Star Wars episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Breesus mode

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

I hated the trailer. I don't need to see the potential matchups of Kylo Ren v Mom, Finn v Phasma, Rey v Snoke, etc. Even if it was all misdirection, it just showed way too much for me. I mean the eye candy was real but wish I had unseen what I saw.

Same. Especially the Rey / Snoke bit.

I'm still all-in on the "Han killed himself, Kylo is on a redemption arc, Rey will be the final villain" theory train.

10 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I'd love that. Gut feeling this movie will end with Rey and Kylo fighting Snoke.

I think they pretty much confirmed Ben's redemption arc with that helmet scene.

I think they could have stretched that out to the 3rd movie with this one focusing on him truly immersing himself in the darkside. Probably my gripe about this trailer, and this will be horrible. Is that they are making Rey out to be the strongest force user with both Snoke and more importantly Luke mentioning that "raw power".

12 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

The trailer was the only good thing about monday night football. But even then meh looks like its all about the new characters and no love for the old ones but maybe thats just the way it was edited i hope. 

How are you guys surprised by this? Yes the old characters are part of these films, but this trilogy is about the new characters. If you just want the story about them, go back and watch the original 3. Yes I want to see Luke be a pivotal influence on this movie, but thats it, just an influence. It should be Rey, Kylo and Fin and Poe as the main characters that we are invested in.

13 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

They better do a great job on Luke. That's all I gotta say. If this follows ESB and all he does is train Rey without effin some things up. This is going to suck for me. He needs to be hands down the strongest character in this story.

Why? Luke has had his story. Yes there is more to tall (background with Kylo and possibly Rey) but if he is just a reluctant mentor, and possibly outcasts Rey (again) does he really need to be much more than that? Im sure we will get him fighting at some point (definitely in the burning flashback) and maybe once more (in an Obi Wan style last battle) but I will say this again. These movies are about the new characters, we arent just running back the old crew. Those would be terrible movies.

23 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Jesus Christ I hope not.

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised that it happened.

19 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

That is exactly what gave me that feeling that is how they're going to play it.

23 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I feel like you guys are reading a whole lot into a few little quick cuts. Not saying he wont have a redemption arc, but he has a long way to come back from killing Han (yes he did)

32 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why? Luke has had his story. Yes there is more to tall (background with Kylo and possibly Rey) but if he is just a reluctant mentor, and possibly outcasts Rey (again) does he really need to be much more than that? Im sure we will get him fighting at some point (definitely in the burning flashback) and maybe once more (in an Obi Wan style last battle) but I will say this again. These movies are about the new characters, we arent just running back the old crew. Those would be terrible movies.

Nobody wants to see an old, decrepit, and useless Luke Skywalker. I mean who here does not want to see the full potential of the Skywalker power on display?

We live in an age of excitement, and CGI where we can make the lore and powers they could barely display in the old movies possible in this one. Even if Luke is a cracked image of his former self. He should still be all-powerful, it's why Snoke fears him. And it's been confirmed by Lucas himself that he is the strongest Jedi to ever live. To have anyone surpass him in one trilogy especially the likes of Rey and or Ben would just be a franchise ruiner. 

This is not Dragon Ball anime where one character goes from a nobody one episode to the strongest in the universe the next. It took Yoda centuries to become as strong as he was. Luke did not reach his peak at the end of ROTJ, it continued upward afterwards. The only thing Rey and Ben should be in this trilogy should be chess pieces being moved and or moving pieces themselves. Having Rey surpass Luke in one or two movies would be like Luke surpassing Yoda by the end of ESB. Or Harry Potter becoming a better Wizard then Dumbledore by the end of the series, or Clarice Starling growing smarter then Hannibal Lector by the end of Silence of the Lambs, Frodo wiser then Gandalf.

Having a Joker side card in the series that can trump all but has setbacks makes for a better story.

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Nobody wants to see an old, decrepit, and useless Luke Skywalker. I mean who here does not want to see the full potential of the Skywalker power on display?

We live in an age of excitement, and CGI where we can make the lore and powers they could barely display in the old movies possible in this one. Even if Luke is a cracked image of his former self. He should still be all-powerful, it's why Snoke fears him. And it's been confirmed by Lucas himself that he is the strongest Jedi to ever live. To have anyone surpass him in one trilogy especially the likes of Rey and or Ben would just be a franchise ruiner. 

This is not Dragon Ball anime where one character goes from a nobody one episode to the strongest in the universe the next. It took Yoda centuries to become as strong as he was. Luke did not reach his peak at the end of ROTJ, it continued upward afterwards. The only thing Rey and Ben should be in this trilogy should be chess pieces being moved and or moving pieces themselves. Having Rey surpass Luke in one or two movies would be like Luke surpassing Yoda by the end of ESB. Or Harry Potter becoming a better Wizard then Dumbledore by the end of the series, or Clarice Starling growing smarter then Hannibal Lector by the end of Silence of the Lambs, Frodo wiser then Gandalf.

Having a Joker side card in the series that can trump all but has setbacks makes for a better story.

I agree with Luke being stronger.  One of the best fight scenes was Yoda vs. Dooku in AotC.  Yoda was, what, over 800?  if Luke is the strongest Jedi ever, show me on the screen.  I don't care how much CGI or how many stunt doubles it takes.

24 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think you are fighting against some unseen argument here. No one is saying that he cant be the strongest Jedi ever. And certainly no one is saying that Kylo or Rey should be surpassing him right now. (BUT I will say, that he would not have been taken down by Kylo or fear Rey's power if he himself didnt deep down know that they could be stronger than him). My point is, we are no longer telling a Luke Skywalker Story. Yes he is part of the story (a charachter that big will always influence, just like Vader) but this is a new set of stories. 

Archived