Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

42 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

meh...  I think 4th n 15 is too easy.     In a Flag football league I play they do it one from the 30 and you have to score if you get it you get two points and the ball back.  <--- that seems more viable IMO

I actually like that idea a lot more. Almost like college football OT but you just get 1 play from the 25 yard line or something and you have to score to get the ball back.

The only downfall I see with the 4th and 15 play is that its going to make a lot of pass interference calls and questionable calls for the referees.

Also, to those who say this is gimmicky, the onside kick is one of the most gimmicky plays in the sport. Its been around long enough that people just dont think twice about it anymore because its always been there. Just take a second and think of how stupid it actually is. At least a 1 "hail mary' type play is actually football.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I actually like that idea a lot more. Almost like college football OT but you just get 1 play from the 25 yard line or something and you have to score to get the ball back.

The only downfall I see with the 4th and 15 play is that its going to make a lot of pass interference calls and questionable calls for the referees.

Also, to those who say this is gimmicky, the onside kick is one of the most gimmicky plays in the sport. Its been around long enough that people just dont think twice about it anymore because its always been there. Just take a second and think of how stupid it actually is. At least a 1 "hail mary' type play is actually football.

I dunno if the onside kick is gimmicky. To make it fair the ball has to go 10 yards to be a live ball but after that whoever recovers, recovers. Same with a free kick... remember?

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hardly. The play is a result of football's connection to rugby, and free kicks in both sports have always been recoverable. The only arbitrary aspect of the onside kick is the 10-yard rule, which has been around forever. 

However, granting a team possession of the ball to gain 15 yds is utterly random – why 15-yards, 1 down, etc. This idea is totally made-up nonsense. 

1 hour ago, yomyyo said:

Hardly. The play is a result of football's connection to rugby, and free kicks in both sports have always been recoverable. The only arbitrary aspect of the onside kick is the 10-yard rule, which has been around forever. 

However, granting a team possession of the ball to gain 15 yds is utterly random – why 15-yards, 1 down, etc. This idea is totally made-up nonsense. 

Yeah which is why I think the 1 play from the 20 yard line to get the ball back is the best blend of both. It's equally exciting as the onside kick (if not more), it removes the 'random' variables that the onside kick has with bounces and allows the actual talent people pay to see decide the outcome.

I see a lot of talking about penalties giving it a first down too easily. I agree.

Could they do something like if there's a defensive penalty on the play, the play repeats as 4th & 15 and if there's a penalty on the 2nd try, then it's an automatic first down?

Or maybe no automatic 1st down penalties and everything is a 10 yarder which makes the play a much easier 4th & 5 but still gives the defense a chance? Obviously a defensive penalty on 4th and 5 would be an automatic 1st down.

13 hours ago, yomyyo said:

And baseball's "stats" are due to a former cricket reporter. However, those sports (like American football and rugby) diverged awhile ago and now have little in common.

Let the past go.

2 hours ago, UtahUtesFan said:

This is way too gimmicky for the NFL. At minimum it should be at like 4th and 20 (ha, ha) if we're going by the kick rate. 

Leave these science projects for the XFL & AAF to do in their games. This isn't one for the NFL. 

Keep in mind that this was originally proposed by Greg Schiano back in 2010 after seeing Eric LeGrand become paralyzed due to making a tackle on a kickoff.

It's not like it's just something that someone has pulled out of the ether for the fun of it.

With the kicking team's players unable to move until after the ball is kicked and the rule that puts 8 players within 20 yards of the ball before the kickoff itself, the onsides kick is effectively dead anyway.

15 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Glad it didn't pass. Would have made it way too easy to convert and keep possession. I can just imagine what fans would say if this had passed and the Pats abused the shiz out of it. xD

where are you seeing it didn't pass?

Archived