2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What exactly are you looking for out of day 3 of the draft?

Last year we had 8 picks from the 4th round on, 3 contributed and one of those is the punter.  MVS, EQ, Scott

2017 seven picks yielded:  Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones 

2016 four picks yielded:  Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry

2015 five picks yielded:  Jake Ryan, Brett Hundley, Aaron Ripkowski

2014 five picks yielded:  Corey Linsley

These are the guys that have started, or played significant snaps for the Packers on offense or defense.  Linsley is playing on his second contract.  Martinez and Lowry are on their way to receiving a second contract from the Packers or someone else.  Williams, Jones, MVS, EQ, and Scott are too early to tell.  There just aren't a lot of 2nd contract guys coming from the 4th round and beyond.  

I skimmed through to the late 80s, and the best 4th and later draft haul the Packers have had was most likely the 4/4 2nd contract 2010 draft of Quarless, Newhouse, Starks, CJ Wilson.

So, if you think we will be getting 1/4 hits out of those picks, I'm not really seeing the problem.

Bottom Line: Our Day 3 guys, with maybe the exception of Keke, will probably be a bunch of JAG's. You may not like that, you may disagree with that, and I hope I'm wrong; but I just don't see how any of the other three guys find a sustainable role. We've had far greater success in the past, especially in UDFA.

As other posters have pointed out, we've usually found some role players on Day 3 being ST or otherwise and we've had a long history of success. David Long could've been a pick at either of our 6th's. The only real knock on him was his size at 5'11", but you're looking to add depth at that point in the draft and Long proved he was durable, productive, and can work sideline-to-sideline rapidly and tackle well, unlike the guy we drafted in the 7th. I would've taken him over Dexter Williams for sure, and probably KaDar Hollman given that Hollman will be a 25-year-old rookie with questionable fundamentals. There were a fair amount of draftable CB's and RB's at the end of this draft that would've made up for passing on a CB or RB for a better ILB prospect when we have a void behind Burks and Martinez; and let's not act like we're hitching our wagon to Burks either...

On 5/4/2019 at 4:36 AM, Burnett42 said:

Really? No one?

Do you have communication with all the team scouts before the draft?

Burnett was an average player. So your opinions don't count!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bottom Line: Our Day 3 guys, with maybe the exception of Keke, will probably be a bunch of JAG's. You may not like that, you may disagree with that, and I hope I'm wrong; but I just don't see how any of the other three guys find a sustainable role. We've had far greater success in the past, especially in UDFA.

RB Dexter Williams has a solid chance to be a regular player in a rotation. The Packers need a 3rd back who can contribute, and given how punishing that position is, I suspect he could find a decent amount of playing time. A look at thedraftnetwork (Marino) scouting report suggests he has good ball security, outstanding vision, good cuts and precise timing, while another report from the same site (Ledyard) is more pessimistic, suggesting he always goes down on first contact and looks better/stronger than he plays. If Williams has both some of the positives and negatives attributed to him, he at least has a chance to be a rotational back (which of course is why he was drafted).

Summers has a chance to carve out a niche on ST. I don't expect him to see a second contract, but he could find ways to get on the field through his first contract. Even if these backup position are something of a revolving door,  back-end of the draft players can play a role while the Packers decide if they are improving enough for more work.

Maybe you consider a guy who is part of a rotation as JAG. I'd say The majority of the 53 players on any team are JAGs, so they are crucially  important. JAG is good, imo..........it's when a guy is below that level that problems arise. Now just to be clear, I don't want a JAG as starting LT or at QB, some positions are important enough to demand better players, but any roster has a ton of backups. 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

.Last year we had 8 picks from the 4th round on, 3 contributed and one of those is the punter.  MVS, EQ, Scott

These are the guys that have started, or played significant snaps for the Packers on offense or defense.  Linsley is playing on his second contract.  Martinez and Lowry are on their way to receiving a second contract from the Packers or someone else.  Williams, Jones, MVS, EQ, and Scott are too early to tell.  There just aren't a lot of 2nd contract guys coming from the 4th round and beyond.  ....

I think that's some pretty high production on the 3rd day.  A solid starter out of 2014; 2016, and 2017.  Between ESB and MVS, those two guys are going to get used a lot this year and perhaps beyond.  

Harder this year, of course, without the 4ths.  But if one or two of the 3rd-day guys this year ends up getting the snaps, opportunity and impact that Linsley, Martinez, Lowry, Williams, and Jones have had, that would be really nice.  

Obviously harder, because a 7th round 3rd-day pick is not nearly the same as a 4th-rounder.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

I think that's some pretty high production on the 3rd day.  A solid starter out of 2014; 2016, and 2017.  Between ESB and MVS, those two guys are going to get used a lot this year and perhaps beyond.  

Harder this year, of course, without the 4ths.  But if one or two of the 3rd-day guys this year ends up getting the snaps, opportunity and impact that Linsley, Martinez, Lowry, Williams, and Jones have had, that would be really nice.  

Obviously harder, because a 7th round 3rd-day pick is not nearly the same as a 4th-rounder.  

We may have got lucky with ESB but I normally regard the bottom of the 5th round as being the cut off between picks you have real hopes for.  Anything you get from the 6th and 7th rounds is a bonus, as others have said they are pretty much priority UDFAs.  Its the kind of pick you throw at a ST or a project or something.

With no 4th round  (I really hope Savage would have gone before 30 as 4th rounders are nice picks to give you roster depth) then Keke is the only meaningful 3rd day pick and people are happy with him.

Yeah there may be draftable players we could have taken but the odds they will amount to much is low

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What exactly are you looking for out of day 3 of the draft?

Last year we had 8 picks from the 4th round on, 3 contributed and one of those is the punter.  MVS, EQ, Scott

These are the guys that have started, or played significant snaps for the Packers on offense or defense.  Linsley is playing on his second contract.  Martinez and Lowry are on their way to receiving a second contract from the Packers or someone else.  Williams, Jones, MVS, EQ, and Scott are too early to tell.  There just aren't a lot of 2nd contract guys coming from the 4th round and beyond.  

I skimmed through to the late 80s, and the best 4th and later draft haul the Packers have had was most likely the 4/4 2nd contract 2010 draft of Quarless, Newhouse, Starks, CJ Wilson.

So, if you think we will be getting 1/4 hits out of those picks, I'm not really seeing the problem.

All of these are 4th and 5th rounders with the exception of Rip - he was a full back and the kind of player you can easily get as an UDFA.  To say it again, you really shouldn't have any expectations from 6th and 7th rounders - if they help you at all,  its a win.

Again, this is why its a shame we had to trade up as you can get nice players in the 4th and 5th round that can set up your roster - the trade pretty much ripped the heart our third day and its a bit silly to have many expectations when we just had a 5th rounder and change.