Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

16 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Actually watching something before you give your opinion on it?

Sir, this is the internet.

I'm not giving my opinion on whether or not Perry got the heat or not lol. The clips that he posted, that are now taken down, didn't prove or disprove it. 

EDIT - I see what you did there now. I'm hungover and cranky. My apologies lol.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

One of the clips had a loud "Cry me a river" chant. I dunno how anybody who watched that clip and heard that chant, would deny that.

Edit: Just watch this instead, and that video has a worse sound quality than the clips had and yet nobody can deny the reaction he got.

Edited by Edge

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm not giving my opinion on whether or not Perry got the heat or not lol. The clips that he posted, that are now taken down, didn't prove or disprove it. 

Just a little snark not aimed directly at you. Moreso the internet in general and the IWC specifically. People love to give their opinions on things and then loudly state they don't actually know anything about said thing. "I'd never watch a second of AEW. It sucks." and "I haven't watched WWE in X amount of years because it sucks." are two very common comments. "Opinions" like that invade everything from politics, to pop culture, to sports on the internet. 

Just now, wgbeethree said:

Just a little snark not aimed directly at you. Moreso the internet in general and the IWC specifically. People love to give their opinions on things and then loudly state they don't actually know anything about said thing. "I'd never watch a second of AEW. It sucks." and "I haven't watched WWE in X amount of years because it sucks." are two very common comments. "Opinions" like that invade everything from politics, to pop culture, to sports on the internet. 

Yeah, I know. I added "I see what you did there now. I'm hungover and cranky. My apologies lol." in an edit once I realized what was happening. Not on my best tilt this morning or is it afternoon yet? I have no idea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I know. I added "I see what you did there now. I'm hungover and cranky. My apologies lol." in an edit once I realized what was happening. Not on my best tilt this morning or is it afternoon yet? I have no idea.

No worries. 

It's just one of my biggest pet peeves about people. They base their opinions on being willfully and stubbornly ignorant and then stick to them regardless. It's Fing stupid, I hate it, and you see it all the time. 

"City or state X is a terrible place."

What didn't you like about it?

"I've never stepped foot in there and never will."

"LeBron has never come up clutch in the playoffs like Jordan did."

Actually LeBron James has 5 game winning shots in the playoffs and MJ only has 3.

"Well yeah but..."

"Politician X is a moron."

Yeah, so policy X, Y, and Z are super stupid.

"Yeah only an idiot would support that."

Oops my bad that's actually his opponent who you support that said that.

"Well yeah but..."

"Movie, TV show, musician X sucks. I've never watched/listened to any of it and I never will."

Ugh. People. They're the worst. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

No worries. 

It's just one of my biggest pet peeves about people. They base their opinions on being willfully and stubbornly ignorant and then stick to them regardless. It's Fing stupid, I hate it, and you see it all the time. 

"City or state X is a terrible place."

What didn't you like about it?

"I've never stepped foot in there and never will."

"LeBron has never come up clutch in the playoffs like Jordan did."

Actually LeBron James has 5 game winning shots in the playoffs and MJ only has 3.

"Well yeah but..."

"Politician X is a moron."

Yeah, so policy X, Y, and Z are super stupid.

"Yeah only an idiot would support that."

Oops my bad that's actually his opponent who you support that said that.

"Well yeah but..."

"Movie, TV show, musician X sucks. I've never watched/listened to any of it and I never will."

Ugh. People. They're the worst. 

I've been saying this for a while, the biggest culprit is ego and people's unwillingness to check theirs.  And the covertness of being behind a keyboard coupled with the widespread engagement that social media (and message boards before it) offers folks puts those egos into overload.  One of the simplest but most poignant things one of my doctoral professors told someone in our program that's always stuck with me (and I'll admit, I've pirated and used on several of my students since...): "Congratulations, you have an opinion."  And she just left it at that with absolutely no chill; it was perfect!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:22 AM, beekay414 said:

If that was the "most over person in the building" the building was dead or I'm just used to sold out crowds...

Lol if you're ****ting on that, you have no interest in any actual conversation about wrestling.

• Like 1

I will say this: I know that people harp on stuff like aew growing their audience and ratings (which I do not care) but I think utilizing their partnership with New Japan this way (Perry and Mox), it could be an avenue to revitalize their fanbase. Perry looked like a star. The issue will be keeping him hot once he comes back (as is generally the issue in aew) but the fanbase will know what he's doing in Japan. It has felt to me that showing the footage was supposed to be as much about bringing Perry's stock up as it was to shove in Punks face given that Matt mentioned loving scapegoat's work the week before. We'll see what happens but there's obviously something here.

Edited by Troy Brown
  • Like 1

Thank you. I also agree with your first statement. We can talk about a lot of things. I'm not even sure, that AEW can keep that momentum/reaction up, once Perry returns. I'm not even sure, if it works in a different city, but if that's a first reaction to what i posted, than we're clearly having a problem with the way we communicate with each other. There is no shame in admitting, that it was a somehow unexpected reaction by the crowd in Chicago. There is no need in playing it down or even worse shoot like that. This isn't a contest to win, but a normal conversation to have. If a building isn't sold out, that doesn't mean the crowd can't be as vivid as a sold out crowd in another building and city can be. An atmosphere doesn't depend on the amount of tickets that were sold, but the amount of passionate fans in the building. It's about the emotions that can be elicited from the audience. Don't say it was "timid". Those clips, even if not there anymore, definitely showed emotions and a vivid crowd, that was engaged with the character of Jack Perry. Those emotions were real and sure there are sold out crowds, with better reactions, but there are also worse reactions than that. Give the man his due for what he did there, which you can still easily do, even if you think it's the stupidiest idea of showing the footage, which again i wouldn't have done in that way as well. And yet, you can say that Perry got a great and maybe unexpected reaction from the crowd. Will he be able to keep that up? We'll see. But there is nothing to lose, in admitting that. Everything else will be answered when the time is right.

Edited by Edge

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Thank you. I also agree with your first statement. We can talk about a lot of things. I'm not even sure, that AEW can keep that momentum/reaction up, once Perry returns. I'm not even sure, if it works in a different city, but if that's a first reaction to what i posted, than we're clearly having a problem with the way we communicate with each other. There is no shame in admitting, that it was a somehow unexpected reaction by the crowd in Chicago. There is no need in playing it down or even worse shoot like that. This isn't a contest to win, but a normal conversation to have. If a building isn't sold out, that doesn't mean the crowd can't be as vivid as a sold out crowd in another building and city can be. An atmosphere doesn't depend on the amount of tickets that were sold, but the amount of passionate fans in the building. It's about the emotions that can be elicited from the audience. Don't say it was "timid". Those clips, even if not there anymore, definitely showed emotions and a vivid crowd, that was engaged with the character of Jack Perry. Those emotions were real and sure there are sold out crowds, with better reactions, but there are also worse reactions than that. Give the man his due for what he did there, which you can still easily do, even if you think it's the stupidiest idea of showing the footage, which again i wouldn't have done in that way as well. And yet, you can say that Perry got a great and maybe unexpected reaction from the crowd. Will he be able to keep that up? We'll see. But there is nothing to lose, in admitting that. Everything else will be answered when the time is right.

Oh I think this was definitely on purpose showing the Perry footage before his Chicago appearance. I think it was one of the bigger reasons tbh.

5 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Oh I think this was definitely on purpose showing the Perry footage before his Chicago appearance. I think it was one of the bigger reasons tbh.

Yes, that's the reasoning i mentioned before. I do think it backfired a little bit, but i also thought that they could have done a better job highlighting Perry. Then again, if he gets that reaction and continues to get that reaction once he returns to AEW, they managed to put him on another level. If that's what coming out of it, than i don't mind it and then they might even got proven right to show it. At least that's going to be interesting, once he returns, which i hope he'll do at Dynasty or the Dynamite after that.

33 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yes, that's the reasoning i mentioned before. I do think it backfired a little bit, but i also thought that they could have done a better job highlighting Perry. Then again, if he gets that reaction and continues to get that reaction once he returns to AEW, they managed to put him on another level. If that's what coming out of it, than i don't mind it and then they might even got proven right to show it. At least that's going to be interesting, once he returns, which i hope he'll do at Dynasty or the Dynamite after that.

I bet they bring him back in Chicago just to get the same exact reaction. I don't think anyone that watches AEW exclusively is unaware of who and what CM Punk is so I hope they are literally using him to get heat for their guys. A lot of people might think that's stupid but only time will tell.