Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

I mean, watching the offense do something they normally do (though low percentage) and watching the defense do something they normally do is bound to be more interesting/exciting than watching the incredibly low percentage shot by a kicking team which rarely does this and/or hoping the "hands team"does/doesn't do something phenomenally incompetent just from an "aesthetic value of football" perspective.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're not a fan of Jeff Fisher winning a football game by dropping a dope *** Yu-Gi-Oh card, you're beyond saving because even typing that sentence got me hot and bothered.

...what's a Yu-Gi-Oh?

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nerd stuff. Mentally replace it with an Uno card. Same thing basically.

Aha. Joke is ruined by my lack of knowledge on a Yu-Gi-Oh, but I learned something today.

Just now, ET80 said:

Aha. Joke is ruined by my lack of knowledge on a Yu-Gi-Oh, but I learned something today.

Joke? I think you're confused. I was suggesting completely serious rules to improve football just like a 4th and 15 with no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down instead of an onside kick.

36 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Joke? I think you're confused. I was suggesting completely serious rules to improve football just like a 4th and 15 with no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down instead of an onside kick.

Add cages with live pigeons on the sideline that are released on the snap of the ball and I'm in.

Love it! This is partly why the NFL is superior to every other sport. They continue to evolve and introduce better, more exciting ideas. In terms of pointless plays, onside kicks were going the way of PATs from the 2 yard line. It was the same result basically every time, especially since the recent change of no running starts. 

And think about the different times teams can employ this. Think of an unlikely Jets/Pats shootout for example. How many times do you see an underdog team go up by 3 with about two minutes left, and you know someone like Brady is going to march the offense right down the field and score. In this scenario, this could give a team like the Jets an opportunity to finish off the game in one play. I know I'm doing a ton of speculating but it's fun thinking about it. And that's the point. Sprinkle in something a little different to add more excitement and possibilities.

9 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

If there was a penalty they shouldn't get the automatic first like if it was illegal contact downfield during a regular play.  They should get the 5 yards but not the automatic 1st.  Only way they should get the free first is PI beyond the 15 yard mark.  PI inside 15 should be yardage and replay the attempt from the spot of the foul.

Yes, this. Until a first down is converted or the ball changes possession, no automatic first downs are awarded. If the penalty yardage accrued is enough to get the first down, then it can be converted that way.

7 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

My question is would it be a live play or pass/fail like a two point conversion? If you score a TD on the play does it count or do you get the ball with a net set of downs at the 30?

If it’s the former, that’s a giant advantage to offenses.

Should be a live ball, with the clock starting on the snap (because it is now "in play" a la the way kickoffs work now).

7 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It doesn't run on any other kickoff/after-score try plays. Otherwise the same problem would exist with 2-point attempts where you could just run backwards for 10 seconds.

The clock starts when the ball is in play. If the ball goes out of the endzone or the runner never leaves the endzone, the clock never starts. This is why no team should ever have their returner come out of the endzone (unless they are ahead).

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is an interesting point. If a team is up with a few seconds left, seems like they would just go for the 4th and 15 and run out the clock on purpose. Don't really like that.

This is a fair criticism. Could make it a max run off of 10 seconds on the play (double the max of FGs, since there is most likely going to be a pass and it takes time for routes to develop)?

Archived