The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

On 12/10/2019 at 12:08 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Actually I would feel better especially if we scored in the 3rd. Momentum is a huge factor in games. No telling how much a scoring drive in the 3rd would’ve impacted the outcome. I just expect more from a 100 million $ qb. 

I guess this where the separation lies with us then. I see you were hoping for a 3rd qtr score to stay in the game.  That's optimistic of you.  My realistic side can't stop me from saying, it wouldn't have mattered.  The Titans would have just kept trying and kept scoring against our defense.  Our current team is not winning any shootouts with just about anyone.

As for the 100 million QB, your hanging onto a belief that he's still the highest paid and should perform that way.  He's paid about average now and playing about average now, so....

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I wouldn’t say Carr is bad. Glennon is bad. Ryan Lindley is bad. Nathan Peterman is bad. Eli Manning is bad. These are guys that are complete liabilities on your team. Carr isn’t a liability to me, he’s certainly not a weapon. 

Now the larger point i was making is that yes you can get to playoffs with an “elite” QB/Offense but if you lack a defense to go with it you aren’t going to win a super bowl. That’s the goal, not playoffs but a super bowl trophy. This is why Brady has 6 rings and why HOF guys like Wilson, Brees and Rodgers all only have one. This team absolutely lacks the talent to win a Super Bowl or even reach playoffs. 

I see very little point in cutting Carr only to sign a guy for 4-6 mill less than him. It’s a lateral move at best that has minimal savings. This team would still be in the same place from a QB standpoint. Cutting Carr and relying on a rookie would almost be worse due to Gruden’s overly complex scheme. Plus passing on better prospects in the draft to reach on a QB is never a good idea and where the Raiders will be picking odds are that they’ll be out of reach for either Burrow or Tua. 

I agree with a lot of this and/or can see both sides but there is something about Carr that does not inspire confidence in me.  I do not want to call him scared because I have never had to stare down a 300 lb DT while trying to find an open man and I do not know what Gruden is telling him to do but I see him make the easy choice for himself to often when the tough option is what is best for the team.What QB throws the ball away on 4th down or just throws it at the RBs feet on 3rd because he is getting chased.  Not getting hit but chased.  He rushes throws and does not allow the play to develop and throws it away when he can extend the play.  I understand that you do not want to take unnecessary punishment but you are playing football and sometimes you have to be willing to take the shot to convert.  I said this a couple years ago and I have been waiting to see if he could get over it but he has not.  A true leader will never ask someone to do something they are not willing or have not done themselves.  Every once in a while Carr will do something and I will think to my self "there it is" but it does not happen enough.  I would sacrifice for Jacobs but not Carr if I was on the Raiders.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

WE DONT GET TURNOVERS PERIOD! our defense sucks. NAME A WORST WR UNIT....I'll even taker the Dolphins wideouts

Tyrell Williams and Zay Jones were both productive players before they got to Oakland. Our WR group isn't nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, true2form said:

I guess this where the separation lies with us then. I see you were hoping for a 3rd qtr score to stay in the game.  That's optimistic of you.  My realistic side can't stop me from saying, it wouldn't have mattered.  The Titans would have just kept trying and kept scoring against our defense.  Our current team is not winning any shootouts with just about anyone.

As for the 100 million QB, your hanging onto a belief that he's still the highest paid and should perform that way.  He's paid about average now and playing about average now, so....

Whose to say after defense “actually” made the stops to force a 3rd quarter titan punt ( which is reality) that they wouldn’t be motivated to do it again if we responded with a td. It’s called momentum . I’m being realistic cause we actually stopped them. But in reality we actually couldn’t score. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tyrell Williams and Zay Jones were both productive players before they got to Oakland. Our WR group isn't nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be. 

I truly believe his foot injury is still hindering him.  Just my opinion.  As for Zay Jones, He wasn't playing good with the Bills before he came to Oakland.  He had a good year a year or two ago, but not this year.

So I just ran some quick numbers and they may be off a little bit but I was trying to find a correlation between the O and D with scoring.  

5 or less plays by offense on previous drives our defense has given up 23 TDs and 4 FGs.  They have held the other team 30 times but 12 of these have been because of TOs, missed FGs, or end of the half.

When the O has sustained drives for 6 or more plays the defense has given up 20 TDs and 10 FGs.  They have held 41 times and 17 from TOs, missed FGs, or end of the half.

18 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I truly believe his foot injury is still hindering him.  Just my opinion.  As for Zay Jones, He wasn't playing good with the Bills before he came to Oakland.  He had a good year a year or two ago, but not this year.

He was productive playing with rookie Josh Allen but Carr can't find him. Watch the tape, Carr misses wide-open receivers constantly. It's time for the fanbase to accept that he's more Andy Dalton than he is Brett Favre. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was productive playing with rookie Josh Allen but Carr can't find him. Watch the tape, Carr misses wide-open receivers constantly. It's time for the fanbase to accept that he's more Andy Dalton than he is Brett Favre. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3059722/zay-jones

He had like 7 receptions for 80 yards over 4 games before they traded him this season.  Just saying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Blah blah blah blah   Williams is still suffering affects from a foot injury and Zay had no training camp with Carr whatsoever but  I guess you don’t think practice matters.

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Whose to say after defense “actually” made the stops to force a 3rd quarter titan punt ( which is reality) that they wouldn’t be motivated to do it again if we responded with a td. It’s called momentum . I’m being realistic cause we actually stopped them. But in reality we actually couldn’t score. 

Well scoring 3 times in the first half didn't pump them up, so I don't know why that would change. I agree that both sides of the ball can feed off of each other, but once again the "reality" is they stopped them only once all game.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

So I just ran some quick numbers and they may be off a little bit but I was trying to find a correlation between the O and D with scoring.  

5 or less plays by offense on previous drives our defense has given up 23 TDs and 4 FGs.  They have held the other team 30 times but 12 of these have been because of TOs, missed FGs, or end of the half.

When the O has sustained drives for 6 or more plays the defense has given up 20 TDs and 10 FGs.  They have held 41 times and 17 from TOs, missed FGs, or end of the half.

Based on those numbers you're looking at teams scoring on 47% vs 42% of drives. Slight improvement, but basically shows me the defense is giving up points half of the time no matter what the offense does.

55 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Blah blah blah blah   Williams is still suffering affects from a foot injury and Zay had no training camp with Carr whatsoever but  I guess you don’t think practice matters.

Yet Armari Cooper posted career number IMMEDIATELY after joining Dallas last year. 

Not comparing them as WRs, just the fact that is lame *** excuse. Carr doesn't even look at Zay who's seen open on film. It is what it is.

Edited by big_palooka

16 minutes ago, true2form said:

Well scoring 3 times in the first half didn't pump them up, so I don't know why that would change. I agree that both sides of the ball can feed off of each other, but once again the "reality" is they stopped them only once all game.

And in reality the offense got shut out in the 2nd half after defense made a stop