2020 Draft Talk

swede700

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Cousins hasn't been a failure, and I don't know how or why you hold injuries against the GM. Ponder was an absolute miss, but I don't know another GM that has been bit that hard by injuries at the most important position.

If I read correctly, wasn't the triangle of authority still in power for the Ponder pick? I believe Spielman was promoted following the 2011 season.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but a couple of guys on SKOR North proposed a trade that, at first, I would have never considered, but after thinking about it, I think I'd do it.  Naturally, the trade partner would have to agree, but if they did, what do you think of the following:

Redskins receive: Danielle Hunter and Vikings' Pick #25.

Vikings receive: 2nd overall pick in the draft and they use it for Tua T.

Mike Zimmer would NEVER let this happen under his watch, especially when we are paying Kirk Cousins as much as we are.  I can understand his thinking, but I don't agree with it.  I'd do this IF Tua's health can be verified to a great extent.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

and we find a DE comparable to Hunter how...? at what cost...?

oooh, but we'd have a shiny new QB! lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

but we'd have a shiny new QB

The most important position on the field.

If the organization believed that Tua was another Mahomes/Wilson level QB, the cost would be worth it. 

They found Hunter in the 3rd round, they found Griffen in the 4th round. Jared Allen was a 4th round pick. Top flight pass rushers are much easier to find than top flight QBs. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but a couple of guys on SKOR North proposed a trade that, at first, I would have never considered, but after thinking about it, I think I'd do it.  Naturally, the trade partner would have to agree, but if they did, what do you think of the following:

Mike Zimmer would NEVER let this happen under his watch, especially when we are paying Kirk Cousins as much as we are.  I can understand his thinking, but I don't agree with it.  I'd do this IF Tua's health can be verified to a great extent.

It's an interesting scenario, and like you said not a realistic one with where this team is. However, this team has been looking for it's young franchise quarterback since....Tarkenton probably? Outside of a couple great years from Culpepper, we haven't had a young QB play at a top 10 level that I know of. If the cost to get that was a great young pass rusher and a late first, I think that is probably about the right value. Without Hunter, we'd probably have to trade a minimum of 3 1sts and change to get up that high, so you'd be valuing Hunter at 2 1sts plus a little extra.

That said, I wouldn't do that this year unless it was for Burrow. I would probably do it next year if this season were to go poorly and we could get a Lawrence or Fields.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Horrible, horrible show. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikestyle said:

If I read correctly, wasn't the triangle of authority still in power for the Ponder pick? I believe Spielman was promoted following the 2011 season.

It was Fraziers first offseason as the HC. I’d say it’s fair to argue that Spielman probably had significantly more say than he did compared to other drafts, especially considering the personality difference between Childress and Frazier. I’m guessing that the 2011 draft was likely most influenced by Spielman given the changes with the coaching staff. Didn’t Spielman get the official GM tag in in 2012. He probably had the role “unofficially” much sooner, that’s usually how promotions end up working.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

and we find a DE comparable to Hunter how...? at what cost...?

oooh, but we'd have a shiny new QB! lol

It would be hard to lose Hunter, but it's a lot harder to get a franchise quarterback than a good pass rusher - especially when we have a great defensive mind as our head coach.  It would be a sacrifice for a greater good, IMO.  As for the cost, we could do what we did for both of our current defensive ends - get one in the middle rounds and coach him up.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Horrible, horrible show. 

I actually like their show a lot of the time.  They are FAR superior to KFAN's Power Trip Show or The Common Man.  Both of those shows are brutally bad.  The thing I like about SKOR North is that they spend a lot of time talking about Vikings football, even this time of the year. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's an interesting thought scenario.  Not sure Washington would bite, but something worth chewing on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's an interesting thought scenario.  Not sure Washington would bite, but something worth chewing on.

They probably wouldn't bite, but yeah, we would have a case for making a presentation that would have to make them think.  Hunter is just entering the prime of his career and he is a proven quantity.  If they want to draft Young, he should be a very good one, but he is unproven.  They would also have the benefit of another first-round pick to add to their defense along with Hunter.  That can go a long way in improving their defense.  Like you said, it's at least an interesting scenario.