• Johnathan Abram, S
    • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
    • Gerald Willis, DT
    • Dawson Knox, TE
    • Isaiah Johnson, CB
    • Zach Allen, DE
    • Joejuan Williams, CB

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm trying to think of a single person that didn't love the Claiborne pick at the time. Even with the trade up. Cox would have been a terrific get no doubt, but Claiborne was too at that time. And, Dallas secondary as I recall was sorely deprived of talent. 

I wasn’t a fan of giving up 14 and 45 for one guy. Given that we’d already done that, sure, there was no way of knowing that Cox would have a better career than Mo, we made “the right pick” at 6 in that sense- but it sucks to think we could’ve given up a little less in a different trade and gotten a dramatically better player who instead terrorizes our OL twice a year.

And we had Carr, Scandrick, and Jenkins at CB that year outside of Mo. I know, I know, Mike Jenkins, lol, but I don’t feel like we had to force the issue to the degree that we did. Our OL and Front 7 depth did us in the next several years

none of this is to remotely suggest we’re finding the next Fletcher Cox at 58 this year, I would doubt that greatly. That said, I think Tillery’s the one guy I can get on board with dealing 58 and 90 for

22 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

That said, I think Tillery’s the one guy I can get on board with dealing 58 and 90 for

Connor Williams and Michael Gallup combined for 1,427 snaps in 2018.

Our leading DT got 583 snaps.

I’m not saying you can’t do it, but the guy better be damn special. 2nd and 3rd round picks are so valuable given the talent/contract ratio. You could easily be in the playoffs this year with #58 and #90 in your starting lineup if you pick wisely. It’s tough, but not impossible, for me to give up both of them for 1 player.

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Agreed, that no one position is a silver bullet. But look at the last team in the NFC easy to win a SB.

Who would you say is their silver bullet on defense? Who is the 1 guy you cannot allow to get going. 

Fletcher Cox.

When they got him, their defense got teeth.

I doubt you could say the same for their S.

So you can't say that about Malcolm Jenkins? Smh.

Hisleadership, and consistent presence on the Eagles helped take that defense to another level. 

29 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Connor Williams and Michael Gallup combined for 1,427 snaps in 2018.

Our leading DT got 583 snaps.

I’m not saying you can’t do it, but the guy better be damn special. 2nd and 3rd round picks are so valuable given the talent/contract ratio. You could easily be in the playoffs this year with #58 and #90 in your starting lineup if you pick wisely. It’s tough, but not impossible, for me to give up both of them for 1 player.

Right, anyone we give up both of our Day 2 picks for has to be special, a la D-Law- maybe not THAT great but you get the idea. I think Tillery has Chris Jones type potential (lame to compare guys who went to the same school but still) so he’s the one guy I would be okay with. No chance I’m giving up both of those picks for any of these safeties

19 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Right, anyone we give up both of our Day 2 picks for has to be special, a la D-Law- maybe not THAT great but you get the idea. I think Tillery has Chris Jones type potential (lame to compare guys who went to the same school but still) so he’s the one guy I would be okay with. No chance I’m giving up both of those picks for any of these safeties

Agreed. Even still, it took a Herculean effort from D-Law in the final year of his rookie contract to make that trade worth it.

I haven’t done enough studying on Tillery, so I can’t say for sure. But if he fell to the 30s, I’d probably be more inclined to just offer every team picking my 4th rounder until I strike a deal or he gets drafted. 

4 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Agreed. Even still, it took a Herculean effort from D-Law in the final year of his rookie contract to make that trade worth it.

I haven’t done enough studying on Tillery, so I can’t say for sure. But if he fell to the 30s, I’d probably be more inclined to just offer every team picking my 4th rounder until I strike a deal or he gets drafted. 

I’m not even saying I’d do the move, just that I would be alright with it if we did it. Giving up either of our fourths only gets is only get us up to 54-55 or so per the Jimmy Johnson TVC- even if teams are more inclined to trade down these days I still don’t think you can get much higher than that with just 128 or 136. That might actually be more realistic if we covet someone like Thornhill and we worry about him getting past Philly

2 hours ago, D82 said:

One of our few misses since McClay, Garrett and Stephen became more of a presence in the front office...and of course, it's a big one.

Mo was such a bust because he could never stay healthy to get the work in. When he was healthy he was fine. Hard to knock the front office too much for a dude who is injured. I dont remember him having health issues in college.

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Mo was such a bust because he could never stay healthy to get the work in. When he was healthy he was fine. Hard to knock the front office too much for a dude who is injured. I dont remember him having health issues in college.

Scheme change from Ryan’s 34 to RM’s didn’t do him any favors either. Playing under Ryan period, probably didn’t help him

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

So you can't say that about Malcolm Jenkins? Smh.

Hisleadership, and consistent presence on the Eagles helped take that defense to another level. 

No, no, no, not even close. Cox is a beast and offenses Have to account for him.

Jenkins is a solid player. But not to the effect Cox has.

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Cox went 12th overall. Six picks after Claiborne.

This! A hundred flocking times this! This is the mindset that DB is a safer bet than DL. 

Granted, 2 different positions, skill level of players varies, but the safer bet is on DL, in my opinion.

Even if your DB is awesome, without pressure up front, he wont hold up.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

This! A hundred flocking times this! This is the mindset that DB is a safer bet than DL. 

Granted, 2 different positions, skill level of players varies, but the safer bet is on DL, in my opinion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

dl bust rates are one of the highest.

10 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm trying to think of a single person that didn't love the Claiborne pick at the time. Even with the trade up. Cox would have been a terrific get no doubt, but Claiborne was too at that time. And, Dallas secondary as I recall was sorely deprived of talent. 

Me!!! I hate CBs in rd 1 let alone top 10. Trading up for one left me screaming...

3 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

we have shared this opinion throughout the years, with at least one other member who I can't remember.

Archived