OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I know....I still think he's the the odd man out tho. 

Possibly, but don't think he would be getting 1st team reps if he was on the bubble. Think Street will most certainly be a PS candidate. DJ Jones is another guy to look at in potentially being cut since this his role has been minimized. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Possibly, but don't think he would be getting 1st team reps if he was on the bubble. Think Street will most certainly be a PS candidate. DJ Jones is another guy to look at in potentially being cut since this his role has been minimized. 

Meh, you still need a NT against run-heavy schemes/packages and he's the only true NT/2-gapper on the roster really. Wouldn't makes sense to part with him imo. I just don't think Day offers much. He's a decent back-up. I just think Taylor has more upside. More athleticism, displys more pop/strength with his hands and has more flexibility. Its early but I don't expect Day to be playing with the first string come late August.

Edited by 757-NINER

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, you still need a NT against run-heavy schemes/packages and he's the only true NT/2-gapper on the roster really. Wouldn't makes sense to part with him imo. I just don't think Day offers much. He's a decent back-up. I just think Taylor has more upside. More athleticism, displys more pop/strength with his hands and has more flexibility. Its early but I don't expect Day to be playing with the first string come late August.

Jones isn't going anywhere for this very reason, but in reality, it's way too early to say who is/isn't making the roster. We're exactly one padded practice into training camp. As it currently stands, I would more likely bet on 10 DL (Buckner, Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Thomas, Jones, Day, Blair, Taylor, Street) than any of the 10 not making the roster (short of injury). The team wants to rotate a lot of fresh linemen and there are a lot of specialized roles for these guys. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Greenlaw has been such a pleasant surprise for me in camp. I really didn't like the selection. Great dude by all accounts, but I didn't love his tape at all. Seemed to lack urgency / aggressiveness in going after it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agree with you, J. I have Day not quite in my "lock" camp, but pretty close to it. We seem to really like the idea of speed on that line. I'm worried about Day getting pushed around, obviously, but he's effective against the pass. 

21 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Jones isn't going anywhere for this very reason, but in reality, it's way too early to say who is/isn't making the roster. We're exactly one padded practice into training camp. As it currently stands, I would more likely bet on 10 DL (Buckner, Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Thomas, Jones, Day, Blair, Taylor, Street) than any of the 10 not making the roster (short of injury). The team wants to rotate a lot of fresh linemen and there are a lot of specialized roles for these guys. 

I could certainly see us keeping 10 DL. Particularly if we end up only keeping 2 quarterbacks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agree with you, J. I have Day not quite in my "lock" camp, but pretty close to it. We seem to really like the idea of speed on that line. I'm worried about Day getting pushed around, obviously, but he's effective against the pass. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could certainly see us keeping 10 DL. Particularly if we end up only keeping 2 quarterbacks. 

I don't see the need to keep Street to be honest. At least this season. Put him on the PS and then see what happens next year when more slots open up. Almost zero percent chance we re-sign Armstead and Day may not be back either. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't see the need to keep Street to be honest. At least this season. Put him on the PS and then see what happens next year when more slots open up. Almost zero percent chance we re-sign Armstead and Day may not be back either. 

I don't like the chances of a 3rd round talent falling to the 4th because of injury making the practice squad, especially if said injury has no setbacks. #1 - the team liked him enough to spend a 4th on him knowing he wouldn't play until 2019, so I doubt he is even placed there. #2 - I don't foresee a player with his brute strength making it through to the practice squad. 

If he's not in 2019's plans, but might be in 2020's, then he is either going to need to be on the 53-man roster or spend another year on IR, IMO.

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't like the chances of a 3rd round talent falling to the 4th because of injury making the practice squad, especially if said injury has no setbacks. #1 - the team liked him enough to spend a 4th on him knowing he wouldn't play until 2019, so I doubt he is even placed there. #2 - I don't foresee a player with his brute strength making it through to the practice squad. 

If he's not in 2019's plans, but might be in 2020's, then he is either going to need to be on the 53-man roster or spend another year on IR, IMO.

Fine, go call up Baalke and have him talk to Street's agent so they could come up with a BS injury to put him on IR then lol.

But carrying 10 DL is just unnecessary IMO.

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yes, I was just typing out a similar response when you posted this. He might be on IR again with the potential for a designation to return once armstead gets injured lol

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I totally get the reasoning but I just think as a player, he was severely overdrafted. As much as ppl rag on Greenlaw's tape, I felt Street's was worst. Just don't think he's that good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it will need to be 2 QBs + a smaller number than people believe at another position. I think the 2 QBs will be the counter to 4 HBs. 

That other spot might be TE. I can see the team keeping Kittle and one other (Smith?) while keeping Dwelly/Mayfield on the PS, knowing that they have Juice and Hurd (potentially) as emergency options on game day.  

Really still a long way to go before any of this, though.

• Like 1