2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

Gute's presser notes:

Savage: premier athlete, impact player. close gap from centerfield to hash. fit what they are trying to do

emphasized closing gaps, taking ball away. “all-around, able to do a lot of things. played some nickel as well”

Gary’s shoulder:
felt comfortable long-term. re: surgery “we’ll see how it goes long-term. we don’t anticipate anything initially”

offense vs defense: have to stay true to bpa. one of the best defensive drafts in a long time

had tiers of value. after done picking at 12, still very interested in Sav. started making calls very quickly. Thought this was a very valuable draft at the top and wanted to get those picks in.

Gary’s production: “production is just the way you look at it. if you look at the different kinds of stats, he really affected the game. since feb, we were really locked in on him”

people complaining about Gary’s work ethic haven’t done homework

offers at 12 weren’t enticing enough to move back.

Gary is very versatile, can play a number of positions. speed off edge and able to kick inside.

days of sitting in one spot and rushing passer are over. you have to rush from everywhere.

“it’s a third down league, and we need to affect the passer on 3rd down”

on not moving up at 12: it’s about who’s in front of you and who might be in front of you

relationship w/ Schneider helps, but trade was based on place of picks and not on relationship.

been making phone calls all week probing trade interest.

thought he was a difference maker, did homework and didn’t think Sav would make it to 30

range on back end, ability to play nickel, rare ability to take away ball. hesitated to make a comparison, but kind of insinuated a comparison with past packers safeties

“no doubt” that large edges are a body type that GB is looking for, had to get bigger on the front.

Sav’s height: height standard goes back a long way. safety has always been more flexible than CB. didn’t break any standards

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I also didn't think Savage would last to 12, when they traded up for 21, since time only goes in one direction.

Now that's where you're wrong. Time is a fixed feature of a 4-D time-space manifold and  the flow of time is an illusion of human psychology

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I still think we go Gary

Maybe.

I'd really forgotten about Gary. Everybody seemed down on him for one reason or another and his status dropped in all the mock drafts. The pick surprised me actually - but hope he plays like the beast in his highlight films. I never watched a full game.

Archived