Vikings sign OL Josh Kline (3 yr/$15.75M)

TheRealMcCoy

20 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He signed a 4 year, $26.2 million dollar deal for us last year. He's cut this year. That should be enough to tell you.

If Andy Levitre is any indication, Kline is going to be solid for Minnesota. IIRC, Tennessee gave Levitre a $50 million deal, he "sucked" and then went to Atlanta where he was a great addition for a late round pick. If Kline does indeed go back to being a solid lineman, that tells me it's more of an issue with Tennessee. Guys don't just drop off a cliff and suddenly become decent again. Inb4 Saffold is cut in two years. 

36 minutes ago, swoosh said:

If Andy Levitre is any indication, Kline is going to be solid for Minnesota. IIRC, Tennessee gave Levitre a $50 million deal, he "sucked" and then went to Atlanta where he was a great addition for a late round pick. If Kline does indeed go back to being a solid lineman, that tells me it's more of an issue with Tennessee. Guys don't just drop off a cliff and suddenly become decent again. Inb4 Saffold is cut in two years. 

Very different situations. 

Levitre we tried to move from a zone blocking scheme into our (at the time) more power blocking scheme and he was a poor fit. I'm guessing Atlanta was using ZBS and he was a much better fit for their scheme. 

Kline on the other hand has a history of playing well for us and just took a sharp decline last season.

I like the signing. I think he came at solid value, and is an improvement over what we had last year (and we need OG's badly). It also offers flexibility in who we draft, we still need to get another IOL, but it's less pressing in that it doesn't have to be the first two picks to get two new linemen, we can add one this year, and then some depth.

9 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I like the signing. I think he came at solid value, and is an improvement over what we had last year (and we need OG's badly). It also offers flexibility in who we draft, we still need to get another IOL, but it's less pressing in that it doesn't have to be the first two picks to get two new linemen, we can add one this year, and then some depth.

If you say so 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:27 PM, TwoToneBlue said:

Very different situations. 

Levitre we tried to move from a zone blocking scheme into our (at the time) more power blocking scheme and he was a poor fit. I'm guessing Atlanta was using ZBS and he was a much better fit for their scheme. 

Kline on the other hand has a history of playing well for us and just took a sharp decline last season.

Would the same be fore Kline then? We are switching to a ZBS scheme this year.

33 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Would the same be fore Kline then? We are switching to a ZBS scheme this year.

No, we have since switched to ZBS. 

He’s still fairly young so he has a chance to bounce back I would think. 

Believe the Titans wanted him back as a backup as we tried to restructure his deal and he declined. 

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He's not very good and Spielman rarely hits on OL. I've seen this episode before.

I feel bad for Kirk Cousins.

I don't. Not having the money to upgrade the OL has a lot to do with the money committed to Cousins. Just have to hope that MN can find two good, immediate impact OL in the draft.

Archived