The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

Just now, NYRaider said:

Neither am I. And I'm not going to call Derek Carr elite because he hasn't been when you look at his body of work over the last 2.5 seasons. 

Get your eyes checked. I've watched every snap at least twice, most at least 3 times and Derek Carr has looked like an above aver QB for his entire career. He has looked NOTHING SHORT OF ELITE since Gruden has stepped into the building. 

Just now, Totty said:

He's not elite.  And NYRaider is blatantly hating the guy.  

It's somewhere in the middle fellas.  

How am I blatantly hating? I've said this has been the best year of his career and that he's an above-average quarterback that can thrive with the right team around him... I like Carr and I'm happy to have him as our quarterback moving forward, I just don't think that he's an elite player. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

How am I blatantly hating? I've said this has been the best year of his career and that he's an above-average quarterback that can thrive with the right team around him... I like Carr and I'm happy to have him as our quarterback moving forward, I just don't think that he's an elite player. 

The part where you blamed him for the 10-22 record.  We are/were a team in transition.  Not all on him at all and last year he actually had a good year.  Even in a bad situation.  Every QB needs a decent line.  He was gifted a premiere one.  The last 2.5 season weren't horrible (him specifically) but you seem to focus on it like he was God awful.  He hasn't been.  The team around him was.  Minus a few bright spots.  Add talent and he's having the best session of good career?  Also, there isn't a QB in the league that would have survived let alone thrived given last year's BS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

In a heartbeat. Watson and Jackson too. 

Flash doesn't do it for me. Mahomes makes some of the worst reads from a QB I have ever broken down. I said he would be a bust coming out, said he set the KC franchise back 8 years, so after last year I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I missed. What I discovered is no one had an easy job at QB, in the history of the NFL then Mahomes did in 2018, of his 50 TD's, I think I noted less then 7 I would credit to Mahomes making the play. He is better then I projected definitely. And won't become the next VY, RG3, Kaep like I said he would. I think he will stick around. Get hurt and fizzle out after an 8 year career. 

He is more arrogant of a passer then Favre with a fraction of the talent. He is WILDLY inaccurate. Without Andy Reid Scheming plays getting  Kelce and Tyreek wide open, or using Tyreek and Kelce as decoys to Scheme someone else WIDE open. He would have more INT then TDs.

@Jakuvious what do u think about this post

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think this has been Carr's best year of his career. He's not a top-flight, elite quarterback though. He's an above-average player that can thrive if he has the right pieces around him. 

Ok how do you define top flight and elite?

He's top 10 in every base and advanced metric. He's top 5 or top 3 in some of them. I think this year he's a borderline top 5 passer (somewhere in the 6-8 range) when you take into account context, his passing weapons, and execution. PFF DVOA EPA would all agree. 

I would take him over some aforementioned guys in this thread (Dak for example) because he has a lethal arm deep, but he needs to develop the trust in his targets and scheme to go downfield more. And he has. He has turned the corner in the past 4-5 weeks in terms of consistently hitting shots deep and his large uptick in YPA shows it.

I think in his 3rd year in Gruden's system, there's no reason to think he can't sustain or exceed his current play. Then the year after that, he would hopefully have had 2+ years with the same personnel on offense and chemistry/trust will continue to develop. Especially because he will continue to learn how to play out of structure and trust his pass catchers to learn his improvisational preferences.

I can't think of 1 "elite" qb in the NFL right now who hasn't had skill position continuity. Not saying its the end all be all, or that Carr is elite. He's not. But my overall point stands.

It's all a process. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Neither am I. And I'm not going to call Derek Carr elite because he hasn't been when you look at his body of work over the last 2.5 seasons. 

No one is asking you to call him elite. Name 1 qb who would have succeeded with last year's Raiders offense. Elite or otherwise. I'm genuinely curious.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ok how do you define top flight and elite?

He's top 10 in every base and advanced metric. He's top 5 or top 3 in some of them. I think this year he's a borderline top 5 passer (somewhere in the 6-8 range) when you take into account context, his passing weapons, and execution. PFF DVOA EPA would all agree. 

I would take him over some aforementioned guys in this thread (Dak for example) because he has a lethal arm deep, but he needs to develop the trust in his targets and scheme to go downfield more. And he has. He has turned the corner in the past 4-5 weeks in terms of consistently hitting shots deep and his large uptick in YPA shows it.

I think in his 3rd year in Gruden's system, there's no reason to think he can't sustain or exceed his current play. Then the year after that, he would hopefully have had 2+ years with the same personnel on offense and chemistry/trust will continue to develop. Especially because he will continue to learn how to play out of structure and trust his pass catchers to learn his improvisational preferences.

I can't think of 1 "elite" qb in the NFL right now who hasn't had skill position continuity. Not saying its the end all be all, or that Carr is elite. He's not. But my overall point stands.

It's all a process. 

I project Carr as a top 3 MVP Candidate the first couple years in Vegas.