2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gute himself called the safety position "not very deep" in his presser after Rd 1. While I disagree with him from my personal evaluations, if you think a position group is not very deep and you feel Savage is a "true difference maker" as he called him, you make that move 10/10. The fact we kept all our day 2 capital is just a cherry in top. I was bummed watching the pick because I figured it was 30 and 44 for 21 and some mid rounder. What a deal, can always recoup midrounders.

I didn't know that Gute felt that Safety wasn't as deep as many others did. Then the move makes total sense... Thats what I was looking for because my understanding was again, a deep class without a clear #1.

I love the scouting reports I have read so far. Hes the only guy I can remember being referred to as a 4-down player as well as having a terrific football character.

I tend to question how things like this come together and play out. Ive never been a fan of 'trusting an unproven GM'.. or a proven one, for that matter. Ted proved that he did not deserve the trust that was placed in him.

21 minutes ago, Bang! said:

most respected evaluators

Curious who you are referring to here. Teams employ loads of very experienced scouts that aren't publishing info. And many can have very different opinions of players. I would venture to guess that the couple of those types that are in public media (and are publishing eval's) are only a small portion of that population. So can't take the few public figures as gospel. And just because that handful managed to make a more palatable product from a fan's perspective and float to the top in fan consumption doesn't mean they are the most talented of the scouting population. it just means they're the most public.

33 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

Gary is gonna be playing with a chip on his shoulder after all this hate. 

I really hope so because he did nothing to address the lack of production for the entire year. You kinda want to hear that his people directed him to do as little as possible without hurting his stock. If that happens I think I can leave the rest of my questions about why building his brand had such a negative affect on his production. If it was the shoulder,  then we need to know where its at. The fact that those that evaluated him, whether for NFL channel or the websites, magazines, etc all had extremely high grades for him, #2 or #3 DE consistently and believe his talent can stand alone and will not be affected negatively by his lack of production or injury questions.

I mean, in the past I am bothered by any situation I can recall where an EDGE is considered a Top 5 talent, drawn comparisons to Jadeveon Clowney, but is said has never lived up to the hype. Now that he is branded with that, no excuses. He must meet those expectations. Everything he has done was to prepare for his arrival on this stage. We all support him, time is now.

i haven't read anything on here, but holy **** what a dumpster fire of a day 1 

could've walked away w/ two legit leaders/studs in burns and aj brown

instead we have mr. 9 wonderlic and a dude who might not understand how to play football. sensational man.

glute gonna burn this franchise to the ground 

2 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

instead we have mr. 9 wonderlic and a dude who might not understand how to play football. sensational man.

I love ya, fin, but you are just the worst at this stuff lol

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Still a reach...

Not when it stabalizes the whole O-Line and is glove like fit for the new zone blocking scheme coming in. Elflein moves to LG where he was an all american in college. The Vikings could have the most improved O-Line next year if it falls together.

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

Certainly rolled the dice on it. 

This was not a conservative draft.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Certainly rolled the dice on it. 

This was not a conservative draft.

I don't mind rolling the dice on guys who sell themselves w/ their personality but Rashan & Darnell don't do it for me. I did like Darnell & honestly if they didn't take Rashan I wouldn't have **** on the Darnell pick, but that just kinda ruined my whole vibe. Was legit the one guy I was super nervous about them taking. Just hard to trust him to reach his peak. Hope he's good. If he's good I'll legit retire from having draft opinions because I'd be really shocked. Darnell I do got a lot more faith in tho. 

5 hours ago, Bang! said:

I didn't know that Gute felt that Safety wasn't as deep as many others did. Then the move makes total sense... Thats what I was looking for because my understanding was again, a deep class without a clear #1.

I love the scouting reports I have read so far. Hes the only guy I can remember being referred to as a 4-down player as well as having a terrific football character.

I tend to question how things like this come together and play out. Ive never been a fan of 'trusting an unproven GM'.. or a proven one, for that matter. Ted proved that he did not deserve the trust that was placed in him.

By "not very deep", there's not a lot of good fits at FS for what he wants. But the draft is loaded with all kinds of safeties.

This pick has a little "still haunted by losing Nick Collins" feel to it. When I first saw Savage, I thought Collins and nice piece for Pettine.  Savage was my top guy at FS for GB but CGJ, Thornhill, and Adderly are still there. Savage's speed was definitely better; I just thought Pettine might want cheaper, more reliable. They clearly swung for the fences, however Gute wants to spin it.

One thing is certain. Gute can't sit on his hands in the War room like TT. But TT was in a league of one there.

24 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

I don't mind rolling the dice on guys who sell themselves w/ their personality but Rashan & Darnell don't do it for me. I did like Darnell & honestly if they didn't take Rashan I wouldn't have **** on the Darnell pick, but that just kinda ruined my whole vibe. Was legit the one guy I was super nervous about them taking. Just hard to trust him to reach his peak. Hope he's good. If he's good I'll legit retire from having draft opinions because I'd be really shocked. Darnell I do got a lot more faith in tho. 

I just don't personally know the guy. For all we know, the bad stories about him are fraudulent and leaked by the Packers. I just think a lot of this stuff is dramatized

Archived