Texans sign LT Matt Khalil

ET80

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Injuries killed Kalil's career. He looked like a stud as a rookie but was garbage every year after. 

Joe Thomas was injured terribly throughout his career and performed excellently until his tricep snapped. 

Amazing the way guys react and/or are impacted by injury differently.

Exciting article on the Texan's new Left-Tackle Messiah, Matt Kalil!

https://houseofhouston.com/2019/03/22/houston-texans-rumors-matt-kalil-team-gambling-big-time/

So how has Kalil done despite playing just one full season over the past three?  Let’s take a dive into the numbers.

"According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Kalil had a 62.4 overall, 69.9 pass block and 54.3 run block grade, ranking him 23rd among tackles with at least 892 snaps.  He allowed 46 pressures (31 quarterback hurries, eight QB hits and seven sacks) and racked up 10 penalties, the 2nd-highest mark of his career, through 1,100 snaps in 2017.

How does he stack up with the rest of the competition when he’s healthy?  Kalil was ranked 40th

among eligible tackles in pass blocking efficiency with a grade of 95.6"

-As a long-suffering Giants' fan, who has witnessed Eli Manning reduced to a terrified hunk of jelly working behind the "blocking", as it's known, of Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart, and Chad "Surfer Dude" Wheeler, I am bitterly envious. Why couldn't the Giants sign Matt Kalil? He'd have fit right in!

Sexy beard, too- I felt a stir of perverse interest myself, gazing at the manly visage:

Image result for Matt Kalil

Matt Kalil has been a poster-child for the Former First-Round Pick Syndrome, meaning that he has continued to be given chances despite years of disappointment, owing to his high-first status. Also has profited from having a brother (same genes!) who was a good center; and the "Well- He Got Injured" Eternal Pass.

Meanwhile, Juli'en Davenport fries while Kalil burns; is there a conspiracy amid the Texan's braintrust to weed out all blockers with apostrophe-studded names- first Xavier Su'a-Filo, now Davenport????

What the hey! Now, with the addition of ***MATT KALIL***!!! to the Texans, can the Super Bowl be far behind???? 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Real talk though. I know he had a promising rookie season. What caused him to fall off? Lack of effort? Injuries took a toll and took away some physical quality he had in his rookie year? How did he go from promising to garbage in one season?

Injuries mainly. But at least in Minnesota it felt like after his rookie year some heart left. It was clear he didnt like Minnesota and seemed to miss California. How was he in Carolina? Did being with his brother help at all?

On 3/23/2019 at 7:50 AM, bzane said:

Exciting article on the Texan's new Left-Tackle Messiah, Matt Kalil!

https://houseofhouston.com/2019/03/22/houston-texans-rumors-matt-kalil-team-gambling-big-time/

So how has Kalil done despite playing just one full season over the past three?  Let’s take a dive into the numbers.

"According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Kalil had a 62.4 overall, 69.9 pass block and 54.3 run block grade, ranking him 23rd among tackles with at least 892 snaps.  He allowed 46 pressures (31 quarterback hurries, eight QB hits and seven sacks) and racked up 10 penalties, the 2nd-highest mark of his career, through 1,100 snaps in 2017.

How does he stack up with the rest of the competition when he’s healthy?  Kalil was ranked 40th

among eligible tackles in pass blocking efficiency with a grade of 95.6"

-As a long-suffering Giants' fan, who has witnessed Eli Manning reduced to a terrified hunk of jelly working behind the "blocking", as it's known, of Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart, and Chad "Surfer Dude" Wheeler, I am bitterly envious. Why couldn't the Giants sign Matt Kalil? He'd have fit right in!

Sexy beard, too- I felt a stir of perverse interest myself, gazing at the manly visage:

Image result for Matt Kalil

Matt Kalil has been a poster-child for the Former First-Round Pick Syndrome, meaning that he has continued to be given chances despite years of disappointment, owing to his high-first status. Also has profited from having a brother (same genes!) who was a good center; and the "Well- He Got Injured" Eternal Pass.

Meanwhile, Juli'en Davenport fries while Kalil burns; is there a conspiracy amid the Texan's braintrust to weed out all blockers with apostrophe-studded names- first Xavier Su'a-Filo, now Davenport????

What the hey! Now, with the addition of ***MATT KALIL***!!! to the Texans, can the Super Bowl be far behind???? 

Matt Kalil's greatest achievement not only in his football career but in life as well is the honor of saying he's met and worked with Stefon "Miracle Worker" Diggs.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:54 AM, Texansfan713 said:

gaine makes stupid and questionable moves. kalil isnt good. i would rather have donald penn if we were trying to sign an OT.

Chances are Penn wanted a multi year deal and the Texans weren't interested in making that sort of commitment. 

I'm getting the feeling that Kalil is nothing more than a contingency plan - if Davenport and the rookie look better than Kalil, then he probably won't even make it out of training camp. If everything goes wrong in TC (rookie/Davenport don't look ready, get injured, etc) you might put Kalil in there for a few weeks to simply hold down a spot until one of the young guys is ready; You go max protection with TE Darren Fells operating as an extra T on Kalil's side and wait for the rookie/Davenport.

Not the best plan, but it's a plan at least.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:57 PM, Tyty said:

Ronde Barber was referred to as Ronde Barber and not ‘Tiki Barber’s brother’. Matt kalil is just Ryan Kalil’s brother. That’s about as high as the praise gets for him. 

well to be fair tiki should have been called ronde barbers brother. Ronde was way better.

Archived