Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

I would love the hear the story as to why The Undertaker and not Steve Austin was put into that spot in the main event.  I feel like that wasn't the OG plan.

Night 2 was entertaining.  Styles/Knight, Iyo/Bayley, and Logan/Owens/Orton were very good matches.  McIntyre/Rollins was too much finisher spam for my liking.  McIntyre survived what, 3 curb stomps?  And it took 4 Claymores to beat Rollins?  I'm never a big fan of those kind of matches.  Priest successfully cashing in shocked me though.

But the main event... it was a good match.  But it felt anti-climatic given everything that we know going in.  Austin made sense when you consider the history between Austin/Rock and Austin as a character.  It would make sense for Rhodes to reach out to him and for Austin to answer the call.  But The Undertaker, who isn't even really the "Undertaker" anymore?  It didn't feel right.  

It was a strong WrestleMania, but it lacked that one truly great match.  To its credit, there were no flat-out duds outside of Jimmy/Jey.  But I don't think it had any matches that were better than the top matches from last year (Rhea/Charlotte, Drew/Gunther/Sheamus, Owens&Zayn/Usos, Rhodes/Reigns I).  

Edited by iknowcool

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

They apparently signed Jacob Fatu but I'm not sure they'd put him right up on the main roster right away. Is Sheamus ready to return?

He was in Nashville this morning for the Premier League Fan Fest and looked fit for ring shape.

Strowman is, I think, ready to be one of the returns this week.  I kind of hope they hold Jacob and Zilla Fatu and Tama Tonga off until at least Smackdown, if not having them be guys brought in by Solo.  Having been around Jacob a good amount when he was working the indies in SoCal as part of WarBeast, he needs to be given the mic sparingly at first, even with them making allowances (for Rock and Roman) as far as swearing goes... Jake doesn't have the best filter when it comes to not casually dropping MF'ers in his promos.

Seth needs to heal, but he also needs to return as a heel and he was given the organic components out the yin-yang tonight to do just that.

As far as surprises for tomorrow night - I do really think Hunter makes an effort after the last couple years - to bring back the spectacle of the RAW after Mania, and probably will since he already annoucned they've broken the RAW draw record they only set the week prior.

It will be interesting to see how they pull it out, but I can feel a Gable heel turn coming - and it could work if he plays it almost like the Bo Dallas heel stuff in black and gold NXT where he doesn't believe he's a heel, but he still acts like a heel and believes people should be cheering him for it.

I realize there's still some meat on the bone in terms of story carrying over from Stand and Deliver, but since he's likely not going to get a championship put on him in NXT in the foreseeable future, and because I know Hunter is big fan of his, I think Dijak gets called up sooner than later.  He's another superb big guy worker, with enough of a character to build from, and he's starting to get up there in age so the clock is ticking to bring him up to the main roster.

As to likely MITB winners, if not Gunther, Bronson's probably up there because I know Hunter is on record as believing he's a main event level guy - and really he just needs more promo time.  Ricochet is a possibility, but again promos are my issue with Ric.  And I wouldn't rule out Andrade.

14 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I would love the hear the story as to why The Undertaker and not Steve Austin was put into that spot in the main event.  I feel like that wasn't the OG plan.

Night 2 was entertaining.  Styles/Knight, Iyo/Bayley, and Logan/Owens/Orton were very good matches.  McIntyre/Rollins was too much finisher spam for my liking.  McIntyre survived what, 3 curb stomps?  And it took 4 Claymores to beat Rollins?  I'm never a big fan of those kind of matches.  Priest successfully cashing in shocked me though.

But the main event... it was a good match.  But it felt anti-climatic given everything that we know going in.  Austin made sense when you consider the history between Austin/Rock and Austin as a character.  It would make sense for Rhodes to reach out to him and for Austin to answer the call.  But The Undertaker, who isn't even really the "Undertaker" anymore?  It didn't feel right.  

It was a strong WrestleMania, but it lacked that one truly great match.  To its credit, there were no flat-out duds outside of Jimmy/Jey.  But I don't think it had any matches that were better than the top matches from last year (Rhea/Charlotte, Drew/Gunther/Sheamus, Owens&Zayn/Usos, Rhodes/Reigns I).  

Part of it might have been that Taker was already in town for his 1-man show.  Part may have been that, if I'm not mistaken, Hunter is closer with Taker than he is with Steve (and Steve is very much a "Vince" guy - in terms of stigma).  But just from a logistical perspective, Taker's entrance (ironically in this instance) was easier to pull off in a timely manner, whereas Steve wasn't going to run for damn sure, and even speed-stomping he would have taken close to 2 minutes to get down that ramp and into the ring to confront Rock which would have required both Cody and Roman to sell for an even more unreasonable length of time.

And Taker made sense because Taker is to the WWE locker room what Dusty was to the NXT locker room.  And it's kind of a callback to the Roman/Taker Mania feud over "Who's yard it was" so Taker give his pseudo stamp of approval to Cody is meaningful.

Next to ending racism this has to be Cody Rhodes biggest accomplishment. 

Letting him be the 5th biggest star involved in the match that finished his multi-year story was a really nice touch. 

Edited by wgbeethree

5 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Next to ending racism this has to be Cody Rhodes biggest accomplishment. 

Letting him be the 5th biggest star involved in the match that finished his multi-year story was a really nice touch. 

It was nice of him to bring Candace Owens out with him too. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321
  • Like 1

I don’t really understand why people expected SCSA. What did he have to do with any of this story? 

I am a massive SCSA mark, he’s the GOAT imo, and I would’ve been excited to hear the glass break obviously, but I don’t get it.

Taker has the past with Roman, he has the past with Heyman…ontop of it being Mania and that being so synonymous with his career. 

• Like 2

Ok so this is my overall take of WM 40:

My favorite match was the tag match between Cody/Seth v Roman/Rock. That match was 40+ minutes with no interference. There were alot of cool spots and moments in it. Cody even got booed for interrupting the Rock's people's elbow. I knew the Rock would pin Cody that would set up for what would happen Night 2. And now that Cody beat Roman it will mean the Rock will be so disgusted with Roman saying that he pinned Cody to help Roman win Night 2 and he still couldnt do it. So the Rock will take over the Bloodline with Jimmy, Solo, add Jacob, Tama Tonga, and maybe even Zilla. Have Roman take some time off come back thinking he still has the Bloodline but nope the Rock is the leader and that will make for Rock v Roman at WM 41. In other words, this should have that HHH v HBK feud when HBK took time off when he got hurt and HHH took over DX and became the Game. When HBK came back him and HHH feuded.

My least favorite match was easily Jimmy v Jey. Never liked the build. It wasnt bc of Jey it was bc of Jimmy. They booked him so weak. He was a joke. Never understood why he randomly got back in the Bloodline. So awkward to me. The match was lame too. At least put on a great match to make up for a bad build. Or if the match was going to be lame have a great build. They had neither. The good news is with Jacob, Tama, and maybe Zilla coming in and the Rock becoming the new Tribal Chief of what possibly could be the new Bloodline, that feud can be revisted and be booked better. You have Jimmy and Jey cousin Jacob who is going to be so great. He is better than Solo easily. Solo is so weak too. And he wasnt meant to be weak but after beating Cena like he did you would think they would skyrocket Solo to the moon but nope. It was the complete opposite. So yeah have Jimmy and Jey continue to feud but with more family members involve and tell a great story that will ultimately end in WM41 and this time have Rikishi in the mix to try to bring them back together after they fight next year. And that could be Night 1. Then have them reunite Night 2 as a mystery tag team to be in a match for the team titles (Raw or Smackdown) and have them win it to finish them officially getting back together. Realizing that they are good without each other but they are legends together.

What I want to see coming out of WM 40? Priest finally cashed in his MITB and won the title. Now Id love for them to revisted Priest v Finn tension. Even have Finn win the MITB this year and really make Priest look over his shoulder wondering if he can trust Finn? Which will ultimately lead to Priest going solo and setting up him v Finn for the title and feuding with whats left of the Judgement Day.

Cody I want to see him feud with Gunther but not until WM 41. Have Gunther win the RR (even though technically he doesnt have too) and then fight Cody for the title. I dont want them feuding right away. Maybe tease it right away but dont make it happen until next year. That should be fun.

Rhea v Becky need to be revisted. Becky was sick and Rhea from what I heard was battling a very bad panic attack. So I would love to see both women fight again for the title soon. I love Bayley winning. I would want to see her and Iyo fight again but this time give Bayley a main event. She deserves it. Oh and back to Rhea v Becky, you can even throw in Liv to make it a triple threat since they are all tied to each other in some way on Raw.

Drew got his moment winning the title in front of a large crowd but his obsession with Punk cost him. So continue that until Punk gets healthy and then they fight. I would like to think though Drew has to get that belt back and main event in Scotland. I would think that would make more sense than Priest with the title continuing the tension within the Judgement Day even with Finn possibly as the one that feuds with him. And then of course eventually Punk gets that belt and some how WM 41 him v Seth possibly the main event regardless if there is a title involved or not.

And lastly I LOVED Sami winning the IC title and before he came out KO gave him a hug and then when KO was coming out for his US Title match Sami did the same thing. I figured Logan Paul would retain. I would love for KO to get the US Title though but my thinking his LA Knight will be the one to eventually take the title off of Logan Paul. Sami is going to feud with Gable as I can see Gable turning heel out of jealousy and just wanting to get that title for himself. 

Oh and we need to see Jade and Bianca take those women tag titles off of Damage Control and have them for a while before Jade turns on Bianca, bc she truly is a great heel than face, then that sets up a WM 41 match between the two. If Bayley keeps her title for a long time I wouldnt mind seeing a WM 41 match between her and a returning Charlotte Flair. Although I could see Charlotte v Rhea for Rhea title at WM 41 in a rematch since their match was so great. This time Charlotte can win and get that title off Rhea. So alot to look forward too past Mania but Im super pumped. Cant wait for tonight the Raw after Mania.  

So Seth has to get a shot at the title right? He sacrificed the most. And when he was congratulating Cody it looked like he say you owe me. So there will probably be some one off title match between the two. I could even see it happening on raw so they can move on to a bigger storyline.

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So Seth has to get a shot at the title right? He sacrificed the most. And when he was congratulating Cody it looked like he say you owe me. So there will probably be some one off title match between the two. I could even see it happening on raw so they can move on to a bigger storyline.

Hoping Seth turns on him tonight tbh

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Taker has the past with Roman, he has the past with Heyman…ontop of it being Mania and that being so synonymous with his career. 

But he didn't do anything to Roman. He went after the Rock. That was the only thing.

I am guessing SCSA was option A but either he declined or something happened and they pivoted to 'Taker. It worked well enough despite 'Taker looking a little rough.