Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

13 hours ago, daineraider said:

Can you imagine passing on Williams for Ferrell?  I’m still disappointed with a few of the guys we passed on, but even the apologists would have to be upset if that happened.

We needed a de more than a dt/nt 

I’m glad we got Ferrell over the dts 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G said:

I wonder if they thought of calling the Jets once time was about to run out and see if they'd trade 'Q' for 4 and 24. Might as well show your hand at that point if nobody is ringing the phone for a trade down.

Ferrell was slipping because of combine IMO but he didn't slip because we had a 'need' and he fit it. Rob Burnett and Anthony Pleasant is the type of DE I expect him to become. Good size, good overall career but not remembered as one of the 'greats' but will have seasons/moments that will stand out.

I think a lot of guys fell in love with Q and just made themselves believe we were targeting him.  He should be a very good DT, so I don't blame anyone for liking/wanting him.  I personally don't think DT was on our radar before, during, or after the draft.  Nothing I've seen tells me otherwise.

10 hours ago, G said:

Good size, good overall career but not remembered as one of the 'greats' but will have seasons/moments that will stand out.

Which is fine, how many true superstar edge players are there in the league? If we found a 10-year starter that can give us 8-10 sacks per year it was a good pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We needed a de more than a dt/nt 

I’m glad we got Ferrell over the dts 

I won’t argue need, but Williams was the best prospect in the draft and was only 20 or 21 years old.  I like Ferrell, FYI.  I didn’t love him at 4, but I think he will be a very solid player.

2 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I won’t argue need, but Williams was the best prospect in the draft and was only 20 or 21 years old.  I like Ferrell, FYI.  I didn’t love him at 4, but I think he will be a very solid player.

Ferrell is only 21 years old too. 

4 hours ago, true2form said:

I think a lot of guys fell in love with Q and just made themselves believe we were targeting him.  He should be a very good DT, so I don't blame anyone for liking/wanting him.  I personally don't think DT was on our radar before, during, or after the draft.  Nothing I've seen tells me otherwise.

Nope Hall/Hurst have 3T covered and Jelly/Hankins NT

I am glad that the Jets took Williams before the Raiders could pass on him for Ferrell. That would have been terrible. Pass on Josh Allen for Ferrell I can live with it. Pass on maybe the best player in the draft for a team need. That is something that I would have a hard time supporting. Luckily the Jets saved the Raiders there.

What would you guys consider a good rookie season for Ferrell as far as sacks? 

Chubb last year who got picked 5th got had 12 or 12.5 sacks last year. Most sacks ever by a rookie is 14.5. I would be happy with 7-8 sacks I think if he can get that it would be a successful rookie year. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I am glad that the Jets took Williams before the Raiders could pass on him for Ferrell. That would have been terrible. Pass on Josh Allen for Ferrell I can live with it. Pass on maybe the best player in the draft for a team need. That is something that I would have a hard time supporting. Luckily the Jets saved the Raiders there.

What would you guys consider a good rookie season for Ferrell as far as sacks? 

Chubb last year who got picked 5th got had 12 or 12.5 sacks last year. Most sacks ever by a rookie is 14.5. I would be happy with 7-8 sacks I think if he can get that it would be a successful rookie year. 

I think we all want as much as possible, but please remember Mack only had 4 sacks his rookie year.

I’m not expecting many sacks from Ferrell year one, maybe around five. After that I expect his yearly average to be around 8.5 per year. He’ll be fantastic at setting the edge for the run and being a leader from day one though. 

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I think Q is gonna be an absolute monster if the Jets use him right. But more Mayock about this pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3quHZPXLvA&t=6m

That "start from day 1 is key". They had nothing at DE and needed a instant starter. Burns for example is a guy who you have to take off the filed on run downs. Outside Bosa, Ferrell feels like the only guy who can start and be a 3 down player

• Like 3

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That "start from day 1 is key". They had nothing at DE and needed a instant starter. Burns for example is a guy who you have to take off the filed on run downs. Outside Bosa, Ferrell feels like the only guy who can start and be a 3 down player

I don’t think I’ve seen your stance on the pick BP. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen your stance on the pick BP. Thoughts?

I like Ferrell. Wanted the Raiders to land him. I was riding with him all college football season and he finished out strong. I said I would take him 4 overall after the National Champ game. Then the draft process started and you see him get pushed down the boards and let's be real,  we all buy into that stuff. 

I preferred Oliver or White at 4. Get the value, then trade up if you need to get the Ferrell. Easier said than done.

Stance is, they reached on the pick given the perceptions of his value. I'd have loved it with a trade down. But as far as fit and day 1 impact, hard to argue it. I'll forever compare his career arch to Oliver/White.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I like Ferrell. Wanted the Raiders to land him. I was riding with him all college football season and he finished out strong. I said I would take him 4 overall after the National Champ game. Then the draft process started and you see him get pushed down the boards and let's be real,  we all buy into that stuff. 

I preferred Oliver or White at 4. Get the value, then trade up if you need to get the Ferrell. Easier said than done.

Stance is, they reached on the pick given the perceptions of his value. I'd have loved it with a trade down. But as far as fit and day 1 impact, hard to argue it. I'll forever compare his career arch to Oliver/White.

The problem is did we get full value and most likely, it is the nature of the draft process, some of the players are taken after him will out perform him and it will only take one player who was perceived to be better than him to do so for many to be upset about the pick.  For me once Q and Bosa where gone my only options where trade down, Allen , and White.  If Oliver has a better career I will not be upset because between the 2 I probably take Ferrell because the other edge players had some serious red flags.  Ferrell for me just has a ceiling/athleticism red flag for me but I think his other attributes will allow him to still be a good player.  

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m not expecting many sacks from Ferrell year one, maybe around five. After that I expect his yearly average to be around 8.5 per year. He’ll be fantastic at setting the edge for the run and being a leader from day one though. 

12 hours ago, true2form said:

I think we all want as much as possible, but please remember Mack only had 4 sacks his rookie year.

I am not giving Ferrell a pass in the first year because his perceived benefit was a he could hit the ground running and he will play DE full time.  Mack's lack of production was part playing LB and a huge increase in competition coming from Buffalo.  Everyone knew Mack as not going to be a double digit sack guy his first year.  Ferrell needs to have 8+ sacks and stop some jet sweeps for me to be happy.