3.90 Connor McGovern C/G, Penn State

D82

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Surprised we went for iOL depth so early. Like Helman said, C-Will to RT to replace La'el in a year makes sense, but you kinda have to wonder if this pick isn't about Frederick to some degree

Very well could be insurance there, though I lean towards this being all about La'el Collins. Believe his versatility is key. Obviously comfortable at C and experience at OG. Think the length and athletic ability are there to move outside if needed. 

Personally I like the move the more I think about it. Take your strength and make it stronger. 

• Like 1

Jason Garrett said McGovern was “by far the highest rated player on our board”.

If that’s the case, kudos for being prepared to pick him. And you’ll get this pick back in 2021 in the form of a La’El Collins comp pick as a result. Makes sense. 

I hope Connor Williams can play RT.

Edit: McGovern was reportedly the last 2nd round grade on our board.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Jason Garrett said McGovern was “by far the highest rated player on our board”.

If that’s the case, kudos for being prepared to pick him. And you’ll get this pick back in 2021 in the form of a La’El Collins comp pick as a result. Makes sense. 

I hope Connor Williams can play RT.

Edit: McGovern was reportedly the last 2nd round grade on our board.

Yep. He was definitely a JG pick. What he means was he was who JG wanted. 

Is this a depth pick or because we really are looking to move on from Collins after this year?

May be a bit premature, but if we are moving on from Collins, just do it now and give Williams the reps at RT. We could use the cap savings on Amari's deal and front load some of that cap hit.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Is this a depth pick or because we really are looking to move on from Collins after this year?

May be a bit premature, but if we are moving on from Collins, just do it now and give Williams the reps at RT. We could use the cap savings on Amari's deal and front load some of that cap hit.

Collins is a FA next year, we can’t afford a steak at every position. Quality lineman on the cheap will be beneficial in being able to sign Dak and Coop and maybe resign Zeke. Where would the money come from for Collins? I like this move

• Like 1

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

Collins is a FA next year, we can’t afford a steak at every position. Quality lineman on the cheap will be beneficial in being able to sign Dak and Coop and maybe resign Zeke. Where would the money come from for Collins? I like this move

I agree we cant pay a premium at every position.

My question was, was this a depth pick or are we planning on moving on from Collins. If we are, then why not trade Collins now, get a pick, some cap relief that we can use now to resign Cooper, roll over the cap space or sign someone like Suh/Berry.

5 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

My question was, was this a depth pick or are we planning on moving on from Collins. If we are, then why not trade Collins now, get a pick, some cap relief that we can use now to resign Cooper, roll over the cap space or sign someone like Suh/Berry.

I’m gonna say right now he is a depth pick and provides competition for Williams and Sua-Filo. Competition breeds a better product. He can also be an insurance policy for Frederick. Speaking of which, Looney did pretty decent job maybe McGovern can steal his depth position as well, has much better upside here as well. Looney is one I would look to trade as well

On 4/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, CAPJ said:

We don’t need the cap relief this season, and it’s very possible we could get a 3rd round comp pick in return for letting him walk in addition to one more year of quality service.

You want to trade him and throw the rookie in there. But most rookies aren’t Zach Martin. Give the guy a chance to develop, embrace the depth and flexibility it gives us, and then enjoy the pick in 2021.

Any conversation for a Collins trade would need to start at a second round pick. Even at that, it would be questionable.