2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d still spend a first round pick on a CB even if DT may be a slightly bigger need. DT seems like such a hit or miss position, I’d rather take my chances on a talented player a bit later on (say no later than round 2).

Or can we just get free agent Chris Jones from KC?

I would love to get Chris Jones, but I'm not sure there's any way they could afford him.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would love to get Chris Jones, but I'm not sure there's any way they could afford him.  

Basically don’t pay Waynes and cut Rhodes. Put that money towards Jones. Sign Alexander, Harris and Griffen, cut Kline and get someone to take a paycut (Reiff or Joseph). I don’t know if the money works but I figure they need to spend big on two players (most assume Waynes and Griffen).

MN would be left with Hughes, Hill and Alexander at CB with a need for one more in the draft who can play.

Edited by vikingsrule

Is there any trade market at all for Rhodes?  I mean, we could trade him for a mid-to-late round conditional pick to a team with a ton of cap space, whose defensive backfield is in the bottom third of the League, possibly?  Let Hughes and Hill battle it out for LCB and re-sign Waynes, draft an early-to-mid round replacement.

47 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It was obvious Rhodes should be replaced coming into this year. I'm not surprised by this at all. I'm much more disappointed in the other CBs, none of whom are playing better than lasts year, except maybe Alexander. 

Waynes has been okay but it’s difficult to say he’s earned a second contract at the expected rate. Waynes is better than Rhodes so I’d get why they’d want to pay Waynes close to “Barr” money, I just don’t think he’s worth it. 

Would have liked to have seen more from Hughes by now but Zimmer’s unwillingness to start Hughes over Rhodes inhibits that, though it is telling. Either Zimmer just isnt a good head coach and can’t make this type of move mid year or Hughes simply isn’t where he needs to be. 

Hill is a lost cause for this season. He’s behind due to suspension.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Well, that'll add a challenge, would be nice if either of the youngest CB's were healthy.

That is unfortunate...maybe he'll mix it up by throwing Harris or Smith out at slot now too, since Sendejo doing it again wouldn't be much of a surprise.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The injury that landed Minnesota Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes on injured reserve ahead of the start of the postseason was a fractured bone in his neck, according to Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer didn’t comment on the specifics of Hughes’ injury at the end of the season but said he’s expected to be OK.

“He should be good to go. I mean, it will heal,” Zimmer said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/15/report-vikings-cornerback-mike-hughes-sustained-fractured-vertebra-in-neck/

paging Dr. @Krauser for a consult...

• Like 1

When a team signs a big-name free agent or gives an extension to one of their home-grown stars, it’s easy to look past the potential ramifications of that deal down the line. Players regress, cap situations tighten, and once-solid deals start to be cast in a negative light. That’s where these 10 teams find themselves heading into 2020 – having to make decisions on veteran players who haven’t lived up to their contracts. The cap space that their teams stand to gain should these players be released paired with their recent performance makes each of them a prime candidate to be a cap casualty leading up to the 2020 season.

XAVIER RHODES, CB, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

2020 cap savings: $8.1 million

It’s not too often that cutting a Pro Bowl cornerback is recommended, but Rhodes getting into the Pro Bowl this season is a minor miracle — or a joke, depending on how you choose to look at it. 

https://www.pff.com/news/10-big-name-cut-candidates-this-offseason

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Perhaps we can update thread title to 2020 Defensive Backfield or something like that?

Current roster:

CBs: Mike Hughes, Holton Hill, Kris Boyd, Jeff Gladney, Cameron Dantzler, Harrison Hand, Nevelle Clark, Mark Fields, Nate Meadors, Marcus Sayles, and Kemon Hall.

S: Harrison Smith, Anthony Harris, Josh Mettulus, Brian Cole II, and Myles Dorn.

How do we see things shaking out? Who are the PS candidates in your opinion. Does any one see a veteran being signed in the CB group or will Zimmer roll with the young guns?