2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Trying to think outside the box:

If Cousins need an upgraded OL, what if we used both 1st round picks on OL, while still not sacrificing BPA

Would you be pleased or displeased with the selection of Andrew Thomas (#22) and Austin Jackson (#25), with the game plan that both are going to be in the starting OL unit somewhere (along with BO and Bradbury, maybe Reiff as well).

I wouldn’t be particularly happy given that this team isn’t built to get in shootouts and that is what will happen if the defense isn’t effectively addressed early and often. I’m all for Thomas or Jackson at 22, I’d just hope to see the next 2-3 picks be on defense.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t be particularly happy given that this team isn’t built to get in shootouts and that is what will happen if the defense isn’t effectively addressed early and often. I’m all for Thomas or Jackson at 22, I’d just hope to see the next 2-3 picks be on defense.

Apparently, I'm one of the few that is not the least bit concerned about the defense despite the losses.  This is the type of situation why Zimmer was hired in the first place.  He'll get the guys on defense ready to play, and he'll be able to scheme around the weaknesses.  If they take OL with both picks in the first round and go defense later, I'm absolutely fine with that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I really want to see us trade up for CJ Henderson. Maybe up to pick 15 if possible.

Honestly, with this draft and all of the Coronavirus stuff limiting prospect interaction/pro-days/scouting, I'm only trading down. That holds true for every round. The Draft is a crapshoot as it is, and this year it will be even more. Volume should be the name of the game. More tickets to scratch off, so to speak. 

As to the thought of using both 1st round picks on offensive linemen, I'm all for it. Cousins accounts for too much of our cap. We have to get more out of him, and Zimmer is going to have to get more with less on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, I'm one of the few that is not the least bit concerned about the defense despite the losses.  This is the type of situation why Zimmer was hired in the first place.  He'll get the guys on defense ready to play, and he'll be able to scheme around the weaknesses.  If they take OL with both picks in the first round and go defense later, I'm absolutely fine with that.

It would break my heart either. I was actually hoping to go after a top notch FA guard but they both got tagged. So, going with 2 O-line with both our picks would be fine. Our QB had a 26-6 ( TD’s to INT’s )line last year with what we had. Cousins could take the next step with a really good line.

Just now, swede700 said:

I love Madubuike in this draft. Not sure l would take him in the 1st round. BUT!!!, I’m all for trading our 2nd, 4th, and maybe a 6 or 7th rounder to move up to the beginning of the 2nd round and pick him. Would be a great fit on our line.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I understand this ... but I would be 100% behind using both 1st rounders on the OL, assuming they feel they are not only starting quality but high calibre draft prospects. I don't know if there is an LG/OT prospect that can work in that regard. But rolling out two 1st rounders + BO + Bradbury, would give Vikings more success in my opinion. Helps give Cousins a lot more time (abet there will be growing pains)  and should provide improved blocking for Cook on the runs. 

I have no problems using the 2nd/3rd/3rd directly on defense.

• Like 1

If I was a betting man (I'm an addict, well was an addict) I would bet the Vikings don't draft a WR in the 1st round. 

It makes zero sense to trade away a young talented proven WR to turn around and use that pick on a unknown WR. They're building a run first possession offense and do still have some decent talent in the group, throw in the fact that his draft class is loaded and we would still be able to add talent without spending a 1st.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeydudemanG said:

All of the top guards are projected mid rounds so we can get a Corner first round and two of the top guard prospects with our top 5 picks.

What we really should be trying to figure out is which Corner is Zimmer going to be trying to take based on his history.

In the first, we might have to choose if we want the best guard or the fifth best tackle. Would you rather have Josh Jones and Muti, or Ruiz and Niang? It's a tough question. 

1 minute ago, HeydudemanG said:

All of the top guards are projected mid rounds so we can get a Corner first round and two of the top guard prospects with our top 5 picks.

What we really should be trying to figure out is which Corner is Zimmer going to be trying to take based on his history.

So who is best suited for man since Zimmer can find a cover corner at the 7/11

• Like 1

Just now, vikestyle said:

In the first, we might have to choose if we want the best guard or the fifth best tackle. Would you rather have Josh Jones and Muti, or Ruiz and Niang? It's a tough question. 

I'm all in with the top guard prospect at 22 if he's there and worth it. 

• Like 1