Gronk Retires

goldfishwars

15 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Then, again, why is Sterling Sharpe not in the HOF?

1) You're comparing WR achievements to TE achievements

2) 9th in total yards and 1st in yards per game

3) 3rd in total TD's with 79 on only 794 targets. Gates is 1st in total TD's with 116 on 1459 targets and Gonzalez is 2nd with 111 TD's on 2012 targets.

4) He's an incredible blocking TE as well.

5) He has 3 rings. 

Using the stats argument alone he  HOF'er. Then you add in the 3 rings and it isn't even a contest. 

Even if you don't think he's a first ballot HOF'er, you simply have a grudge against Gronk if you don't think that he is a HOF'er regardless of whether he is a first ballot or not.

Personally, I'm glad he's hanging them up.

Now, don't get me wrong - I loved every single minute of his playing career. I just think it's best to put his health for life after football first, instead of absolutely destroying himself to add a few extra legacy points.

3x SB Champion / 4x 1st Team AP / Lock 1st Ballot HOF  ... That's a helluva career & an almighty legacy. Now go live a good & long  life after football. I wish for nothing but the best for him.

Gronk was close to the perfect TE. But if you could add just one ingredient - it'd be a sprinkling of elusiveness. A little fluidity in the hips would've gone a long way to prolonging his career.    

One of the greatest Patriots to ever play in my opinion; up there with Steve Grogan, Bruce Armstrong, Troy Brown, and Tom Brady. You couldn't go out any better than Gronk did, fighting Father Time and Uncle Injury all the way to one more Super Bowl win. An athletic freak of nature with business sense who has saved all his money. I'll miss watching him play, and I wish him well in the future.

Interesting theory - Gronk isn't retiring completely. He's just taking extended time off, and around November he's gonna get the call from Brady/Belicheck and play the final month of the season and the entire post-season.

Either that or he's gonna pull a Witten, sit for a year and get the itch in 2020. 

A fully rested, healed up Gronk, a year away from the abuse he takes... frothing at the bit in 2020? Geez, that could be scary.

Archived