Seahawks extend Russell Wilson QB with a new Contract

49erurtaza

57 minutes ago, theJ said:

Just waiting for that QB bubble to pop.

The first coach that can figure out how to consistently win games without employing a $30-40M QB is going to wreck the NFL.

BB figured out the strategy is to have a QB who can take pay cuts because his wife makes $50MM/year selling bras.

If NFL teams were smart, they'd try to pitch advertiser connectivity to players, and then get them to take pay cuts with salary cap money. If QBs were making $40MM/year pushing State Farm/MeUndies/SquareSpace, that'd be more palatable, but the NFL has done a good job making sure all of the advertising dollars go through the league.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Look at this list of QB's.... And Russell Wilson is the one making too much money?  Jimmy Garoppolo has proven damn near nothing in this league.  Derek Carr isn't even an average QB.  Kirk Cousins is meh.  Matthew Stafford... lol.  None of those guys is even in the same league as Wilson as a player.

I mean, come on man.  Plus, if you look at the trend - in 2-3 years, Wilson's deal will be outdone by a number of other QB's.

BTW, I'm not saying you're the one I'm talking to.  Just quoting your post.

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Guess all eyes will be on the Ravens as they use an athlete at the position.

They'll be an interesting case study.  And the question is two fold: 

1. Can someone without traditional QB skills play the position at a high enough level for the team to have success
  2. Is that skill unique to Lamar, or can other athlete's play the position?  Because it's unique to Lamar, then it doesn't entirely fit the concept.

Rats. For a second there I was hoping he might expand his horizons and play for a team I found even marginally sympathetic or interesting, but I should've known that was too much to ask of him. :| And, same thing I said about Cousins: he doesn't need that much money. He doesn't need half that much money. I could live pretty comfortably for the rest of my life on the rookie deals a lot of these athletes get.

I wonder if we're ever going to hit a breaking point with these franchise QBs constantly demanding more. Does it ever cross their minds that every dollar they demand from the owner/s is one that can't be spent on building the rest of the team around them? I hate to bring up Mr. Sixth Infinity Stone in this thread, but he certainly has demonstrated a keen awareness of that fact.

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

Rats. For a second there I was hoping he might expand his horizons and play for a team I found even marginally sympathetic or interesting, but I should've known that was too much to ask of him. :| And, same thing I said about Cousins: he doesn't need that much money. He doesn't need half that much money. I could live pretty comfortably for the rest of my life on the rookie deals a lot of these athletes get.

I guess he technically doesn't need that much money, but why should he not get all the money he can?  Look at what he does for a living.  Not only is it an extremely dangerous sport, but he'll retire at like 35 or 36.  And when he retires, there's no guarantee he'll have any way to generate any real cash flow.

Nobody else on earth is asked to take less money, so why should athletes or entertainers?

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

They'll be an interesting case study.  And the question is two fold: 

1. Can someone without traditional QB skills play the position at a high enough level for the team to have success
  2. Is that skill unique to Lamar, or can other athlete's play the position?  Because it's unique to Lamar, then it doesn't entirely fit the concept.

A lot more college/high school teams play the way Lamar plays than play the way Tom Brady/Peyton Manning play.

You could do it if you didn't care if they got hurt and paid them less as a result.  

Just now, showtime said:

I guess he technically doesn't need that much money, but why should he not get all the money he can?  Look at what he does for a living.  Not only is it an extremely dangerous sport, but he'll retire at like 35 or 36.  And when he retires, there's no guarantee he'll have any way to generate any real cash flow.

Nobody else on earth is asked to take less money, so why should athletes or entertainers?

You know who really could use that extra money? Paul Allen's trust. He died with a paltry $20B that is just sitting around as his heirs figure out how to most effectively duck taxes on it.

Thoughts and prayers to those poor saps. Don't know how they'll manage.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Definitely. The league makes so much money, and I'd rather it go to the guys laying their bodies on the line and actually producing something rather than the owners.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Just waiting for that QB bubble to pop.

The first coach that can figure out how to consistently win games without employing a $30-40M QB is going to wreck the NFL.

I'm going disagree that we're in a bubble at all. Even the largest contract taking up 35/188M is 18.5% of the cap and the cap will likely rise at a fast enough rate that it is under 15% by mid-contract. Not a stretch to say that a good QBs impact is at that share relative to the rest of the team. Plus cap doesn't really get you great players as most of a team's best players will be on a cheap rookie deals and/or kept from the free market with franchise tags. In free agency there really aren't better things to do with the money.

TLDR: QBs are underpaid relative to free market value

In a true open market where everyone is suddenly a free agent, First call: I make Patrick Mahommes an offer for 50% of my total salary cap.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

Second paragraph.

Archived