2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Like it or not, the thoughts on him are pretty universal by most everyone.

Yes they are, but what seems to be the most subjective of these opinions is “production”.  Clearly the true value of production a difference of opinion.  The surgery issue also seems to have been overblown...or has it?

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL What a joke. AZ GM on NFL Network talking up how much he likes Rosen and how its his job to insure positional depth. 

Dude is going to be out of a job soon. Maybe as soon as the post draft wrap up work is done. I wouldn’t be surprised 

Just now, Isherwood said:

Dude is going to be out of a job soon. Maybe as soon as the post draft wrap up work is done. I wouldn’t be surprised 

Seriously. Barring an injury somewhere down the line, didnt his market just disappear? Did some QB needy team fail to come up with one in this draft?

The NY Post slamming the NYGs selection of QB Daniel Jones:

So Dave Gettleman finally fell in love with a quarterback.

But what angry Giants fans have every right to ask is this:

Daniel Jones with the sixth bleeping pick?

Cue the John McEnroe tape: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!

How do you neglect your depleted defense by passing on a gifted pass rusher such as Kentucky’s Josh Allen with the sixth pick of Thursday night’s NFL draft?

Ryan Wood:

I’m not saying tonight was a positive or negative.
I’m saying we have no clue right now.

You can look at it either way.
Positive: Packers got 2 great athletes with big upside.
Negative: Savage is undersized, Gary under produced and has a shoulder thing.
Verdict: we’ll see.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood:

I’m not saying tonight was a positive or negative.
I’m saying we have no clue right now.

You can look at it either way.
Positive: Packers got 2 great athletes with big upside.
Negative: Savage is undersized, Gary under produced and has a shoulder thing.
Verdict: we’ll see.

is ryan wood some guy from everyone's high school that can name about 9 packers today?

The biggest positives I take away now seeing how Gutey used his first two picks this year and all of 2018's picks:

#1 We've clearly entered the age of analytics. We're looking for athletes and clearly the Combine numbers mean more than under Ted.

#2 We're drafting for our DC and not drafting football players we like and hoping our DC can use them. Pettine clearly didn't want an EDGE like Burns or he'd be a Packer. He wanted the Smith's, he wanted Gary. He likes the size, the power and the explosion over the agility and bend. There's no longer a disconnect between the FO and the coaching staff. These guys are getting the players they want. 

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Because GB doesn't view these safeties all as players they want to acquire. They're not like us, where we rank them and see a lot of them left at around the same grade. They wanted Savage, and Savage alone. He was their guy. They were afraid of the Colts and maybe a couple other teams, so they went and got him. There was no "settling" for CGJ, because maybe they didn't see CGJ as a fit. 

I don't have any inside info, but we as fans need to realize that NFL teams boards are A LOT smaller than ours. I'll bet a bunch of those safeties were rated significantly lower in GB's eyes. They wanted Savage. 

I get that. I'm not upset with the pick. Its clear that the Packers staff is convinced Savage needed to be a Packer by the end of the day.

I'm just saying that there is a long list of really talented Safeties that the most respected evaluators varied in their top prospects and none of them stamped one of the group as a clear favorite.. actually, I think Draftek had Thornhill with a top 20 grade in their final Big Board.

Look its obvious the Packers had a much higher grade on Savage. And apparently I must have misrepresented my understanding of Football and the nuances that vary from system to system. While I appreciate that you're eager to offer your opinion, but I respectfully don't agree that the evaluations by scouting departments and the people hired by magazines, websites, etc who were once employed by NFL Scouting Depts is not going to be as pronounced as you describe. Understanding that teams will target system specific skill sets, the skill sets between the 8 Safeties graded 1-2round were not that pronounced.

Now that I see that they were able to retain their 2nd and 3rd round picks makes me like the move more than when I feared we lost a 2nd/3rd. Its still a move that doesn't make a ton of sense because Savage and Gardner-Johnson are actually very similar in that they both excel in the slot, have the versatility and range to play both FS and SS and both check all boxes with very few weaknesses.

Still, I trust my initial reaction and honestly would have been fine with Gardner-Johnson at 30, or 42.  But I appreciate that you believe these scouts to be of the magic variety but I would caution putting that kind of blind faith into a staff that gave away a Max Scharping OT (4th) and Dru Samia OG (4th) and a 6'2 FS who can also cover the slot in Mike Bell from Fresno State. My scenario should also include AJ Brown WR Miss.

Can we both agree that my concern is not only valid, but that neither of us can say what that xfactor is that GB saw... most of that stuff is very well communicated from coast to coast by now.

Look, my initial reaction was not that crazy of a thought given that the accepted opinions that were floating around suggested that there wasnt a clear #1 Safety Prospect and that Safety was a very deep position, maybe the deepest. 10/10 if I hear a specific position being described like that, I dont expect the Green Bay Packers to view that scenario and then jump 9 places when there wasnt a clear #1. Again, apparently there was. I like the pick but I dont believe my initial reaction should be dismissed so quickly, it's not a move that can be explained when the bigger picture is revealed.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I know it’s meaningless, but not everyone hated what Gb did.

Gary was always going to be the prospect everyone gave a good grade to, but expects to fail.  Like Lance Zierlein gave Gary a huge grade on NFL.com (6.31, 7th highest grade in the class).  But it's an easy pick to hate because you can point at things like the box score and the wonderlic.

4 minutes ago, Bang! said:

I get that. I'm not upset with the pick. Its clear that the Packers staff is convinced Savage needed to be a Packer by the end of the day.

I'm just saying that there is a long list of really talented Safeties that the most respected evaluators varied in their top prospects and none of them stamped one of the group as a clear favorite.. actually, I think Draftek had Thornhill with a top 20 grade in their final Big Board.

Look its obvious the Packers had a much higher grade on Savage. And apparently I must have misrepresented my understanding of Football and the nuances that vary from system to system. While I appreciate that you're eager to offer your opinion, but I respectfully don't agree that the evaluations by scouting departments and the people hired by magazines, websites, etc who were once employed by NFL Scouting Depts is not going to be as pronounced as you describe. Understanding that teams will target system specific skill sets, the skill sets between the 8 Safeties graded 1-2round were not that pronounced.

Now that I see that they were able to retain their 2nd and 3rd round picks makes me like the move more than when I feared we lost a 2nd/3rd. Its still a move that doesn't make a ton of sense because Savage and Gardner-Johnson are actually very similar in that they both excel in the slot, have the versatility and range to play both FS and SS and both check all boxes with very few weaknesses.

Still, I trust my initial reaction and honestly would have been fine with Gardner-Johnson at 30, or 42.  But I appreciate that you believe these scouts to be of the magic variety but I would caution putting that kind of blind faith into a staff that gave away a Max Scharping OT (4th) and Dru Samia OG (4th) and a 6'2 FS who can also cover the slot in Mike Bell from Fresno State. My scenario should also include AJ Brown WR Miss.

Can we both agree that my concern is not only valid, but that neither of us can say what that xfactor is that GB saw... most of that stuff is very well communicated from coast to coast by now.

Look, my initial reaction was not that crazy of a thought given that the accepted opinions that were floating around suggested that there wasnt a clear #1 Safety Prospect and that Safety was a very deep position, maybe the deepest. 10/10 if I hear a specific position being described like that, I dont expect the Green Bay Packers to view that scenario and then jump 9 places when there wasnt a clear #1. Again, apparently there was. I like the pick but I dont believe my initial reaction is due to

Gute himself called the safety position "not very deep" in his presser after Rd 1. While I disagree with him from my personal evaluations, if you think a position group is not very deep and you feel Savage is a "true difference maker" as he called him, you make that move 10/10. The fact we kept all our day 2 capital is just a cherry in top. I was bummed watching the pick because I figured it was 30 and 44 for 21 and some mid rounder. What a deal, can always recoup midrounders.

Archived