1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

33 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ok but who’s the last rookie you saw beating starters and going 4-1 in pass rush drills? Yes, only 1 on 1’s but it sure is promising, don’t you think?

Gary's an absolutely incredible athlete. He's always going to stand out in individual competitions. 

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

I definitely won’t really judge Gary until games are played, but it is nice to hear he’s doing well. The last 1st rounder I was as upset we picked was Harrell who completely bombed. Hopefully the PFF complete college tape purists are wrong.

Yep, hopefully Gary doesn't lose his career to injuries.

At the very least this tells me that the floor for Gary is indeed correct.  He's shown up and been an athletic freak who will follow instructions.  What kind of player he turns into beyond that is still to be seen, but he's going to be a chess piece of some degree for the next 4-5 years for sure.  It's what you'd expect from him in camp, but it's still nice to see it and know the suppositions were correct.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ok but who’s the last rookie you saw beating starters and going 4-1 in pass rush drills? Yes, only 1 on 1’s but it sure is promising, don’t you think?

Tell me he'd do this in camp right after we drafted him and I"ll tell you that you are delusional.

Tell me this now and I'll tell you that I missed on my evaluation of Gary.  

• Like 2

Gary is showing all of the signs of someone who wants to be great too. Studied Peppers and Donald. Not just their NFL tape, but their college tape. Saw how they developed their bodies. Realizes the importance of the grind and work ethic. He’s doing all sorts of functional training so he’s not just a 277 guy who can run 4.58. He’s a guy who has functional strength and functional movement with it. 

Even tho he didn’t get sacks in the big 10, if you turn on the tape, he’s got a speed rush, a speed to power club, a straight ahead bull rush and a unique one arm stab and drive inside move. So he can threaten all angles of pass rush right now, including ridiculous speed on stunts and power to set up other people’s stunts. Plus he’s working even harder to be better. 

He spend a good amount of time after practice talking to Bakh one day. He’s showing ambition to be the best. 

He’s doing everything right. This might be our best draft pick in a really long time. 

Edited by boratt

I’d give the complex assignments to Z and Preston and Fackrell in 2019. Gary can use his rookie year to learn NFL defenses and be a paid pass rush goon. Bring him in with fresh legs and let him bowl people over and throw them around. 

It's promising but again not in pads or live reps. Athletically he should give people a hard time 1v1. Let's see him versus our two bookend tackles. Let's see some full team reps. Let's see him react. 

I hope he can but I need to see it.

• Like 1

I think the most exciting thing about Bane Gary other than his absolute insane god given ability, is his drive to be great. His head is in the right place and he is determined as all hell. I think a lot of the skeptics and critics throughout the draft process may be a reasoning for that.

This guy sure looks good in green & gold, even in #52. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 10:32 PM, spilltray said:

It's promising but again not in pads or live reps. Athletically he should give people a hard time 1v1. Let's see him versus our two bookend tackles. Let's see some full team reps. Let's see him react. 

I hope he can but I need to see it.

I'll take it one step farther...

Let me see it in a real NFL game against a real NFL tackle...after the Smith's have been beating them up on running plays and some passing plays.

Fresh Gary versus a possibly slightly winded NFL tackle.

I"m liking that set a lot.  Said it before, I'll say it again.  Thanks to Gute's off-season, Gary could not have come into a better place.  He doesn't need to carry a defense, he just needs to enhance it.  No problem letting him rush in year one while he learns his craft.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Fresh Gary versus a possibly slightly winded NFL tackle.

I"m liking that set a lot.  Said it before, I'll say it again.  Thanks to Gute's off-season, Gary could not have come into a better place.  He doesn't need to carry a defense, he just needs to enhance it.

Agree. He’s already a rare freak of an athlete. It’s Only enhanced if he’s fresh going against slightly winded players. There could be some holy crap, wow plays in the near future. 

Edited by boratt