2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

Is anyone here even certain that Billy Turner is a better player than Lane Taylor? Because if you told me you were I'd probably assume you're full is chit. Or you're a diehard Broncos fan. :D

You don't pay Turner $7M/year for him to sit on the bench.  He's going to be in the starting lineup one way or the other.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You don't pay Turner $7M/year for him to sit on the bench.  He's going to be in the starting lineup one way or the other.

Well I mean that's pretty easy to assume. 

What are we paying Taylor? Isn't it like 5-6mil? Are we gonna pay him that if Jenkins beats him out, or cut him? 

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

Well I mean that's pretty easy to assume. 

What are we paying Taylor? Isn't it like 5-6mil? Are we gonna pay him that if Jenkins beats him out, or cut him? 

$5.5M/year, but you're also saving nearly $3M by releasing him.  But the Jenkins pick was more about next year than this year, although he'll be given every chance to win the position this year.  They save roughly $4M when you factor in a replacement after next season.  The odds of Lane Taylor being a Packer in 2020 was slim.

I was pretty surprised by this pick.  Thought that there was some top tier offensive talent there.  Weapons.

But I really like Jenkins.  I saw just a little of him from the Senior Bowl, that was it.  I thought he moved really, really well.  Really nice size.  I think he's the athletic interior player that they want.  And that means that Taylor is not in the future plans.  I'm not calling for him to be cut, but if a younger kid, say Patrick or Siragusa, plays and practices well, I can see them moving on from Taylor and putting Jenkins in there.  

At the very least, we have some nice depth inside and a little help outside with him.  I'm cool with the pick.  As much as this pick says we want to get better, more athletic linemen, it also says we really like our young WR's.  Nice on both counts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

..At the very least, we have some nice depth inside and a little help outside with him.  I'm cool with the pick.  As much as this pick says we want to get better, more athletic linemen, it also says we really like our young WR's.  Nice on both counts.

Every pick, Gute or scout or MLF was referencing "flexibility". 

Depth "at the very least" is not least at all; it's maybe main point? Linsley hurt, you're not trying to stuff McCray or Lucas Patrick in at center.  If Taylor or Turner get hurt, you can use Jenkins.  If Bulaga or Bakhti get hurt, maybe Spriggs is your best guy and you're happy to use him; but if not you don't have to, you could flip Turner outside and play Jenkins inside.  By adding *BOTH* flexible Jenkins AND flexible Turner, Gute has attempted to cover both starting guard AND having a starter-talent 6th man for every spot along the line. 

And when I say "if" a lineman gets hurt, shouldn't that be "when" a lineman gets hurt?  That seems kind of a given!  

So I'm not buzzed to release Taylor.  Staying 6-deep with guys that Gute scouts as starter-ready makes great sense.  The line has fallen apart in past when injuries have hit; staying 6-deep could really provide insurance.  

I also think being 6-deep might help in that when a starter is hurt, maybe you rest him, and play your good 6th-man without compromising much; and your starter can rest for a couple o weeks and get healthy.  Rather than playing a hurt-so-only-70%-effective starter all season long,  limited to only-70%-effective all year because the injury can never heal.  

I totally want that depth. 

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snackattack said:

I like this pick and dont really understand the hate. Dude is a great athlete with a really good anchor at a position of need. Getsy provided great insight im sure

Because he's an IOL.  It's not a sexy pick.  He's not a LT, he's not a pass rusher, etc.  There's nothing that gets you excited about him.  He can be a fantastic player, but he's an unsexy player.

Gute is systematically and aggressively checking off position group boxes that were weak or weakened or may become weak.

WR - check

CB's - check

RB's - check

TE - check

S - check

ER - check

DL - check

IOL - check

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, ReadyToThump said:

We don't need a guard, or depth there. We've got a plethora of guys who can step in if our starters go down. That's the only problem I have with this selection. 

Like who?

Out RG last year was maybe the worst starter at any postion on any team.

If they view Turner as the RT next year then they need a RG bad.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:27 PM, ReadyToThump said:

Lol we have multiple guys who could step in, who have starter reps, and can get us out of a game in a pinch. I don't hate this pick but personally would've liked another position, or hell. I would've preferred Erik McCoy. 

If we had guys why didnt they play RG last year because the RG play was absolutely pathetic. Most of the quick pressure came right up the middle causing quick throw aways.

McGinn was basically deriding the Packers for selecting Jenkins instead of McCoy in his latest article but fails to understand why we did so.

On paper McCoy may have appeared to be a little bit more athletic but one look at the combine tape there is a markedly clear difference between the two. McCoy is quick in a straight line but he has issues changing direction. McCoy physically looks much bigger and heavier but in fact it is Jenkins who is heavier! His body is much better proportioned. Not only he's heavier he also moves around with far more fluidity. For our ZBS its no surprise at all why we chose Jenkins over McCoy.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, Ragnarok said:

Not a huge fan.  I think he is a good utility-type OL who can back up multiple spots, but I don't see him as a long term starter.  

He's like that guy in baseball who can play 6 positions pretty well and is great to give guys a rest day, but you never want to have him in the starting 9 everyday.  

The money they paid him says they disagree with you.