OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 10 DL this year. Yeah, it's a lot, but we have Armstead, Blair, and Day entering free agency after this year and we won't have a ton of cap space next offseason. At one point I was predicting that Day would be the odd man out, but he seems to be working with the first team so far. Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Armstead/Thomas/Blair/Day/Jones/Taylor/Street on the 53 with Givens and/or Garcia-Williams on the PS is actually doable (see below). That would leave a core of Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Thomas/Jones/Taylor/Street next year before resigning or drafting anyone.

QB (2) - Garoppolo, Beathard OR Mullens

RB (4) - Coleman/McKinnon/Breida/Mostert

FB (1) - Juszczyk

WR (6) - Pettis/Samuel/Taylor/Goodwin/Hurd/Matthews

TE (2) - Kittle, Smith

OL (9) - Staley/Tomlinson/Richburg/Person/McGlinchey/Garland/Garnett/Coleman/Skule

DL (10) - See above

LB (6) - Alexander/Warner/Greenlaw/Lee/Mayo/Nzeocha

CB (5) - Sherman/Witherspoon/Verrett/Williams/Reed

S (5) - Ward/Tartt/Colbert/Harris/Moore

ST (3) - Gould/Wishnowsky/Holba

SUS - Nelson

PUP - Celek

IR - Magnuson (unless hopefully settled)

PS - QB Mullens OR Beathard, RB Wilson, FB/TE Mayfield, WR James, OL Reynolds, DL Givens, DL Garcia-Williams, LB Al-Shaair, CB Harris, S Flannigan-Fowles OR Robinson (I doubt any of these guys would be claimed by another team. Possibly QB, but most teams have a developmental QB that they already like and Mullens/Beathard would have to take a spot on their 53).

Edit - regarding keeping only 2 TEs...Hurd could play there in an emergency. Mayfield could always be promoted. Celek could be activated after six weeks. Toilolo, Paul, and/or Dwelley would probably be available on the streets if needed.

Edited by struby3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know it's not a huge injury or anything, but just more of the same. He needs to be a bit careful; I haven't heard much of anything about Ross Reynolds yet on the field (he struggled trying to handle Day in pass protection) but if he has a strong camp and preseason, he could easily push Garnett out. Garnett's great on that spot is tenuous at best

Cohn said Reynolds is very impressive in pass blocking drills. That's what he supposedly struggled with in college. But I'd say of the UDFAs, Reynolds definitely has the best chance of making the team. 

I forgot to add in my prior post, but Crocker said Malik Henry looked good. I didn't even know who that was lol. 

9 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 10 DL this year. Yeah, it's a lot, but we have Armstead, Blair, and Day entering free agency after this year and we won't have a ton of cap space next offseason. At one point I was predicting that Day would be the odd man out, but he seems to be working with the first team so far. Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Armstead/Thomas/Blair/Day/Jones/Taylor/Street on the 53 with Givens and/or Garcia-Williams on the PS is actually doable (see below). That would leave a core of Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Thomas/Jones/Taylor/Street next year before resigning or drafting anyone.

QB (2) - Garoppolo, Beathard OR Mullens

RB (4) - Coleman/McKinnon/Breida/Mostert

FB (1) - Juszczyk

WR (6) - Pettis/Samuel/Taylor/Goodwin/Hurd/Matthews

TE (2) - Kittle, Smith

OL (9) - Staley/Tomlinson/Richburg/Person/McGlinchey/Garland/Garnett/Coleman/Skule

DL (10) - See above

LB (6) - Alexander/Warner/Greenlaw/Lee/Mayo/Nzeocha

CB (5) - Sherman/Witherspoon/Verrett/Williams/Reed

S (5) - Ward/Tartt/Colbert/Harris/Moore

ST (3) - Gould/Wishnowsky/Holba

SUS - Nelson

PUP - Celek

IR - Magnuson (unless hopefully settled)

PS - QB Mullens OR Beathard, RB Wilson, FB/TE Mayfield, WR James, OL Reynolds, DL Givens, DL Garcia-Williams, LB Al-Shaair, CB Harris, S Flannigan-Fowles OR Robinson (I doubt any of these guys would be claimed by another team. Possibly QB, but most teams have a developmental QB that they already like and Mullens/Beathard would have to take a spot on their 53).

Edit - regarding keeping only 2 TEs...Hurd could play there in an emergency. Mayfield could always be promoted. Celek could be activated after six weeks. Toilolo, Paul, and/or Dwelley would probably be available on the streets if needed.

I'm really excited to see what Mayfield looks like out there. Is that weird? 

I think Al-Shaair will get there IR treatment (giving him another good year to recover from acl +mcl tear to be safe) so maybe put Henry on the PS in my opinion.  We paid him the highest bonus of any of our UDFAs. He just needs to learn to catch. 

I know Y2 is a Wilson fan, im not really. I'm hoping Walters pushes him off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cohn said Reynolds is very impressive in pass blocking drills. That's what he supposedly struggled with in college. But I'd say of the UDFAs, Reynolds definitely has the best chance of making the team. 

I forgot to add in my prior post, but Crocker said Malik Henry looked good. I didn't even know who that was lol. 

I just posted, but Henry was the udfa we have the biggest bonus to this year. Can't catch well, but insanely fast / quick. Perfect PS guy imho. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just posted, but Henry was the udfa we have the biggest bonus to this year. Can't catch well, but insanely fast / quick. Perfect PS guy imho. 

Crocker said Spoon has been able to handle the WRs every WR at the LOS but Henry was the only he saw able to beat him off the line. And he did some other good things. With the injury prone WRs we have, who knows, maybe Henry gets his shot at some point in the season? 

Saw the INT that Jimmy G threw and Pettis made a super weak attempt on the ball. You can never slow down on a slant and he just let Spoon cut him off. This is why Jimmy G loves Taylor so much as he is fearless in the MOF. Guess Samuel will be the guy Jimmy G goes to on slant routes lol. 

Glad to hear that Henry is looking good so far. I read that he had a case of the drops during OTAs. If he can stretch the field and catch the ball, then he could make a nice Goodwin replacement down the road. As Forge mentioned above, he got more guaranteed money than any other undrafted free agent, so the front office thought highly of him coming out of college.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Crocker said Spoon has been able to handle the WRs every WR at the LOS but Henry was the only he saw able to beat him off the line. And he did some other good things. With the injury prone WRs we have, who knows, maybe Henry gets his shot at some point in the season? 

Saw the INT that Jimmy G threw and Pettis made a super weak attempt on the ball. You can never slow down on a slant and he just let Spoon cut him off. This is why Jimmy G loves Taylor so much as he is fearless in the MOF. Guess Samuel will be the guy Jimmy G goes to on slant routes lol. 

I'm really excited to have fully healthy Trent Taylor back.

And that's assuming Deebo can get off his jam 😂😂

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm really excited to have fully healthy Trent Taylor back.

And that's assuming Deebo can get off his jam 😂😂

Taylor is going to have a very good season as long as he stays healthy.....A common, but concerning theme with our WRs.

Yep, he better be able to get off the jam or else Shanahan will have to run a lot of motion to help the receivers out. 

But looks like Jimmy G has no chemistry with Samuel right now and has been way off the target on passes towards him...I guess that's understandable, but I'm also guessing Samuel didn't work out with Jimmy G in LA? 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And NBC and CBS is blacked out on DirecTV right now SMH. 

First day of pads is always interesting but I'm also looking forward to seeing the one on one reps between the WRs and DBs. 

Good thing the niners are always on Fox!

CBS is terrible. I am glad we are on fox because they have much better streaming services. CBS makes you pay for their streaming service even if you have their channel. Its why they havent been able to strike a deal with directv. directv wants to offer all CBS shows in their on demand section for free, while CBS's app is not free. why would anyone pay for an app when they can get it free from directv? Why CBS feels entitled to get paid for a free goddamn channel that they literally broadcast out FOR FREE, is beyond me 

What kind of TV do you have? You might be able to pick up the digital broadcast of both of those channels without going through your directv box. If your TV doesnt have a built in antenna, you can buy one online for like $10-$20. Its really easy to do and its how I used to watch football before my mom agreed to pay for HD channels back in the day lol because its an HD broadcast

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why I laughed when folks said last year Reed was too small to play outside CB. BS, look at how physical he is and how he's able to change directions. Dude is a baller, let him play at his natural position!

Unfortunately, while I think that is really good coverage, you know that is getting flagged every time lol