Playstation 5

showtime

3 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Load times. 

HDDs fail as much as SSDs.

No they don't HDD's are commonly known to outlast SSD's.

I don't deny SSD's offer better performance. I use a Crucial 500GB SSD as my main drive but still use HDD for my media's because of reliability.

Edited by Calvert28

I'm so torn. Of course I would want to get this. I've been on the playstation bandwagon since the first. But man, I just never play my ps4 anymore. I seriously have about 15 games I haven't even opened. I'm still working my way through FFXV and I'm not even close to being finished. I just play handheld stuff so much more now - easier when I'm laying in bed and the gf is just watching television or something. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm so torn. Of course I would want to get this. I've been on the playstation bandwagon since the first. But man, I just never play my ps4 anymore. I seriously have about 15 games I haven't even opened. I'm still working my way through FFXV and I'm not even close to being finished. I just play handheld stuff so much more now - easier when I'm laying in bed and the gf is just watching television or something. 

No time for bedtime cardio?

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

No they don't HDD's are commonly known to outlast SSD's.

I don't deny SSD's offer better performance. I use a Crucial 500GB SSD as my main drive but still use HDD for my media's because of reliability.

I mean long term HDDs are better but 3-5 years when you'd generally upgrade anyway (like with a console) SSD's are better.

Plus, oh....your pet knocked over your console and your HDD is jank? RIP.

https://therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

But eh it's a debate that doesn't really have a winner. You could probably hook up an external HD to your PS5 and play games off of it like with your PS4 now anyway. 

24 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I mean long term HDDs are better but 3-5 years when you'd generally upgrade anyway (like with a console) SSD's are better.

Plus, oh....your pet knocked over your console and your HDD is jank? RIP.

https://therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

But eh it's a debate that doesn't really have a winner. You could probably hook up an external HD to your PS5 and play games off of it like with your PS4 now anyway. 

Touche. But then again games are starting to get to be 50 to 100 GB per and with some of the very best SSD's usually going up to only 1TB before the prices trump the very system itself. What are they banking on? That 5G will be enough of a thing that it will make DLing games a quick process where they can constantly delete games they don't play? At my brothers house and he lets the kids buy games all the time for their birthdays and on special occasions and between 5 kids they have around 30 games bought and paid for, not to mention all the FTP games they are starting to put on there to compete with Android and iOS. Plus the general going HDD space on a PS4 is like 500GB's which just wont be enough for next generation games if they are hoping that kind of SSD will do the trick for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Touche. But then again games are starting to get to be 50 to 100 GB per and with some of the very best SSD's usually going up to only 1TB before the prices trump the very system itself. What are they banking on? That 5G will be enough of a thing that it will make DLing games a quick process where they can constantly delete games they don't play? At my brothers house and he lets the kids buy games all the time for their birthdays and on special occasions and between 5 kids they have around 30 games bought and paid for, not to mention all the FTP games they are starting to put on there to compete with Android and iOS. Plus the general going HDD space on a PS4 is like 500GB's which just wont be enough for next generation games if they are hoping that kind of SSD will do the trick for it.

5G is like 3-5 years away from even being stable/get enough coverage to matter in terms of download, even then lol at downloading 50+ GB games on 5G. 

Likely Sony has plans for better compression/storage optimization for SSDs, or they'll just keep the external HDD option like they did for PS4. Honestly external storage is necesary no matter what your gaming system is, from switch (Maybe they'll get a whopping 64 GBs next gen) to even PC you need a backup anyway. 

A few years ago I bought MLB The Show 14 (it was 2 years old at the time) on PSN.  I deleted it temporarily and went back to download it a month later, and it was no longer on PSN.

That's why I'm really not a fan of cloud ONLY gaming.  There are more ways to scam consumers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

A few years ago I bought MLB The Show 14 (it was 2 years old at the time) on PSN.  I deleted it temporarily and went back to download it a month later, and it was no longer on PSN.

That's why I'm really not a fan of cloud ONLY gaming.  There are more ways to scam consumers.

This is why I stick to PC. Less likely to delete the games, and even if they do. You have full rights to DL it elsewhere IMO.

Exciting times since we're officially on the road to Next-Gen. What I'm looking for...

- Better load times with the SSDs and a large one since these games are like 900gigs with patches (We get the talking from Cerny, now I wanna see it in-house when I get it)

- Locked FPS where everything is 60 and above. I don't wanna see no game at 30

- Better GUI (The dashboard on PS4 was a chore, especially when a game is running and you wanted to check the dashboard for something. Or XMB for you old hipsters, lol)

- A better controller. (2nd gen DS4 was good, so build on that)

After that, Next-Gen should have a bright future. I don't care about it being 8K because I'm not spending 10 bands on a got dam TV! That's all the way dead. 4K isn't even the standard in all homes yet either. Happy that its trying to be "future proof" I guess.

I'm normally not too excited about new consoles (outside of Nintendo releases), but the moment I read "backwards compatible with PS4 and SSD" I was all in. Two of the simpler things I have wanted with Playstation for some time. If they can manage to bring this to us for under $500, I'll be there day 1.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you don't game that much, just hold off for a sale sometime in probably 2021.  You might consider upgrading if you can trade your PS4 towards a PS5 and want a UHD 4K Blu-Ray player (if you don't already have one).

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yea, but that's a Sony problem.  Xbox doesn't do that.  If Xbox did that, then I wouldn't buy anything digital either.

This game from the original Xbox is still playable on the Xbox One without any issues.

xbox_star_wars_battlefront-110214.jpg

3 hours ago, showtime said:

If you don't game that much, just hold off for a sale sometime in probably 2021.  You might consider upgrading if you can trade your PS4 towards a PS5 and want a UHD 4K Blu-Ray player (if you don't already have one).

You're assuming the PS5 will have a 4k Blu-ray player built in... Sony elected not to add one to the PS4 pro to keep the price down... They could do it again for the PS5... Especially since switching to a SSD, especially if it has anything remotely close to a decent capacity to it, will drive the price up considerably.

Edited by rob_shadows

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Yea, but that's a Sony problem.  Xbox doesn't do that.  If Xbox did that, then I wouldn't buy anything digital either.

This game from the original Xbox is still playable on the Xbox One without any issues.

xbox_star_wars_battlefront-110214.jpg

What about MVC2? I heard that was pulled from all digital stores. I wonder if you can download it if you already bought.