Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

oh right you completely disregarded the rub

I said you can credit him for getting them jobs. He didn't put them over in any meaningful way. He beat Starks and sent him to Dark for a month before he caught on with Tazz and got himself over. Kingston did more for himself than Cody did for him. All he needed was the pre-match promo and he cemented himself.

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I said you can credit him for getting them jobs. He didn't put them over in any meaningful way. He beat Starks and sent him to Dark for a month before he caught on with Tazz and got himself over. Kingston did more for himself than Cody did for him. All he needed was the pre-match promo and he cemented himself.

he gave two talented guys that TV audiences had no reason to care about a reason to care about them. That's literally the point. That's what a rub is. It enabled them to use their talent to get over, gave them a jumping off point. Its a staple in wrestling and you are dismissing it pretty nonchalantly. 

21 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

he gave two talented guys that TV audiences had no reason to care about a reason to care about them. That's literally the point. That's what a rub is. It enabled them to use their talent to get over, gave them a jumping off point. Its a staple in wrestling and you are dismissing it pretty nonchalantly. 

I think you're using the term rub too liberally, and devaluing it. They showed up, lost to Cody, and did nothing directly afterwards. If you want to count it fine, I don't. They were built up for Cody, lost, and tossed aside until they could make it on their own which they did. Which is exactly what I said. Whether you agree or not is besides the point.

You said: "Every single one of those feuds ends with Cody putting them over."

That is verifiably false. Even if we give you credit for those two and ignore Warhorse you're at half, almost none of them had any direction post-Cody feud, and multiple of those guys had their momentum completely killed by him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I think you're using the term rub too liberally, and devaluing it. They showed up, lost to Cody, and did nothing directly afterwards. If you want to count it fine, I don't. They were built up for Cody, lost, and tossed aside until they could make it on their own which they did. Which is exactly what I said. Whether you agree or not is besides the point.

The most well known rub of all time is Angle and Cena and you just described it to a T. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

The most well known rub of all time is Angle and Cena and you just described it to a T. 

It describes a lot of situations to a T. Naming the best case scenario doesn't mean that applies to everyone else. Like I said, count them if you want, point still stands.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

It describes a lot of situations to a T. Naming the best case scenario doesn't mean that applies to everyone else. Like I said, count them if you want, point still stands.

Was it? Cena eventually got over but he was also on the verge of getting fired before busting out the Thugonomics. He mightve gotten fired if not for the Angle rub. I don't think I am being too liberal with the term, I think you are being too restrictive. You are also blaming Cody for other talent's inability to get over. Cody has a spotlight, you already stated as much. He puts others in that spotlight, its on them after that. 

10 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

You said: "Every single one of those feuds ends with Cody putting them over."

That is verifiably false. Even if we give you credit for those two and ignore Warhorse you're at half, almost none of them had any direction post-Cody feud, and multiple of those guys had their momentum completely killed by him.

100% this.

We saw the same attitude out of Dustin though. Dustin defeating Comoroto in that strap match. When assaulted on twitter about not putting guys over. He said he did just by being in the ring with him. Because somehow in his head. Losing to an over-the-hill midcarder somehow equates a rub because he thinks hes a big deal.  I dont see Cody being any different if it was his match and was asked that.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Was it? Cena eventually got over but he was also on the verge of getting fired before busting out the Thugonomics. He mightve gotten fired if not for the Angle rub. I don't think I am being too liberal with the term, I think you are being too restrictive. You are also blaming Cody for other talent's inability to get over. Cody has a spotlight, you already stated as much. He puts others in that spotlight, its on them after that. 

It's certainly possible I'm too restrictive with it, that tends to be my personality of holding things up. I'm not blaming Cody for others inability to get over. I'm saying all these new guys come and debut against him and look like big deals coming into the match, and then typically don't go anywhere post Cody. It's as if they were specifically built up for Cody. It's still on them to get over after the fact, and the good ones have.

Edited by Bullet Club

22 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you think would be the best way for him to turn heel and keep heat? 

I think what could be the easiest way to turn him heel and maintain the heat would also be the biggest curse: Do it through Brandi.  Brandi is getting X-Pac/Eva Marie heat at this point.  When she's not trying she can actually cut an entertaining (note: I'm specifically using entertaining here not "good") promo; the problem is that when she tries she incredibly overacts in a way that makes Allie/Bunny look like Meryl Streep.  I also don't think making the onus of your heatseeking in a heel turn to be your valet/manager (who is also your wife and is clearly going to stay at least the later for, likely, the rest of your career; there's a reason the notion of Stephanie turning on Hunter was never floated once it was known that Hunter was in a boardroom position), at least in terms of long-term booking because you can only flip babyface from that scenario by giving the heatseeker (i.e. your wife) her comeuppance.  You could book it similarly to the Edge/Vicky Guerrero angle on Smackdown a number of years ago - when Vicky had go-home heat with the "excuse me" stuff - and have Cody slowly start to outwardly abuse his EVP status to book himself against more of the new arrivals even though he keeps losing and AEW at least initially presented that wins and losses will matter.  Then when the rumors start to swirl that Cody is doing this abuse, he announces that he'll be (kayfabe) relinquishing his stroke so as to no longer create a conflict of interest... and then he relinquishes it to Brandi.  I'm not saying make them out and out The Authority (definitely don't call them that - unless you're having your babyfaces take snarky digs at them that way, though really that's cheap heat and crappy babyface work), but it wouldn't hurt to model them some after Hunter and Steph (because the AEW crowd already gets off on any petty mud flung Vince's way), you just have to treat it seriously (and not in the way WCW did under Russo and Ferrara with some of the bad parody stuff they did) and, honestly, I'm not sure Brandi (or really either of them, but mostly Brandi) has the acting chops to pull it off seriously, because she'll try too hard and that will ruin everything.

The thing is, this isn't ECW and Brandi isn't Francine Fournier and doesn't need to be taking bumps (hell, Francine didn't need to be taking a number of the bumps that she did from male talent), so this makes the comeuppance even more difficult to come by.

I always heard how much of a mess WCW was in it's final days but holy **** it's world title situation was insane.

From 12/27/1998 to 3/26/2001 there were 31 world title changes. 15 of them lasted under 10 days, 25 of them lasted under 60 days, and 29 consecutive reigns lasted under 80 days.

In 2000 alone, they were 19 world title changes, and it was vacated 6 times. No wonder they went extinct.