2 Weeks Out Mock Draft

WindyCity

3[87] RB Trayveon Williams [Texas A&M] 5'8" 206lbs, 4.51 [40], 19 reps, 33" vert, 10'1" broad

The Bears clearly have a need at RB after trading Howard and they need someone who can step in and get reps right away in the committee. The Bears traded Howard because he was not a threat in the passing game and he was not explosive. Williams answers both of those issues as well as being a RB that averaged 6.5 YPC in the SEC. In terms of explosiveness in 11/13 games Williams had an explosive run [15+ yards], he had runs of 16 [3], 21 [2], 24, 38, 46, 47, 73, and 93. His explosive play numbers are also very good 21% of his runs go for 10+ yards and 6.3% of his runs go for 20+ yards. In the passing game he had 27 catches for 278 yards, averaging over 10 YPC and added catches of 10, 13, 17, 20, 32, and 38 yards. He had reliable hands and has flashed catching the ball down the field. He runs much harder than you would expect from a 206lbs RB and his lateral agility is really impressive in getting through the line. Once through the line he is gone.

8932006.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

D2Osn6tWkAAprtf.png

[MEDIA=youtube]nhfSjgdI4Vk[/MEDIA]

4[126] TE Kahale Warring [San Diego St] 6'5" 252lbs, 4.76 [40], 19 reps, 36.5" vert, 10'2" broad

The Bears need depth at TE and they need someone who can compete with Shaheen and backup Burton. The Bears run an offense that heavily uses TEs and they have 0 reliable TEs. Burton's absence in the playoff game showed you the ripple effect of the Bears 1 threat in the passing game being out of the game. The Bears cannot allow the lack of development from Shaheen leave them short handed at the position. Warring has the size to compete with Shaheen at the Y TE spot. He also has the athletic ability to fit the U TE position if Burton is injured. I do not doubt that Nagy could game plan around a Burton injury with more time, but I do not think he should have to. If we want the offense to take a step we cannot leave a short handed position. At this point an injury to Burton would destroy the position.

Arizona+State+vs+San+Diego+State+V_Hh9_m

*The Chicago Bears trade 5[162] to the Washington Redskins for 5[173], 6[206].

5[173] CB Derrick Baity [Kentucky] 6'2" 197lbs, 4.58 [40], 10 reps, 38.5" vert, 10'7" broad

The Bears need an outside depth player at CB in 2019 and in 2020 they need someone to compete with Tolliver to start on the outside. Baity has incredible size and length and makes up for his lack of pure speed with explosive movement numbers. Lonnie Johnson has gotten the pre-draft attention of the Kentucky DBs, but many analyst will tell you that Baity was the better coverage. Baity has 6 career interceptions and 25 passes defensed. Baity is a willing tackler and is a physical player on the outside, which is key in the Bears defense.

636460188047768275-nas-vandykentucky-027

6[206] S Saquan Hamilton [Rutgers] 6'1" 206lbs, 4.48 [40], 14 reps, 10'5" broad

The Bears have 1 safety under contract beyond 2019, and that is Eddie Jackson who will require an enormous contract. The Bears need to add to the position and assume that HHCD will leave for more money in 2020. By adding Hamilton they have a year to develop someone to fit in as the starter at SS or a backup and special teamer, because they will need both. Hamilton has good size, physical tools, and last year he had 3 interceptions.

RVLN2HWROJB5RJAHXUACM7Z36A.jpeg

7[222] OG Lamont Galliard [Georgia] 6'3" 305lbs, 33.5" arms

The Bears need to do 2 things on the OL, they need to ensure that they have quality depth for the 2019 season, which I think they have, and they need to add someone to develop to compete at RG in 2020. The Bears were connected to Galliard through the all star game process and he has the athletic ability and versatility that the Bears appear to value on the OL. He gets a year to develop with one of the best OL coaches in the game and come in and compete with Coward at RG in 2020. The major knock on Galliard is that he needs to get bigger and stronger and he has a similar physical profile to James Daniels and while he is not as talented as Daniels he can be put on a similar developmental track.

8151107.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

7[238] K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

I know the Bears could wait to UDFA to add a kicker, but my concern is that opens you up to 32 other teams bidding on and recruiting your guy. Gay is the guy I think the Bears should target. He has a big leg, has been accurate in his career, and has kicked in the weather in Utah. He was 84% last season on his FG attempts, with a long of 55. he was 3/5 on 50+ yard FG attempts and 7/10 on 40+ yard attempts and missed 0 kicks from inside of 40 yards. Gay can come in and compete with Redford Jones, the winner is the kicker and the loser goes to the PR squad in case the winner struggles and needs to be replaced.

7935796.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel
RB: Williams, Davis, Cohen, Nall
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Patterson, Hall
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Warring, Braunecker
LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniel
C: Whitehair, Larsen
RG: Long, Galliard
RT: Massie, Coward

RE: RRH, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Nichols
LE: Hicks, Williams
OLB: Floyd, Lynch, Fitts
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Kwitkowski
OLB: Mack, Irving
CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Baity, Tolliver, McManis
FS: Jackson, DHC/Hamilton
SS: HHCD, Bush

K: Gay/Jones
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

Long time visitor on the forum, and actually used to have an account on the old site (dabears32). Always enjoy reading your stuff Windy.

I like this a lot but I wonder if they might prioritize DB over TE - maybe a Ugo Amadi or Corey Ballentine in the 4th. No complaints about Warring as a prospect though. 

As for Williams, I just posted in another thread wondering if he is the right run-scheme fit as he seems to be more of a pro-style outside guy at least at A&M.

Not poo pooing.  Don't mistake my tone as negative.  I like the effort you guys put into mocks, FAs, etc.  

Ugh.  I also think I forgot to put Trayveon Williams in my 3rd round poll.   I meant to.

I think CB and OL are good bets somewhere in draft.  You can never have enough of those guys.  One of BPA available situations.  You have a high potential CB or OL you pretty much take them if they are staring you in the face whatever your previous plan was.  

Not sure if any rookie is going to be first in at RB in 2019 even though that is really common in NFL.  I think Davis is good enough to hold any of these guys off next season for bulk of reps.  I think a lot of people aren't giving Davis enough credit for how good he is because he was a back up last year and prior to last year he didn't do much.  But he put good football on tape last year, Guy in front of him was just a bit better.  He has gotten better each year in the league.  Not saying wow, Mike Davis.  But he isn't a liability in any sense and he is the veteran of the group.  

Not sure Nall is going to make the team.  But I honestly don't know much about him.  

I'm not convinced Warring is going to be next level stud or even a good player, kind of a project to be honest, TEs are really hard to predict even when they look perfect, but I think his potential and upside is such that there is little chance he makes it to 4th round.  If you want him you have to take him in 3rd.  If we get him in 4th I will be really happy and eat crow.  

My personal draft at this point with limited scouting would probably target Warring in 3rd and Justice Hill in 4th or 5th.  Bears have shown no interest in either (via meetings or visits, but Pace likes to hide so who knows).  

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would be disappointed with Williams in round 3...just don't have that high a grade on him...after that I would be pretty happy.

I think the profile will have him higher for the Bears. He has a lot of explosive plays and is a good pass blocker to boot.

I think he will be the best we can expect at 87 and it is a long way to 126. I am not sure it is worth the risk to wait.

I fully expect these guys to be gone

Jacobs

Sanders

Henderson

Harris

Probably Montgomery 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the profile will have him higher for the Bears. He has a lot of explosive plays and is a good pass blocker to boot.

I think he will be the best we can expect at 87 and it is a long way to 126. I am not sure it is worth the risk to wait.

I fully expect these guys to be gone

Jacobs

Sanders

Henderson

Harris

Probably Montgomery 

My concern with Williams is a lot of his yards came against bad defences...against Clemson & Alabama he was basically all but shut down and that's the type of talent he will face in the pros...

If all those RBs are gone then we shouldn't be drafting a RB in round 3.

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would be disappointed with Williams in round 3...just don't have that high a grade on him...after that I would be pretty happy.

Gotta agree with this, though I'm much lower most of the RB prospects right now...

Henderson is the only one I've got with a (late)1st round grade right now, but I'm not looking to move up for him until halfway through the second.

Jacobs is the ONLY 2nd rounder I see. I think he's going to get over drafted.

Miles Sanders is between a 3rd and a 2nd to me... His ceiling is Matt Forte, but his ball security issues scare me out of a 2nd round grade

Weber right now is in my next tier with Treyveon Williams, well below the above 3... and I think this is the tier where Davis now the main guy in the backfield, and I'm not frankly all that comfortable with him being "the guy"

I don't have Montgomery or Singletary on my board at all. I don't think either have the speed or physicality to translate.

Trayveon Williams has intriguing production but seems like more of a solid athlete. I don't know that he'd be a 3rd round prospect in many drafts but he's one of the better RB prospects in this class IMO.

I agree with the above - once you get past the first 2-3 guys, Davis is your main guy. At that point I'd open up the pick and consider BPA.

This team is going to lose talent quickly once everyone starts getting paid. It's fine to want to fill needs, but what's more important is maintaining a steady source of cheap impact players. Short-sightedness and selling out for 1 year is how you end up on the NFL treadmill with a highly-paid QB who can't win because he doesn't have enough surrounding talent.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Like the first two picks a lot although I thought we might have to reverse it taking Warring in three.

The rest I'm too unfamiliar with but where did we get a 6th?  Isn't ours going to Oakland along with our first?

he makes a trade with washington for our 5th, moving back in the 5th and picking up a 6th

Archived