• Takitaki
    • Redwine
    • Wilson
    • Seibert
    • Forbes
    • Lewis
  3. 3. Least favorite pick/use of

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

I'm not super worried about the energy-giving aspect of drafting guys like Mack Wilson.  I think when you slip into the 5th, you know what is at stake as far as laying it all out there.  You know that if you don't show up, you can be out of the league before you know it. 

I mean, yeah, you hope so but the lack of awareness of such things is perhaps one of the reasons he fell in the first place.

The entitlement has to go away, or you won't make it, and your livelihood and dreams are gone.  That's why it's tough to take a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd.  He knows he's safe and can coast to an extent. 

And if they don’t, Chad Thomas can tell them.  😂  (Calm down @Mind Character, I’m just kidding)

Accountability in the locker room is important, but when you know what is at stake, you'd like to think that the self-drive will land the person where they need to be as far as talent goes.  If it doesn't work out, I think it's still a worthwhile swing in the 5th round, as opposed to going for a guy that only has backup potential.  There's a balance there, so I think not going for 'singles' with some of these picks does have a potential advantage. 

Yep, in round 5 it’s worth a roll of the dice.

Does not apply within this context.

He knows what is at stake and is putting it all towards his dream of wearing shades and blasting music in a dark room. 

On a side note, id be a terrible DJ/music producer.

Maybe it’s just that I’m getting older, but I’d be knocking ish over left and right blind as hell wearing sunglasses at night Cory Hart style.

Id have to change the game and make a headlamp fashionable.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s a helluva stretch to saying we added future picks today.

It's plausible.

I would have loved to pick up some future picks, too, but we had more immediate priorities.

Just looking for bright spots!

Just now, bruceb said:

It's plausible.

I would have loved to pick up some future picks, too, but we had more immediate priorities.

No I’m good with it.  I’d have liked to see them get some future assets, but they did fine.  Hell they still may if they move Duke.

Just now, bruceb said:

Just looking for bright spots!

Who the **** are you and what the hell did you do with bruce!?!?!?

OBJ is the only thing that matters from this draft. If you look at this draft on the whole there's really no sting here, probably because the draft is a DL dream. SInce we're pretty stout there there's nothing to write home about. We did what we did and I'm glad. A+

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character

I did notice the football character thing. To Dorsey football character  is a huge deal, he is happy to gamble on callaway and hunt, and happy to get rid of Josh gordon and Caleb Brantley, football charater is a big deal in Dorseys mind, I think it is a principle that dorsey and freddie agree on.  teh caveat is that the player has to be talented. We have had previous regimes where character mattered more than talent, the Patriot/mangini way, or talent trumps character, Butch and Walrus

Mack and greedy are both football character risks I agree, it will be interesting to see how they respond to the weight of the room leaning towards hard work, sacrifice and a desire to win. It could be that they both only spend their first contract here, as Greedy ego builds, like say Marcus Peters his time here comes closer to an end,. We dont know how any of these guys will respond to fame, money, success and failure. If Greedy booms n our defense and gets 4-8 picks, who knows what will happen to him. 

Dorsey seems to get the psychology of a football player right.

I included OBJ in the polling because a draft pick is an asset to acquire wins for your team to some extent, we leveraged that asset to get OBJ, I dont think we can think of this daft without thinking of acquiring OBJ in terms of how it helps our team win. I agree it is a Bish draft, but it is a Bish draft and the acquisition of OBJ whether someone likes him or not.  It is also underwhelming compared to last year. 

My only critique is that we didn't acquire future picks. We are going to need future high picks to keep our team loaded aroundBaker, OBJ, Garrett and Ward.

I absolutely agree that we don't know how Greedy and Mack will respond to the pressures of all things related to pro football. I'm hoping for the best. These guys are young (but not that young though they're like 21 and up), and there are tons of success stories of good players that grew to be professionals after being nothing close to one and maturing personally. However, awareness, maturity, and drive to put in the work to be great are not that easy to come by though no matter the time of development. I'm right there with you in that I wish we would've accrued future draft capital.

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

I think that Mack, Greedy and every other new kid on the block is going to get full-court culture pressure from the players we have accumulated and the coaching staff.

It's about their coming around to our way of thinkin'.

If they do we win big. If they don't they are gone.

Indeed, you're right. I trust the culture of our team an organization right now. We have young leaders that I believe will continue to mature. The program will be laid out for them as Freddie said "when they get here we'll get them right" when asked to respond to Mack and Greedy publicly saying we're going to the super bowl. The lack of awareness and maturity for Greedy and Mack (Mack more so) is why I think the draft is solid and has a chance to be great pending how they matriculate through the pro game.

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I'm not super worried about the energy-giving aspect of drafting guys like Mack Wilson.  I think when you slip into the 5th, you know what is at stake as far as laying it all out there.  You know that if you don't show up, you can be out of the league before you know it.  The entitlement has to go away, or you won't make it, and your livelihood and dreams are gone.  That's why it's tough to take a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd.  He knows he's safe and can coast to an extent.  Accountability in the locker room is important, but when you know what is at stake, you'd like to think that the self-drive will land the person where they need to be as far as talent goes.  If it doesn't work out, I think it's still a worthwhile swing in the 5th round, as opposed to going for a guy that only has backup potential.  There's a balance there, so I think not going for 'singles' with some of these picks does have a potential advantage. 

Really well said. Seeking that balance and deciding to go for safe singles versus bigger swings with bigger risk and payoffs is a fascinating dynamic in roster and organization building.  It's so interesting. In the early rounds high up in the draft like last year all one has to do is make solid contact with a regular swing in order to get big payoffs. But as each round passes, the need to take bigger, riskier swings at the plate in order to get bigger payoffs increases. I think you said it best when you said, ".. it's a worthwhile swing in the 5th round, as opposed to going for a guy that only has backup potential." It's about are we going for a potential starter or potential quality backup. With our overall roster talent elevated, the guys available in the draft with the talent to start on our roster at some point typically have more glaring risks/flaws. That's also especially true as the rounds progress. We took our swings (not crazy swings like some teams as Mack and Greedy are solid people by all accounts).

we added a starter on each side of the ball (obj and greedy), a potential replacement kicker, a few roto LB’s, and some special teams players. I dont get caught up in the “boohoo we shoulda drafted x y and z” because none of us know who will pan out and who wont. All i know is im excited about adding some new browns to the 2020 super bowl roster

A few things that caught my eye:

I thought they went too hard after LB depth. I really wanted them to take somebody to be a rotational piece, but using a 3rd + 5th for LBs seems like we almost overloaded the position where we could have added depth elsewhere.

Greedy, Takitaki and Wilson all have had off field or personality issues. Couple that with Callaway, Brantley, Hunt, Richardson ect and Dorseys fixation on grabbing up every player with character concerns is weird to me even going far back to Hill/Peters. Not a fan even if they are good players. It's like the Browns are over here running a second chance University. Even a huge concern with Baker was his personality/underage cop video. Love Dorsey but man does it seem like he loves a problem child. Maybe he likes players with an edge to them but I don't want half this roster to be filled with a bunch of combustable Pacman Jones'

Taking a Kicker with a 5th was also questionable when we could have added legit DE/DT/OL depth. Sort of surprised they didn't spread the draft picks around a little more with each position group and just seemingly focused on spending the whole draft on upgrading the LBs and Secondary.

I might be alone here, but I think Greedy and Mack will have too much pressure on them to slack off or be major headaches. The Browns before last year, we'd be begging for trouble with those two. Look at the situation now. 

Greedy is going to follow Jarvis and Odell around like a Lil puppy dog, two of our hardest workers. You think they're not going to push him, be a voice in his ear? In his meeting room, he's got good, experienced db coaches, Denzel Ward, a hard working, good character dude, Mitchell, a self made player, TJ Carrie, a good character pro's pro...

Wilson is in a room with Avery, a hard working, late round dude, Schobert, self made college walk on, Kirksey, the consummate leader, and a well respected position coach.

Now here's the part of my theory that gives me the most confidence: our star players are also our hardest workers. That is invaluable. When the stars aren't, it's a recipe for problems. Baker, Chubb, Jarvis, Odell, Myles, Ward... All self motivated, hard working dudes who are all striving for gold jackets.

So far Dorsey has been good at judging who fits into the locker room, which is a positive. 

He gambles on character well from that perspective, much better than ray farmer, gilbert and manzeil. 

I'd rather gamble on some character issues with dudes who have talent, than gamble on someone without much physical talent and is boy scout.

Archived