningful changes.

I don't feel like doing the math but I believe that only about 28% of at-bats (not plate appearances) end in a HR or K. And HRs only account for 3 or 4 points of that. More than in the past? Sure. But the notion that there is a HR-K derby is dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

Saw that yesterday, the Red Sox, for whatever reason, seem to struggle vs. the Orioles. 

They didnt last year (as I recalled....) so I looked it up at MLB: These teams have met 51 times in the last 3 seasons (with 2019 counting as one of those three). Boston has the better record at 33-18.

Not sure how current those numbers are to include 2019 games - but they've handled them pretty well.

They didnt last year (as I recalled....) so I looked it up at MLB: These teams have met 51 times in the last 3 seasons (with 2019 counting as one of those three). Boston has the better record at 33-18.

Not sure how current those numbers are to include 2019 games - but they've handled them pretty well.

That is a .352 winning percentage. The orioles have a .316 winning percentage for the season this year. I know the sample sizes of those two numbers don't coincide but to keep it simple, seems like the orioles DO play better against the redsox. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

That is a .352 winning percentage. The orioles have a .316 winning percentage for the season this year. I know the sample sizes of those two numbers don't coincide but to keep it simple, seems like the orioles DO play better against the redsox. 

They handled the NYY last year as well....or it seemed that way at least considering the NYY won 100 games but couldnt seem to put the Orioles down. Think the fact the teams play each other....what?.....16 times a year?......comes into play.